4 Fi Audio IB3 18's walled off 15Hz tune in a VAN BUILD LOG - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 304 Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just found this thread a few days ago and have been very entertained reading it. Thanks for taking so much time to post so many pictures.

1. did you fix your hum/alternator whine? If not, do you have your head unit and all the stuff in the back grounded in the same place?

2. good to see you using EQ more. I know you don't want the response flat, but I think the best way to set this system up is to adjust the crossovers for where the drivers are comfortable, and for power handling, and to some degree flat response...then go back and EQ as you wish...then if needed tweak crossovers from there. Maybe that's what you did. Remember, even an electronic crossover at 24 db is not a brick wall. If you use 710 Hz hp on one and lp on another driver in theory there will be a hump in the reponse there, correct me if I'm wrong?

3. The stock price of the company that makes spray foam fluxtuates depending on what project you are working on.

4. Have you considered trying a tuneable port? For most types of music you could tune it up higher and gain a lot of efficiency.

5. I admire your ambition. If you applied this ambtion in the right place you could be very successful in a career. And maybe you already are...so please don't take that comment the wrong way, and I'm not saying you shouldn't be spending as much time as you are on the van (it's a hobby you enjoy). The fact that it's for function over form doesn't matter, if you wanted you could have made it look nice. Having the motivation and drive to do something like this is what counts. The rest are minor details.

6. 14 kHz high pass...I can only hear to 15 kHz! So for my ears that would be a range of what, 1 of one note? Lol but when that note was played those tweets would stand and deliver

7. are you running a high pass filter on the subs? Sorry if I missed it. As you hinted to, you might be getting some nasty wave forms when the amps clip, you don't want anything resembling DC going to those drivers. Also your van may not behave like a textbook/WINISD model when it comes to drivers unloading under the tuning point.

8. would there be any advantage to running caps or would it take way too many to help (or are you already running caps and I missed it)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 304 Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
great post vitamin, especially about foam stocks going up and down

1: yes, I am embarrassed to say i forgot to reconnect the factory ground to the front battery after I disconnected everything to install the Iraggi HO alt. Everything was still grounded through the "Big 3" runs from the engine block and chassis to the front battery as well as the rear two, but it was enough to create slight volateg drop. Hooked it back up and everything was fine

2: Ive been using EQ more and more, currently the subs are maxed with a center at 22Hz +9dB... still gets quiter on the extreme lows on some songs, then another song it may be too much... learnin as I go!

3: Thats hillarious. i got a LOT of **** for foam, I learned a LOT on this build, but if I ever get to do it again, I will use Great Stuff again... but i will apply it in less quantities over more time...give it time to expand and cure, say 4 cans per side every other day, rather than 6-14 cans at a time every couple of hours. My car is non-biodegradeable... in 2 million years the metal and wood will all be gone, the rubber and plastic thin...but that foam will live on!

4: I retuned to 27Hz and it failed miserably. I think the large diameter vs short length made it a giant leak, almost free aired them

5: Thank you! I wish I had a career that lots of ambition translated directly to BANK lol. I don't.

6: I just rode around with perfect_prefect twice tonight, his single pair of coaxials HURT me... they are crossed at 5.3kHz and are LOUD... I can only take SPL like that from 14k on up and 35Hz on down

7: I have the amp's HP all the way down (off I believe) but with the PXA-H701 I have them HPed at 20Hz 6dB/oct to be safe, though I can disable it even with Bass I Love You and have plenty of room

I think 10 100 farad banks would help, if I happened to have them Id hook them up, but I would never spend money on caps ever again. The cost vs batteries is the same but batteries help so much more. I do need at least 2 more batteries and to install my other alt. If I could just save up and get the brackets and belt, my system would be so much better off. Almost blew my stuff up several times today due to voltage drop clipping my amps sending them into protect and almost killing the subs
post #303 of 304 Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
regarding the subs...if all you wanted to do was kick drum and quick hits they would be of more use. On the material that more closely resembles a sine wave once they drain they are doing very little and you are just relying on your batteries and the cable to deliver the voltage. Also, if those are regular lead acid batteries...regardless of how good your cable is...the batteries have internal resistance that can be significant in a case like yours (you probably already knew this). Lead is not a very good conductor. That's where the multiple batteries helps a lot.
post #304 of 304 Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Absorbed Glass Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page