Kenwood DNX-9140 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 147 Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ohh good grief...

Honestly, what is more frustrating than dealing with a poorly designed and supported product is dealing with apologists who think everybody has to smile and be happy with everybody else, no matter what the circumstances are. Sad? With customers like you guys, it is no wonder that companies can get away with peddling such unpolished products with such poor customer support.

I paid a lot of money for the product and it does not function as advertised. The combination of poor bluetooth quality, poor user interface and bugs, combined with a lack of updates for both functionality and bluetooth handsets are unacceptable. I am not able to return the unit for a refund and have invested time and money in the installation. I have spent numerous hours on the phone with support and customer service. If you look at a few other car audio related forums, you will find numerous users with the same feelings and attitude.

Again, be happy all you want. I am not pleased with the product at any level and I am more than eager to discuss my issues with the unit in hopes of alerting other people to the problems. If people do not speak up and do so loudly, then problems never get addressed.

Next time, please leave the personal comments out of it. It is rather immature to take a swipe at me because I have a problem with a product that you happen to like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 147 Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Horse View Post

I tried using the call button, but it still won't call out. It may be a problem with my phone, which is an HTC Touch Pro, as it seemed to work with my friends cheapo flip phone. It's also kinda disappointing that I can't use SMS.

Dead.Horse - I have the HTC Fuze (Same as Touch Pro) from ATT. I am looking at getting the 9140 soon - how does the bluetooth work with it? Seems like you can't do SMS with the phone and the 9140? Any reason why not? That was a big selling feature for me
post #93 of 147 Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlot680 View Post

Dead.Horse - I have the HTC Fuze (Same as Touch Pro) from ATT. I am looking at getting the 9140 soon - how does the bluetooth work with it? Seems like you can't do SMS with the phone and the 9140? Any reason why not? That was a big selling feature for me

All of the DNX units appear to use a bluetooth module made by Parrot. They, for lack of better words, are complete garbage. The firmware is very buggy and rarely updated to support now phones or fix bugs for listed features. The unit attempts to sync the entire call log and phone book after each call, during which time many features ar disabled during the sync (3-5 minutes for a modest phonebook). The voice dialing, SMS and other features are hit or miss, even with phones listed as fully supported. These have been known issues since the relase of the DNX series and have not been addressed even with the new models this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 147 Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpher View Post

....And as for tips etc...heres my findings with the unit so far:
It will accept Topo-maps! (Use Garmins mapsource software)
It offcourse uses the same poi speedtrap-files as Garmin.
You can buy the Garmin Maps, they are much cheaper than the Kenwood ones (ive allready upgraded to "2010 first quarter" on my unit)...

Bonjour from France.
thx for the info.
I installed myself a 9240bt in my new Prius III.
I use a IPOD classic 120.
I am happy with the sound , not with the UI for the radio: seeing P3 and 87.8 is stupid when you should have the station's name.
Could you please give some details regarding the upgrade of the Maps.
Do you just buy a SD card or a DVD ?
post #95 of 147 Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 AM

is it worth switching from the dnx 8120 to this?
post #96 of 147 Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkm View Post

is it worth switching from the dnx 8120 to this?

I had an 8120 for about 3 weeks, did everything imaginable to get quality (or at least good) sound out of the unit and finally gave up.

Upgraded to the 9140 and have zero regrets. The quality of the sound for me is so much improved.

Just my 2 cents.
post #97 of 147 Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 AM

NEED HELP! Minor gripe but annoying to me nontheless.

Here it goes. On my iPod the 9140 play all songs from the selected artist one after the other. This is normally not that big a deal but it gets annoying when you only have one song for that artist and it keeps repeating it, over and over, until you choose something else. I know some of you will say "Well just change the frickin' song" and that's fine but I'd prefer to find an option that just plays what's selected. I don't have the repeat, shuffle, etc options on.

Any help would be appreciated, assuming anything can even be done.

Also, what the hell is the little 'TI' logo at the bottom of the LCD display? It's been on there since my installer hooked up the unit and I can't find out what it stands for.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Phillies44
post #98 of 147 Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM

I think the TI is for Traffic Information... not sure though.
post #99 of 147 Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget-ss View Post

I think the TI is for Traffic Information... not sure though.

Thanks. I finally figured it out when I found the TI button only available on the Tuner source input.

Regards,

Phillies44
post #100 of 147 Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 AM

The user interface feels more like a 1980 space shuttle computer than it does a modern stereo.

I am STILL waiting on my replacement for the 5120!

post #101 of 147 Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post

The user interface feels more like a 1980 space shuttle computer than it does a modern stereo.

I am STILL waiting on my replacement for the 5120!

Hey, the shuttle system was pretty advanced for something designed in the 1970's.

Now where the HELL is that volume control?

http://klabs.org/DEI/Processor/shuttle/

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

post #102 of 147 Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer32 View Post

Here's a link to the $150 rebate form:

Rebate Form

Rebate Website, use offer code: KEN-5001

Also, if you're still shopping and have access to AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service) the unit is selling for $1,199.00.

Anyone bought this item from aafes before? On the website, it states you need to buy the navigation module for another $579. Everyone else has that included. Is this a misprint or did Kenwood send a different packaging for aafes?
post #103 of 147 Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I don't have the unit but from what I read this unit is all inclusive except the hd radio or satellite radio. You shuold not be paying extra for the GPS module. I think it is a misprint.
post #104 of 147 Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 AM

hi ,how is your feedback regarding the baby ..?
post #105 of 147 Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 AM

i think you can ground it . it is not hard to keep away from police.
post #106 of 147 Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think this will work to allow you to have both HD and satellite at the same time. Kenwood KCA-S220A They have this on Cruthfields site. Here is the Item #113KCAS220

Right now you can only hook up one or the other.

curious about the same thing as boxxed
post #107 of 147 Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 AM

any one have any idea on the map updating ?
post #108 of 147 Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Bean Animal, settle down. I think you will find there is nothing better on the market. The world's not perfect. Make a CarPC and customise it all you want. Trust me, the kenwood units are a hell of a lot better than the avics! Just got rid of my AVIC-900BT

Has anyone got access to a current service manual or know how to modify DVD region settings? Thanks
post #109 of 147 Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts.andrew View Post

Bean Animal, settle down. I think you will find there is nothing better on the market. The world's not perfect. Make a CarPC and customise it all you want. Trust me, the kenwood units are a hell of a lot better than the avics! Just got rid of my AVIC-900BT

Has anyone got access to a current service manual or know how to modify DVD region settings? Thanks

The manual is $20 at www.pacparts.com B53-0725-00 SERVICE MANUAL
http://www.pacparts.com/reference/880/DNX9140.pdf

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

post #110 of 147 Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM

DNX-9140 XM Sat radio help please.

I'm having problems with my Sat tuner when using Seek2 on XM to switch presets. It will only switch to the next/prev preset if you wait a few seconds for the station to load and sometimes it will pick a channel at random. It used to work fine until a few weeks ago.

I have the Kenwood XM adapter w/the Audiovox mini-tuner. The dealer switched the XM/tuner boxes with the same result. I've tried several resets on the 9140 as well. Kenwood thinks that the head unit is bad and wants me to send it for repair. It's under warranty and only a few months old. I really don't want to send it off. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
post #111 of 147 Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive had this unit for a little while and hate it...plan to sell soon...buggy bluetooth, ipod makes it crash alot tryin' to show album art, and the crossovers suck..only highpass and low pass..

what is the best double din nav unit on the market right now? i was using a rockford 3sixty 2 to bandpass 2 peerless sls 8's and tang bang mids, but i wanna ditch that too

is there a good unit that also has active crossovers?
post #112 of 147 Old 02-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhustles View Post

Ive had this unit for a little while and hate it...plan to sell soon...buggy bluetooth, ipod makes it crash alot tryin' to show album art, and the crossovers suck..only highpass and low pass..

Well, I'm not sure there's anything "better". This unit seemed to have the least number of detractors in this class. I have one, and it has some very nice features and some odd limitations:

The good
Screen is very nice - bright and clear
Sound is good, though only through I'm using external amps
The nav is very nice, if determined to take me back roads more than I like
- voice command works well, though not flawless
All the different source options are great, though it would be nice to be able to hide the inactive ones (like TV and Satellite)
Boot time really isn't that bad (12-15 seconds), and the backup camera will come up in about 4-5 seconds (before the unit fully boots).
With 8000 songs, the ipod interface works pretty well (easy to nav)

The bad
My HTC touch pro won't stay connected via Bluetooth. It's odd as it works with my headsets, and it worked with my old Parrot 3000 add-on unit
USB and mp3 discs don't allow FF/Rew, just track fwd/back. That really sucks if you put a movie on a flash drive
the iPod interface uses the internal ipod decoders, which - aside from being lousy - can be fouled by iPod HD noise (Apple hardware sucks)
when playing a song on the ipod with artwork, you can't skip to the next song until the artwork loads.
In my unit, DVD video freezes from time to time (gotta send it back for that one).

I might be disappointed in the limited am/fm preset options, but I live in the sticks and I only have 3-4 stations I like, so having 6 presets each is no big deal.

If I could get the BT working (well, and the DVD), I'd be pretty happy with the unit. If anyone else has had an issue with the Touch Pro and figured ou how to get the connection consistent, I'd love to hear about it.
post #113 of 147 Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

Well, I'm not sure there's anything "better". This unit seemed to have the least number of detractors in this class. I have one, and it has some very nice features and some odd limitations:

The good
Screen is very nice - bright and clear
Sound is good, though only through I'm using external amps
The nav is very nice, if determined to take me back roads more than I like
- voice command works well, though not flawless
All the different source options are great, though it would be nice to be able to hide the inactive ones (like TV and Satellite)
Boot time really isn't that bad (12-15 seconds), and the backup camera will come up in about 4-5 seconds (before the unit fully boots).
With 8000 songs, the ipod interface works pretty well (easy to nav)

The bad
My HTC touch pro won't stay connected via Bluetooth. It's odd as it works with my headsets, and it worked with my old Parrot 3000 add-on unit
USB and mp3 discs don't allow FF/Rew, just track fwd/back. That really sucks if you put a movie on a flash drive
the iPod interface uses the internal ipod decoders, which - aside from being lousy - can be fouled by iPod HD noise (Apple hardware sucks)
when playing a song on the ipod with artwork, you can't skip to the next song until the artwork loads.
In my unit, DVD video freezes from time to time (gotta send it back for that one).

I might be disappointed in the limited am/fm preset options, but I live in the sticks and I only have 3-4 stations I like, so having 6 presets each is no big deal.

If I could get the BT working (well, and the DVD), I'd be pretty happy with the unit. If anyone else has had an issue with the Touch Pro and figured ou how to get the connection consistent, I'd love to hear about it.

Have you updated to the latest firmwares?

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

post #114 of 147 Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM

On the Kenwood DNX9140 is there a way to change what the Garmin voice says? I mean can I have it say something other that recalculating?
post #115 of 147 Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

I think there is an option to have it not say that, but I don't think you can have it say something else.

-Hammer32
SVR-2000
post #116 of 147 Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonten View Post

On the Kenwood DNX9140 is there a way to change what the Garmin voice says? I mean can I have it say something other that recalculating?

Use this, but you need access to the mini usb port in back to access the voice files. http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/TTSVoiceEditor

You will need to load the garmin usb drivers on a computer then connect that to the port on back on the Kenwood.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/16263

You can also use the WepUpdater to add more voices via the usb port.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspoo...50597026/show/

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

post #117 of 147 Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

Use this, but you need access to the mini usb port in back to access the voice files. http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/TTSVoiceEditor

You will need to load the garmin usb drivers on a computer then connect that to the port on back on the Kenwood.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/16263

You can also use the WepUpdater to add more voices via the usb port.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspoo...50597026/show/

Here is a trick to get into the GPS unit software. Use at your own risk...

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtop...=unread#unread

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

post #118 of 147 Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

Have you updated to the latest firmwares?

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/

You are trying to be funny right?

These units are complete crap and the firmware updates are few and far between. The last actual firmware updates for most of the models were well over a year ago for the DNX5 series and 5 months ago for the DNX9 series. The latest DNX9 update fixes GPS problems caused by the 2010 garmin updated and is supposed to fix GUI freezing problems. It does NOTHING to address the BT problems, interface problems or any of the other laundry list of flaws in the units.

Bluetooth?
They are almost 2 years behind with regard to current phone compatability. Buy a $2,000 - $3,000 head unit and within 6 months they refuse to offer firmware updates or new phone profiles? They refuse to fix the glaring interface and ergonomic flaws?

post #119 of 147 Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

It is not just your TP... it is all BT devices. We have tried with at least a dozen (not joke) different phones. Each profile has its own set of quirks. In most cases, the functionality is sporadic and the head unit eventually needs to be hard reset to get the BT functioning again.

It appears the the ENTIRE phone book and call log is re-synced after EACH call. This makes the BT unavailable for several minutes after each call.

Quote:

Happens on my DNX5 also. It appears to be a common problem.

Quote:

Sure, but that is no excuse for the lack of expected functionality. Even low end units have more robust preset naming and functionality.

Quote:

We have a TP, TP2 and a Imagio... no dice and don't hold your breath.

post #120 of 147 Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Wow,
Just from skimming the last few posts, I'm shocked at what I've seen about the bluetooth on Kenwood units. I was seriously looking into getting one of these units, but now I'm not so sure.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Tags
Kenwood Excelon Dnx9140 In Dash Double Din Dvd Multimedia Av Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page