Need advice New Nav Unit for Silverado - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a new navigation head unit soon. I am leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. Would anyone recommend or not recommend this unit. Right now I currently have a stock unit in my truck. No amps or aftermarket speakers installed. Features I am looking for are navigation, bluetooth and connectivity with my iphone 4.

Thanks for you advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by roechas View Post

Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a new navigation head unit soon. I am leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. Would anyone recommend or not recommend this unit. Right now I currently have a stock unit in my truck. No amps or aftermarket speakers installed. Features I am looking for are navigation, bluetooth and connectivity with my iphone 4.

Thanks for you advice

Nice unit.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi. Just saw this thread. If you have not purchased the unit yet, it is a great unit. Takes a bit to install compared to a standard unit due to the Nav system. I installed it in my Accord. It's a great unit. If you want the best sound though, you may want to look into changing out your stock speakers, it'll make a big difference IMO.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #4 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I did go ahead and purchase this unit. I will probably install it this weekend. What speakers do you recommend if I don't go with a separate amp and sub?
post #5 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you're not going with separate amps, any decent speaker with a sensitivity of 90 and above will work just fine. Pioneer does have some that are very nice (TS series). You'll have to find the size that works with your vehicle and you can use the existing wiring if you get an adapter (some places give them when you buy from them). I used Infinity Kappas, they are very sensitive. I like their sound, but they were not recommended for my vehicle as some mods needed to be done in order to fit (too deep for the doors). They were just my preference, there are many out there from a lot of companies that will work just fine (most are much better than the stock units - I usually recommend that speakers be changed first for the best bang-for-the-buck improvement in sound).

As for the Nav unit itself, if you use a harness adapter, it's fairly straight forward. There are 3 extra wires to deal with, one is to the speed sensor (you can tap into the fuse box harness or right to the PCM harness, which is under the hood): This is 'required' for the nav portion to work correctly. Another one is to the switch on your parking brake, which is also 'required' for you to get into your main settings (most of which you cannot activate unless the parking break is on). The last one is to your reverse light. This one I would say is not really required unless you are installing the optional rear view camera (it is required for this part to work). Also, if you 'drive' in reverse without this connection, the nav won't be accurate for that moment (but how much do you really drive in reverse?).

Have fun with it!

Ray

Ray

post #6 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I really look forward to getting it installed. I will do some research and look into switching out the factory speakers.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Since you're not going with separate amps, any decent speaker with a sensitivity of 90 and above will work just fine. Pioneer does have some that are very nice (TS series). You'll have to find the size that works with your vehicle and you can use the existing wiring if you get an adapter (some places give them when you buy from them). I used Infinity Kappas, they are very sensitive. I like their sound, but they were not recommended for my vehicle as some mods needed to be done in order to fit (too deep for the doors). They were just my preference, there are many out there from a lot of companies that will work just fine (most are much better than the stock units - I usually recommend that speakers be changed first for the best bang-for-the-buck improvement in sound).

As for the Nav unit itself, if you use a harness adapter, it's fairly straight forward. There are 3 extra wires to deal with, one is to the speed sensor (you can tap into the fuse box harness or right to the PCM harness, which is under the hood): This is 'required' for the nav portion to work correctly. Another one is to the switch on your parking brake, which is also 'required' for you to get into your main settings (most of which you cannot activate unless the parking break is on). The last one is to your reverse light. This one I would say is not really required unless you are installing the optional rear view camera (it is required for this part to work). Also, if you 'drive' in reverse without this connection, the nav won't be accurate for that moment (but how much do you really drive in reverse?).

Have fun with it!

Ray

Do you have any good suggestions on where to get a wiring harness for my 05 silverado? It doesn't have any extra features that need to be hooked up like onstar, steer wheel controls, etc. I went to walmart and bought a wiring harness that was suppose to be compatible with 94 - 05. This harness would not work. I called a local audio shop and they said it would cost $100+ for a wiring harness because gm vehicles 2003 and up have special harnesses because the chime and other features are controlled through the stereo. I am out of town right now, so I can't take my truck to a shop to verify it needs a special harness. Thanks for you help.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, didn't read this until this morning (busy with family on the weekends). Anyway, not sure why it's so expensive as mentioned. They are usually very cheap. Here is one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-GM02B-...2&sr=8-3-spell

You only use the wires that you need (the extra ones mentioned earlier, the 3 wires, are not hooked up to the harness, but run directly). Also, are you using a kit to install your unit, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-2009-...3175312&sr=8-3

It makes it easy for a quicker, cleaner fit.

I actually purchased my unit from Crutchfield.com as they had a sale + rebate on the unit. Plus, it comes with a free harness, free dash kit, free iPod cable, and a free component speaker system from Pioneer (not advertising for Crutchfield, but just the deal I got - they usually give all the necessary equipment to make installs much easier, plus any tech help if you need it).

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130AVIC....html?tp=20212

Just a question, have you done your own install before? There can be some tricky parts in just removing dash panels, etc.

Ray

post #9 of 20 Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
The link for the wiring harness that you supplied is the exact wiring harness that I have. This harness does not fit. I plan to take it to an audio shop today to get the right one.
I do have a dash kit, but it is not the one you suggested. I think it might be one that converts it to a single din. I will have to double check and see what it looks like when I put the side mounts on to the unit and slide it in.
That's a good deal you got on yours especially with everything that was thrown in with it. I purchased my on amazon and with the $100 rebate I got it for about $450, plus had to buy iPod cable separate.
I have installed stereos in my vehicles in the past, but not a navigation unit. I am definitely not a pro, but I think I will be able to work my way through this. I appreciate your guidance. I plan to install later today, so I will post up if I runs into any trouble.
Thanks
post #10 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...r.html?tp=3486

The problem with the newer GM vehicles, especially trucks is that there is not a 12 volt line to tap off for power. Ran into this with my brothers 08 silverado. There are ways around it BUT you lose the active warning system. My recommendation is that you get the adapter.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #11 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...r.html?tp=3486

The problem with the newer GM vehicles, especially trucks is that there is not a 12 volt line to tap off for power. Ran into this with my brothers 08 silverado. There are ways around it BUT you lose the active warning system. My recommendation is that you get the adapter.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought it. Got everything installed last night but ran into a snag when putting the dash cover back on. The radio sticks out about 1/2 in too far for the cover to snap in place. When I installed it the the radio was flush against back of the head unit area. There is a small plastic back brace where the factory stereo fit into to it. Does this need to be cut out or should this unit fit in without any permanent modifications?
post #12 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

cubdenno,

Glad you chimed in, I have not worked on GM vehicles before.

Roechas, sometimes you need to do a permanent mod, like cutting the mount for the previous unit. Some of the OEM units are not as deep. I usually never worry about doing that type of a mod in vehicles (have to do it a bit on speakers, but again, not an issue). Did you get to test the unit out yet?

Ray

post #13 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a couple pics
LL
LL
post #14 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roechas View Post

Thanks. I went ahead and bought it. Got everything installed last night but ran into a snag when putting the dash cover back on. The radio sticks out about 1/2 in too far for the cover to snap in place. When I installed it the the radio was flush against back of the head unit area. There is a small plastic back brace where the factory stereo fit into to it. Does this need to be cut out or should this unit fit in without any permanent modifications?

if memory serves, yes. You need to cut that piece out to allow for the extra mounting depth needed.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #15 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good! Did you get to play yet? I think you'll find it sounds great and has a lot of options (works well with and iPod and also with music on a USB stick). Navigation is pretty darn good, as good as any Garmin I've used. Voice commands take some getting used to, just talk slow and clearly. Have fun!

Ray

post #16 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Looks good! Did you get to play yet? I think you'll find it sounds great and has a lot of options (works well with and iPod and also with music on a USB stick). Navigation is pretty darn good, as good as any Garmin I've used. Voice commands take some getting used to, just talk slow and clearly. Have fun!

I quickly tried the voice commands and it would not work. The voice kept saying it couldn't hear me. I did connect Bluetooth to my phone and make a Call through the unit and the mic worked fine. I will play with it more tonight after work.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice!!

Factory Speakers?

Adding a set of components up front will really liven up your system. And say an 8" sub for a little low end ummph.

What I found amazing with pick ups is the very little needed for good sound. Obviously those competing will take a different approach. But those of us that just want something that sounds very good to great,find that it's not that wallet breaking. You have a great start with that head unit. Looks great.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #18 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Yes, right now I do have factory speakers. But your right on the money, I would like some of simple component setup with a small sub, nothing fancy or expensive. Any ideas? I think someone recommended Polk speakers, but I don't know much about speakers.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, any decent brand of speakers will out do the OEM version you have now (by a lot! ) and you do not have to spend a lot of $. Just some decent speakers and a decent sub (any good name) will work fine. You may be restricted to space, so that will limit your options.

As far as the voice commands, they are different than using the phone portion. Your unit needs to be in the navigation mode, then push the talk button. If you don't say anything, it will ask you to give a command. In the manual, you have a list of recognized commands (I found you can actually deviate a bit and still works).

As far as speakers, Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, JBL, JVC, are great. JL Audio is good, but gets more expensive and Rockford Fosgate can be found from decent prices to expensive. There are other brands that will work great also.

Ray

post #20 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

just some advice, if you are planning on getting in behind the deck again any time soon, go ahead and attach at least one set of rca's and a wire to the remote turn on lead and leave them tucked/ziptied under the dash. That wy in the future, those things are available and you don't have to worry about remembering how to disassemble the dash.

not sure if your truck is a standard or extended cab. If standard, you can fairly easily put an 8 and with a little more work a 10" sub. Partsexpress.com has a line called Dayton. Their reference line HO 10" likes small ported enclosures.

The sundown E8v2 is coming soon. The SA8 is already out. both are amazing subs (my son had 4 E8v1 subs in his Mazda3.

Polk has some nice subs out. The JBL GTO line are great.

Really it comes down to budget and space available. It's just bass. easy to achieve in a vehicle.

As for components, i would just watch for sales. Buy something that will fit easily. If you can mount the tweeters up high like the A pillars or dash that will help raise the soundstage. buy as big a woofer as you can afford in the component set as the transition from bass to midbass is very important. Otherwise research! That is the most fun to me. Trying to find what kind of deal I can get.

XBL-Steelhouse1

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page