I want my car LOUD!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forget SQ, forget biased opinions... I just want SPL and I want to POUND... So heres whats up, I'm currently running a 500RMS MONO D ALPINE amplifier thats powering two 250RMS 500PEAK 15" KICKER COMPS (yes I know..) and my box is all but good... It's a half sealed (the idiot who made it, my friend... cut two holes in each side thinking it'd make a formitable port wrong!) so it's actually "ported." The system sounds good but its nothing to shake a stick at... my friend right now is running 200RMS 500PEAK Kicker MONO D on his two 12" eD I think 550RMS?? in his SUV, yes I'm aware SUV's POUND because of air space... but his system should not be blowing mine away like it's... so in turn im upgrading:

1 x Kicker L5 750RMS 1500PEAK @ DVC OHM requires 3.0 cu (NEW 08 /w 2 years warrenty @ $200) going to be running it @ 2 OHM.

1 x SubZero 15" L5 Vented enclosure (used MDF and is 3.5 cu)

1 x 500RMS ALPINE MONO (Yes I'm aware thats about 250RMS underpowered on the L5 but I plan to upgrade my AMP to a hifonics 1350RMS when I get a second L5.)

Ok so so far the differences in my system will be:

#1 - I'll have a ported box that's not leaking like a mofo (my current box has MANY leaks and sounds terrible...)
#2 - I will be running a NEW subwoofer of the square L5 series (I hear the 15" L5 is equal to three 15" Comps when properly powered.. but thats just rumors)
#3 - This is my biggest question.. my car currently doesnt have a fold down seat, so all of my dB is trapped in the trunk... I'm going to cut 4 3inch round port holes (with resonance chambers inserted into them) to create air flow from the trunk to my car (theres no way for me to get around this I've asked everyone and search everywhere!!! Will I get the 6-10dB gain most people have reported I will get??
#4 - I'm currently overpowering my COMPS @ 250RMS per... not to mention my comps are SVC so I'm losing a lot of power there... I think the 750RMS L5 will more suite my amps needs... if not be more than it needs...

Basically summed up.. Is my upgrade going to net me a bigass bass boost or is all for nothing?? let me RECAP:

Going from sealed, leaking crappy material ( i mean this box sucks) box to a vented professional made box... and from two 15" COMPS that are (cracked and have a broken surround) to a single 15" L5... and from a enclosed trunk to one with about a square 2 ft of port... also from overpowing my comps to just powering my 15 right... and also going from SVC to DVC...

Will this be a sufficient upgrade and will I get about the same performance as my friends SUV? I mean aside from the AMP this IS a complete upgrade... I"m even modifying my Grand Prix SE to make this happen... I want the loudest possible without pulling my set down adn my budget is set so don't recommend me extras.. just tell me if this is going to pound and if it's going to be a BIG improvement..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

"I want my car LOUD!!"

---take off the muffler.

all kidding aside, i have seen people remove the 6x9's from the rear deck and use those as pass through for sound. they are pretty much defeated when the boomy bass is back that way. you will not get much pressurization by having everything located within your trunk. not much you can do about it but the sound should improve when compared to your previous system. you will still not be close to the your friend's suv in terms of output.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You said you don't really want to but just take out the back seat. Many moons ago I was very into this work, and a good friend owns a competition audio shop. Take out the back seat, fire right into the cabin.

If you have a fold down center arm rest in the back then make that open to the trunk. You keep both seats as they are, but end up with a big hole into the trunk with the arm rest down. The holes you are making will help, but without a serious air flow, you're not going to get SUV loud.

If you don't have the fold down arm rest and you have a bench, and are looking to keep $$ tight, you can get a new seat from a junk yard, then you can drop the center arm rest, fire through that hole. You can also make your swiss cheese of the rear deck. Between the swiss cheese holes and the big hole from the center arm rest you will start to get lots of air movement and you will notice a difference for sure.

Best of luck.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #4 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

sounds great, so my main question is will this be a lot louder?? if I do all of this?? i mean should I bother?? I dont care if its not as loud as his SUV but I want close.. if im running a 15" L5 compared to two puny eD's 12's I should have a lot more bass right?? Ill drill the holes and start frisking junk yards my friend told me to do the same thing but im weary about how muchit'll cost me... I'm going for $$$ right now this is already a big upgrade... going from sealed to vented, from two crappy comps to a single 15" L5 running my amps true power and im also making vents from my trunk to my cab... the only problem is!!! is this going to be a sufficient difference or am I wasting time?? should I just start doing the junkyard searching method?? honestly I hear I might pay up to $200 for a seat thats in as good condition... I want it to be a nice seat not one with stains and holes thats a different color haha...

Sorry for the wall of text.. I just spit it out
post #5 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 PM

dont even bother with this setup.....save up and get something good...like AQ, SSA, AA,WMD Sundown or Fi

Northern Illinois University 2010
post #6 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinn View Post

sounds great, so my main question is will this be a lot louder?? if I do all of this?? i mean should I bother?? I dont care if its not as loud as his SUV but I want close.. if im running a 15" L5 compared to two puny eD's 12's I should have a lot more bass right?? Ill drill the holes and start frisking junk yards my friend told me to do the same thing but im weary about how muchit'll cost me... I'm going for $$$ right now this is already a big upgrade... going from sealed to vented, from two crappy comps to a single 15" L5 running my amps true power and im also making vents from my trunk to my cab... the only problem is!!! is this going to be a sufficient difference or am I wasting time?? should I just start doing the junkyard searching method?? honestly I hear I might pay up to $200 for a seat thats in as good condition... I want it to be a nice seat not one with stains and holes thats a different color haha...

Sorry for the wall of text.. I just spit it out

www.car-part.com
you can locate any car part from around the country and many will ship to you if you can't find one locally.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis87 View Post

dont even bother with this setup.....save up and get something good...like AQ, SSA, AA,WMD Sundown or Fi

I said no unbiasedness... yeah if I wanna pay $400-500 a subwoofer I would go Fi or AA or RE but nooo not to mention those woofers are like 3000RMS yeah I really want to go and buy a 3000W AMP too, i'm on a money budget and L5's are fine ive heard them in other cars... the only problem is I have no port from my trunk to my cab... dont post in my topics anymore please...
post #8 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

mmm couldnt find any seats on that site... in my area :-/ its a 97 Grand Prix SE i live in New hampshire
post #9 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM

yes since most of those subs can be had for 300 or less and only their top of the line versions take close too 3000rms....they do make more then one sub you know.....rookie

post #10 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

should I just start doing the junkyard searching method?? honestly I hear I might pay up to $200 for a seat thats in as good condition... I want it to be a nice seat not one with stains and holes thats a different color haha...

If you've not been to one, you might be surprised what you can find at a junk yard. I don't know your area, so maybe you can't find it there, but there are a few big junk yards around here where you can find most any part. It doesn't cost anything other than your time to walk a yard and see what you can find.

To the rest of your gear questions, sorry but I don't know them well enough to answer. It has been years since I've been a car audio geek....

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #11 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

mmm couldnt find any seats on that site... in my area :-/ its a 97 Grand Prix SE i live in New hampshire

your gp is compatible with years 97-03. i just did a quick search and found a few throughout NH. select your state under "all areas/select an area".
when it asks for non-interchange with similar models & use 1997-2003 as the year range. this will list whatever is available in your area. pick up the phone tomorrow and call to verify complete fold down option or arm rest fold down option and to verify compatibility with your 97. good luck.
post #12 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

would it make a big difference between fold down or middle arm rest?? honestly I like the armrest option as two people can still sit int he back and with the port holes I make it should prove to be a great option... but what do you guys think?? go with complete fold down or will it not matter??

btw how am I rookie?? all of those subs are like $400 plus... they're not worth it... I can get two L5 15's for the price of a single Fi or RE and will sound louder...
post #13 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

wow that sites awesome... within 30 miles there a place with a 1997 Grand Prix seat same color and everything... only problem is I don't know if its a fold down or what?? its only $60 too well in my affordability range... argh.. I'll give them a call when I wake up I suppose to see if its a fold down.

also does anyone know how hard it's to change a seat out?? i heard it's two bolts in the trunk and then 2 clamps at the top of the seat, undo both bolts and the seat pulls right up... am i right?

mmm this would really be the best upgrade is for me to get this seat... so I can have open cab.
post #14 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 PM

i just god damm told you they are all under 300 for 2/3 of all those companies subs

post #15 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis87 View Post

i just god damm told you they are all under 300 for 2/3 of all those companies subs

Link me to where they are under $300 if you can even find them in the U.S.... ebay doesn't have them... which is where im getting my L5 so damn cheap.. $200 for a 2 year warrentied brand new L5 15" yeah thats a good deal...
post #16 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 AM

o m g....they have websites you know.....
ficaraudio.com
Audioque.com
soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/
pierceaudioproducts.com

post #17 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

those sites are retarded... i dont see any pricing just dont post in my topics like i asked please.
post #18 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 02:07 PM

jesus u are stupid.....for the first site click on speakers, then click on one of the speakers.....for example click on the Fi Q

For the second site click on products then order form

third site click on subwoofers on the side, then click on sound solutions audio

fourth site click on the WMD picture

i hope you do realize these are some of the best subs you can buy?

post #19 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

$400 for lowest line of 15" Fi
$350 for an AudioQue ive never heard of 15"

other sites are just random ebay like sites... lol dude just stfu and gtfo your not even smart...everything you listed i looked into way past my pay grade
post #20 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 PM

wtf are you talking about....Audioque doesnt even make a $350 woofer....and they are the sister company to Digital Designs which is regarded as one of if not THE best subwoofer company in the world....And Fi "cheapest" sub worth owning starts at the Fi SSD which is 229 for their 18".....you must have downs or something. If you honestly think kicker is in the same league then you know nothing in the car audio world. Try writing on an actually car audio forum like ROE or steve meades forums....i bet you dont even know who he is

post #21 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Actually I feel like a douce now... I didnt realize how good the SSD line was... sounds friggin loud... 800RMS is not bad neigther.. and I can afford a 15" easily... also I could get dual 1 ohms and wire series for 2 ohm... that would work awesome... in the future I could get another one and a bigger amp... how much louder do you honestly think the SSD will be than the L5 does anyone else agree I should go with the SSD?? im going for SPL not SQ
post #22 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks memphis.. just ordered myself a 15" SSD Fi Audio... I think I'll be happy, the reviews for it are amazing... it's rater louder than the L5 for SPL and it's round so it should have decent SQ as well. at $200 you really cant beat it from an american made company... I was originally going to go Fi or RE but thought their SPL subs would be $400 now I see this is below the BL but above the other two kinds and its actually rated highly, people have been running 1000RMS to the 15" SSD thats amazing.

Honestly the SSD will yield better SPL than the L5... everyone agree?!?! I heard from a Kicker fanboy that the SSD is a lot louder than the CVX's...?
post #23 of 31 Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think ill be okay running dual 1 OHM @ 2 ohm?? there rated for it... and so is my amp.. I just want to make sure my 550RMS will handle it :-p I'll wire in series of course..
post #24 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 AM

The SSD is a fine sub! theyll take a little over 1000rms with no options, and sound great as well. Just make sure you have the proper amount of airspace for the sub....Enjoy!

post #25 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

will the SSD indeed live upto its expectations and beat out the L5/CVX though?? also I know Fi is a great company, I just want the best I can get... I really want this sub.. nothing but great reviews... should I go with the dual 1 ohm subs in series if I want to run on a 2 ohm amp?

Also does coppercoil make the lows quieter or just make the SQ better? if the latter im getting the copper coils..
post #26 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM

with copper coils you get better SQ, and yes the SSD will be louder than the L5 most certainly. Just give it the recommended enclosure size and it will be perfect. Also dual 1 will be what you should get. It will give a final load of 2ohms to your amp.

post #27 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

yep... im currently running two 15" comps overpowered on my amp because they're 250RMS.. will this blow them away?? and if so would one 15" SSD properly powered take out two CVR's 12's properly powered?? or a single type-r / CVX?
post #28 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 PM

overpowered ....prolly not....when you factor in impedance rise/box rise....your subs are getting less then 250 rms a piece now....as for the two 12" kickers vs one 15" ssd.....thats a tough call the 2 12"s have more cone area, and will handle the same power as the 15"....also the ideal enclosure will be larger for the 12"s then the 15" meaning more air being moved.....the 12"s would prolly be louder if you give them their rated power.....BUT the kicker can not be pushed to their max with out losing SQ....the fi ssd will retain more sq when pushed to its limits due to its stronger suspension and magnet

post #29 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

So if I only have a 600RMS amp should I buy the single SSD?? will it be as loud as two 12" CVR's powered with 600RMS? also the SSD is 100% curtain louder than the L5 15?
post #30 of 31 Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 PM

sounds great
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page