Which Nav HU to choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been researching the last few weeks on a new in dash Nav unit for our new Odyssey. We decided not to go with the factory installed DVD/NAv unit (and saved ourselves about $4,000), so looking to build a system that's comparable: Nav/DVD HU, ceiling mount DVD screen (maybe 2 of those).

My emphasis in features are:
-strong navigation features/accuracy (speaks street names, accurate time of arrival, etc, POI's, traffic)
-dual zone (DVD in back, music up front)
-solid BT
-accepts existing back up camera
-plays nice with steering wheel controls

Less interested in:
-ipod connectivity
-music management
(I don't have an iPod, and radio/Sat music is fine by us)

So, been looking at the AVICZ120BT, DNX9140, DNX9960, Alpine 900BT. Any others? I see Eclipse out there, but not sure about them. Clarion? JVC?

Also, ceiling mount LCD screens: seems like a lot of brands I never heard of, and there's certainly questionable quality out there.

I know each has its own pros/cons...and at first I though the Kenwood's nav performance was the strongest, but (of course) read some negative things about it.

So I guess I'm looking for (on average) the 'pros' that closely match my 'emphasis'.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uphilli View Post

So I've been researching the last few weeks on a new in dash Nav unit for our new Odyssey. We decided not to go with the factory installed DVD/NAv unit (and saved ourselves about $4,000), so looking to build a system that's comparable: Nav/DVD HU, ceiling mount DVD screen (maybe 2 of those).

My emphasis in features are:
-strong navigation features/accuracy (speaks street names, accurate time of arrival, etc, POI's, traffic)
-dual zone (DVD in back, music up front)
-solid BT
-accepts existing back up camera
-plays nice with steering wheel controls

Less interested in:
-ipod connectivity
-music management
(I don't have an iPod, and radio/Sat music is fine by us)

So, been looking at the AVICZ120BT, DNX9140, DNX9960, Alpine 900BT. Any others? I see Eclipse out there, but not sure about them. Clarion? JVC?

Also, ceiling mount LCD screens: seems like a lot of brands I never heard of, and there's certainly questionable quality out there.

I know each has its own pros/cons...and at first I though the Kenwood's nav performance was the strongest, but (of course) read some negative things about it.

So I guess I'm looking for (on average) the 'pros' that closely match my 'emphasis'.

thoughts?

If NAV is first on your list then Kenwood (Garmin) is light years ahead of the rest. Nothings perfect but the 9960 qualifies as having everything you want.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Have a look at JVC. I have the double din 830 and I just love it.
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=133&page=1
It's got all the bells/whistles at a better bang for the buck. It even comes with detachable face (which was what really sold me) Of course the 830 doesn't have NAV (I didn't need it since I already have a good NAV system built in). But it even has a built in dolby decoder and I have mine connected to a 5.1 dolby system.... It's steering wheel ready... back up cam ready.... blah blah blah

But they do have a NAV model here:
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=1

I will say however that the NAV model does not seem to have the dual zone dvd system, and it seems you can only play WAV files through cd and dvd (my 830 has both dual zone dvd and WAV playback through usb, cd and dvd) but that I believe is the only difference.

May be of interest....Most in-dash dvd players have a built in safe guard that prevents the use of the main dvd screen for dvd movies during driving. This includes the jvc models. The jvc models however are the easiest to bypass... just connect the parking brake wire to ground. (My wife likes to watch while we're on the highway.... and why shouldn't she be allowed!?!)

Some of them can be quite complicated to get the main dvd player to operate... even when parked. With Alpine for example you have to go through a series of steps with both the brake pedal AND parking brake.... push this twice... release that once.... really quite silly.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page