Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 150 Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

Have you updated to the latest firmwares?

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/

You are trying to be funny right?

These units are complete crap and the firmware updates are few and far between. The last actual firmware updates for most of the models were well over a year ago for the DNX5 series and 5 months ago for the DNX9 series. The latest DNX9 update fixes GPS problems caused by the 2010 garmin updated and is supposed to fix GUI freezing problems. It does NOTHING to address the BT problems, interface problems or any of the other laundry list of flaws in the units.

Bluetooth?
They are almost 2 years behind with regard to current phone compatability. Buy a $2,000 - $3,000 head unit and within 6 months they refuse to offer firmware updates or new phone profiles? They refuse to fix the glaring interface and ergonomic flaws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

My HTC touch pro won't stay connected via Bluetooth. It's odd as it works with my headsets, and it worked with my old Parrot 3000 add-on unit

It is not just your TP... it is all BT devices. We have tried with at least a dozen (not joke) different phones. Each profile has its own set of quirks. In most cases, the functionality is sporadic and the head unit eventually needs to be hard reset to get the BT functioning again.

It appears the the ENTIRE phone book and call log is re-synced after EACH call. This makes the BT unavailable for several minutes after each call.

Quote:

In my unit, DVD video freezes from time to time (gotta send it back for that one).

Happens on my DNX5 also. It appears to be a common problem.

Quote:

I might be disappointed in the limited am/fm preset options, but I live in the sticks and I only have 3-4 stations I like, so having 6 presets each is no big deal.

Sure, but that is no excuse for the lack of expected functionality. Even low end units have more robust preset naming and functionality.

Quote:

If I could get the BT working (well, and the DVD), I'd be pretty happy with the unit. If anyone else has had an issue with the Touch Pro and figured ou how to get the connection consistent, I'd love to hear about it.

We have a TP, TP2 and a Imagio... no dice and don't hold your breath.
post #123 of 150 Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Wow,
Just from skimming the last few posts, I'm shocked at what I've seen about the bluetooth on Kenwood units. I was seriously looking into getting one of these units, but now I'm not so sure.
post #124 of 150 Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post

These units are complete crap and the firmware updates are few and far between. The last actual firmware updates for most of the models were well over a year ago for the DNX5 series and 5 months ago for the DNX9 series. The latest DNX9 update fixes GPS problems caused by the 2010 garmin updated and is supposed to fix GUI freezing problems. It does NOTHING to address the BT problems, interface problems or any of the other laundry list of flaws in the units.

Bluetooth?
They are almost 2 years behind with regard to current phone compatability. Buy a $2,000 - $3,000 head unit and within 6 months they refuse to offer firmware updates or new phone profiles? They refuse to fix the glaring interface and ergonomic flaws?

Ok, not a Kenwood fanboy. I agree on the UI but a lot of the BT problems are generic phone problems that happen on other units not just Kenwood.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....45741&tstart=0

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #125 of 150 Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

Ok, not a Kenwood fanboy. I agree on the UI but a lot of the BT problems are generic phone problems that happen on other units not just Kenwood.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....45741&tstart=0

Not trying to beat you up as a fanboy (honest). At the same time, there is abosuletly no excuse for a company like Kenwood to sell such unadulterated crap. It is poor engineering from the ground up.

The Kenwood BT stuff is OEMed by Parrot.. IMHO Parrot is complete and utter crap anyway...

There are plenty of hands free BT products that don't suffer from these problems. The major auto manufacturers have figured out how to make it work with OEM headunits and/or add-on modules. It is not rocket science.

The bigger issue is the fact that Kenwood continues to release products based the exact same platform and firmware without addressing the KNOWN issues and has an update cycle that is far from acceptable.

I will never purchase another Kenwood product as long as I live. FWIW I used to be a kenwood dealer and purchased this unit based on the longtime favorable relationship and product line. This product is pure crap and has no hope of being fixed, let alone supported over its expected lifespan.
post #126 of 150 Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 AM

I am very pleased with everything except the MIC quality on calls. I am not sure if this a BT issue or the MIC. BT works great to stream from my iPhone 3gs and my older 3g. I hear everyone just fine. The biggest issue is that everyone has is hearing me. Has anyone swapped out the MIC??

I rate the GPS - 8 (wish I could find the freaking traffic module for it), Radio - 9, DIVX movies - 6, iPod - 7 (16:9 gets screwed up), Touchscreen - 10, DVD Movies - 9, BT - 7 (it would be higher if the freaking MIC worked better)

I am overall pleased with the unit. I have had it about 6 months and got a great deal on it ($950).
post #127 of 150 Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM

So far, I haven't had any major issues with my unit. I haven't played around much with SMS and phonebook features, but everything else has been great. The initial load time is a tad long. When I use my ipod, i still have album artwork loaded and I noticed track changes being slightly longer, but nothing in the 8 second range.
My one issues is with phone calls, but not actually with me. The person on the other end doesn't have problems with hearing me, but there seems to be a lot of feedback when they talk. Basically, when they talk, it comes out of the tweeter and feeds right back in to the mic. I didn't really notice until I called a phone that was connected to my car. Any one have an idea for that? Possibly relocating the mic as the best option with adjusting volumes?
post #128 of 150 Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtipper View Post

So far, I haven't had any major issues with my unit. I haven't played around much with SMS and phonebook features, but everything else has been great. The initial load time is a tad long. When I use my ipod, i still have album artwork loaded and I noticed track changes being slightly longer, but nothing in the 8 second range.
My one issues is with phone calls, but not actually with me. The person on the other end doesn't have problems with hearing me, but there seems to be a lot of feedback when they talk. Basically, when they talk, it comes out of the tweeter and feeds right back in to the mic. I didn't really notice until I called a phone that was connected to my car. Any one have an idea for that? Possibly relocating the mic as the best option with adjusting volumes?

Can you set the phone speaker for right or left only. That might help.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #129 of 150 Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 AM

mntmst - i am ready to install 9140 and want to use existing mic which is up on the rear view mirror. I saw your previous post about the service manual and thought you might have it. Does the service manual have connector pinout diagrams for all connectors on the back of the unit?

Any one have pinout tables, diagrams of the connectors?
post #130 of 150 Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalosa View Post

mntmst - i am ready to install 9140 and want to use existing mic which is up on the rear view mirror. I saw your previous post about the service manual and thought you might have it. Does the service manual have connector pinout diagrams for all connectors on the back of the unit?

Any one have pinout tables, diagrams of the connectors?

I only have the manual for the older d*x8 series. Will PM you a link where you can find that. The BT mic uses a standard mini-plug so that should be easy to connect to yours.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Ca...wners_Manuals/

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #131 of 150 Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Hey guys, looking to buy a headunit for my Camry.

Thing is, i currently have a blue tooth in my car and even though this Kenwood has a Blu Tooth as well, can i have the option to still use the BT i currently have and not enable the In Dash Navs BT?
post #132 of 150 Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
In order to get Blu Tooth to work on anything, you first must pair the devices. If you don't pair then the blu tooth doesn't work.

Long story short... pair on your existing set-up if you wish and don't pair on the Kenwood.
post #133 of 150 Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtipper View Post

Any one have an idea for that? Possibly relocating the mic as the best option with adjusting volumes?

Your mic volume is most likely too high.
post #134 of 150 Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

In order to get Blu Tooth to work on anything, you first must pair the devices. If you don't pair then the blu tooth doesn't work.

Long story short... pair on your existing set-up if you wish and don't pair on the Kenwood.

I hear that, but while the installer will install the Kenwood wont he disable the old BT wiring to make this one work?
post #135 of 150 Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM

One more questions folks, Do i need to order a kit to make this install in my 2010 Camry?
post #136 of 150 Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I need help and it looks like I came to the right place.

I can pick up a used 9140 for $500 locally. All works fine EXCEPT one of the USB's was cut (not the ipod one). Apparently it was an attempted robbery or something. For 5 bills would this be a good replacement for my stock Durango's NAV system? I need NAV, Sirius, DVD, Back-up Cam, steering wheel controls. I have an iPhone 3g, btw.

I'm torn between Kenwood and/or Pioneer Avic head units.

Thanks in advance,
dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #137 of 150 Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM

First post here... Found this thread by searching for my HU, and looking to see about adding waypoints...

So, I thought I'd throw out some good info that might help others;

I've bought a refurb'd unit... for $900, and have updated everything (firmware, bluetooth, GPS Maps...etc) and have had NO problems with anything since those updates.

... the bluetooth used to drop after each call ended. Doesn't do that any longer, and works perfect (with a Motorola Droid) especially after adjusting the mic volume to 4, and placing it directly in front of me (steering column or at visor area)

... the mapping, used to not show roads/street names too well... and with the update, it's helped. Shows me what I need (in my opinion), and is FAR superior to an Alpine (INA-W900)!! Plus, I was able to upload my own POIs for red light cameras, personal waypoints as POIs...etc.etc. with (proximity) alerts!

... I was able to upload my own splash screen. Very cool and custom feature.

XM, Traffic, iPod....etc all work great, and I've not had any problems. Even with this refurb unit... I bought a 3yr warranty, and hadn't had to use any of it. I'm thoroughly pleased, as this unit replaced my B Pillar mounted Garmin Street Pilot 7500 unit.

If it helps, here's a link to the install (at ford-trucks dot com);
ford-trucks.com/forums/955698-considering-a-new-head-unit-with-nav-dvd-etc-check-this.html
(please note, the NAV pictures are BEFORE firmware and software upgrades)

Enjoy!!
post #138 of 150 Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 AM

I ordered this unit to put into my new car once it gets here but I'm having some doubts about it.

1. From what I've read the boot up time is about 30 seconds. Has this improved at all with new firmware? How does that time compare to similar units (i.e. Pioneer Z110BT, Kenwood 7160)?

2. I don't care too much about navigation but I do care about music and iPod/iPhone integration. In the beginning of the thread users were complaining about album art causing track changes to take 8-15 seconds. Is this still the case with the current firmware? Is the only solution still to just stop syncing album art? I like to keep my music organized and labeled and album on my iPhone and iPod Classic and I would rather not get rid of album artwork. Are there any other alternatives? Do other models within the Kenwood family do the same thing? Would another head unit be better (if so, which one)?

Thanks!
post #139 of 150 Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 AM

Speaking for myself in BOLD;

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeelaPo View Post

I ordered this unit to put into my new car once it gets here but I'm having some doubts about it.

1. From what I've read the boot up time is about 30 seconds. Has this improved at all with new firmware? How does that time compare to similar units (i.e. Pioneer Z110BT, Kenwood 7160)?

The boot up time, is long. However, if you have a backup cam... it comes on right away (no matter the boot up time). So by the time I either use 'remote start' to start my vehicle... or, if I'm jumping in and backing up out of my driveway... the unit is already on, or comes on by the time I need it to. I've personally never had a problem with it's boot up time. It's not a deal-breaker for me, as the unit offers SO MUCH MORE than other units.

2. I don't care too much about navigation but I do care about music and iPod/iPhone integration. In the beginning of the thread users were complaining about album art causing track changes to take 8-15 seconds. Is this still the case with the current firmware? Is the only solution still to just stop syncing album art? I like to keep my music organized and labeled and album on my iPhone and iPod Classic and I would rather not get rid of album artwork. Are there any other alternatives? Do other models within the Kenwood family do the same thing? Would another head unit be better (if so, which one)?

I don't know... I use my iPod but don't have album art on all the albums. I've never noticed a problem of lag... but it could be that my PC's 450Gb of music with album art... hasn't seen my 80Gb iPod in a year or so. Again, "album art" isn't important to me being it has nothing to do with the music itself.

I also just plugged in a USB Pen Drive I had about 10 MP3s on, and it loaded fast... some had album art, some didn't even say the song playing... just the file name. But, they played well... fast load, and using Random it made for a great drive to the BBQ.

I guess we all have our different reasons for wanting this type of head unit. I chose it MOSTLY due to it's Garmin based Navigation. All the features that came with it, are growing on me (by leaps and bounds!)

Thanks!

post #140 of 150 Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM

I purchased the 9140 about a week ago and I have to say so far it is performing flawlessly. Bluetooth sounds great, no problems. GPS seems to be exactly what I was looking for. What I am struggling with is the preferred way of setting up an external USB drive. Currently, I have a 320GB drive that I want to put my music on so there will be no need to CD's anymore. Now I am not going to use the whole thing as I think the unit will not be able to handle it. So my question is and after reading several posts, still is, what is the best way to structure my music folders? Should I create 255 folders? Each numbered 001, 002, 003, etc, with 255 files in each? If so how will I be able to view the music on the unit? Right now all I see is folders with the mp3's inside? Can I view by album or genre? If there is a way, I am having trouble finding it. Any help is appreciated.

Lastly, a question on the remote. When I use it to browse through my USB folders how do I page down, can't seem to find that either. Driving me crazy.

Other then these few things, the unit is superb, not sure why all the hating on here. Oh well.

Thanks.
post #141 of 150 Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybewecan View Post

I purchased the 9140 about a week ago and I have to say so far it is performing flawlessly. Bluetooth sounds great, no problems. GPS seems to be exactly what I was looking for. What I am struggling with is the preferred way of setting up an external USB drive. Currently, I have a 320GB drive that I want to put my music on so there will be no need to CD's anymore. Now I am not going to use the whole thing as I think the unit will not be able to handle it. So my question is and after reading several posts, still is, what is the best way to structure my music folders? Should I create 255 folders? Each numbered 001, 002, 003, etc, with 255 files in each? If so how will I be able to view the music on the unit? Right now all I see is folders with the mp3's inside? Can I view by album or genre? If there is a way, I am having trouble finding it. Any help is appreciated.

Lastly, a question on the remote. When I use it to browse through my USB folders how do I page down, can't seem to find that either. Driving me crazy.

Other then these few things, the unit is superb, not sure why all the hating on here. Oh well.

Thanks.

Just have good mp3 tags. The unit will read all the file tags and let you select all songs by what every albums, artist or genre you assigned. I have 6000 files on a drive (the limit is 7000). It works but is a little slow to index the database. I switched to an IPOD for music and videos but still use the USB drive when the IPOD is out of the car.

I use mp3tag to setup and embed art into the mp3 files. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #142 of 150 Old 06-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the assistance. I ended up doing basically what you said here. I finally found the "PLIST" button. It just takes a little while to come out of being grey. Seems to work just fine. Would you say using an iPod is much faster then a USB drive? It seems alot of users are doing just that.
post #143 of 150 Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM

So I was the victim of the first gen of these the DNX8120 Well, not exactly victim but I've been disappointed since the day I installed it. I've posted about this before.
The audio quality is subpar, actually it's crap as far as I'm concerned. I've never been happy with it. My $200 pioneer "backup" HU is lighyears better.
I did understand it was a tradeoff, I wanted satnav and BT, so this was the best at the time.
Now that I have a nexus one, all of a sudden SMS no longer works, it used to the first time I paired it. The phone book has to re sync after every call and it's the most annoying thing. I have no problems with the BT quality, never had a complaint when I use the hands free.
I see that not much changed with the new gen stuff, as I was looking to get an upgrade.
So not Kenwood.

Anyone have suggestions of similar products that actually work and have decent audio circuitry?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post

Bluetooth?

post #144 of 150 Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapur View Post

So I was the victim of the first gen of these the DNX8120 Well, not exactly victim but I've been disappointed since the day I installed it. I've posted about this before.
The audio quality is subpar, actually it's crap as far as I'm concerned. I've never been happy with it. My $200 pioneer "backup" HU is lighyears better.
I did understand it was a tradeoff, I wanted satnav and BT, so this was the best at the time.
Now that I have a nexus one, all of a sudden SMS no longer works, it used to the first time I paired it. The phone book has to re sync after every call and it's the most annoying thing. I have no problems with the BT quality, never had a complaint when I use the hands free.
I see that not much changed with the new gen stuff, as I was looking to get an upgrade.
So not Kenwood.

Anyone have suggestions of similar products that actually work and have decent audio circuitry?

Cheers

Never had a problem with sound quality (DVD-A disks) with the 8XXX units but the other complains are valid. SMS over BT is a crap shoot with any new unit. I know you've soured on Kenwood but have you looked at the DNX-9960 series?

http://www.customcartips.com/videos/...0-av-demo.html

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #145 of 150 Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Hi mntmst, I actually like kenwood, most of the systems I've installed in my cars over the years have been primarily kenwood.
It's just disappointing that I see a brand that I like do crap like this, if they don't take care of their customers then they're just like any of the others, mass sellers, which is the point I understand.
I called their support to see how I can get the nexus one to work properly, and I'm not kidding he told me they haven't messed around with the 8120 in a while! what the hell is the point of firmware updates when they don't do any. I mean is it too much to ask kenwood for an Android profile one year after I paid 1500 for a head unit?
But I will check out the new lineup, now that I know where kenwood is weak, I can do better homework.

cheers
post #146 of 150 Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

I've looked hard but can't find a posting with a direct answer on the topic and was hoping to hear from someone with actual knowledge on the issue.

I'm considering the 9140 for my FJ. The question that's keeping me on the fence involves the level of HU control of Sirius satellite radio replay functions, such as song alerts, rewind, etc. (For the purposes of the post, I'm assuming that the universal tuner does not allow the HU to control, nor do I believe it even has, these functions. That IS an assumption, so if I'm wrong, please let me know)

SO...I believe I am limited to a set up where I'll have to use a plug and play Sirius satellite radio receiver with replay capabilities (such as the starmate 5) as the HU's satellite tuner. I would connect that through the satellite input with a sr20V (NOT through the aux).

At that point, is the head unit's functionality dictated by the receiver being used? In other words, If I use a receiver with replay, can the head unit be used to control the replay functions, such as rewind, or is the HU limited to simple channel selection?

Seems like a small issue, but it's important to me as I'd like to control everything through the HU. That's what it's there for, afterall.

If anyone can speak to this question, I'd sure be glad to hear from them. Thanks.
post #147 of 150 Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM

someone mentioned 9960 i have a question does anyone know how to get a bigger clock on this unit also how to show tthe clock when navigating...maybe kenwood is gonna wait until they get sued by someone who says they were squinting to see the clock lol....
post #148 of 150 Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggz1 View Post

someone mentioned 9960 i have a question does anyone know how to get a bigger clock on this unit also how to show tthe clock when navigating...maybe kenwood is gonna wait until they get sued by someone who says they were squinting to see the clock lol....

In the Garmin settings you should be able to select what items you want displayed during NAV.

Settings > Map > Map Data Layout

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #149 of 150 Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM

I know this thread is ancient, but we bought a Jeep last year w/ this H/U in it. I ran all the updates (firmware, BT, & Garmin) and I have to say, it works like a champ. The picture quality (screen) is okay, but all the other features work great. No issues w/ BT phone calls or music from my iPhone 5S (and 4S).

If anyone comes across a used one, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. It's sad, though, that Kenwood took 3 years [2012] after it's release to actually get good/working updates out for this unit. BTW, I've found that it will also stream Padora/I heart radio through the BT connection.
post #150 of 150 Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 AM

I guess "it works like a champ" depends on the context.

The DNX units have a GUI that would better fit a 1980s era space shuttle, not a modern head unit.
The Sirius/XM interface is almost unusable. Text display settings are poorly thought out and never keep their settings. You can't navigate stations by number. The "preset" stations for all sources are labeled with static labels "P1", P2" etc. when they should be customizable or at least take on the channel number. The dialer buttons are far too small and the sound BT sound quality is atrocious. The mic is as cheap as could be, as is the pre-amp section. SOUND eq settings take far too many touches to reach. The garmin interface is ok, but the touchscreen driver is horrible and the unit locks up regularly. The clock is so small that you can't read it...etc

I honestly have nothing good to say about this head unit... and the only reason I never replaced it was because of the amount of money I spent on it and what it would cost to replace. The result is that I will never purchase another Kenwood product as long as I live. These things were designed and built by engineers, not end users and in 6 years the interface has not changed for the better on ANY of them.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Tags
Kenwood Excelon Dnx9140 In Dash Double Din Dvd Multimedia Av Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page