RSDc 124 and amp help...Thanks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, after tons of debating and hours of research, I bought my first pair of PG subs (RSDC124's) due to the outstanding reputation and reviews the RSD and RSDc's have gotten.

Now my only trouble is trying to find an amp to power them with. I'm a little rusty on ohms and impedance, so i'm trying to decide what kind of amp I should get...ex-monoblock, class d, etc. They will be in a sealed box in the back of my dodge quad cab, and i'm guessing I need to run them at 1 ohm? If you could please help me with some suggestions on what amps to look at and what ohmage (is that a word? if it's not im making it one), it would be GREATLY appreciated. My budget range for an amp is up to $200.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Also--These are the amps i'm looking at...let me know if it will do the trick.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PV2000.1-.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VN1-2000D.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+TQ1601D.html

What's the difference between monoblock and class D, and what's best for me?

I'm on a budget right now (I do plan on upgrading)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Great subs!! my son runs 4 RSdC102 in his Park Avenue.

Amp budget?

If as I understand the part numbers yours subs have the 4 ohm coils. So dual 4 ohm coils per sub.

Monobloc is a single channel amp. Most often seen as a sub specific amplifier (limited bandwidth usually)

Class D is the type of Amplifier circuit design. usually known for efficiency and substantial power output.

You can wire those subs several ways.
1.series the coils so that each sub is now an 8 ohm load (run a single wire from the positive of coil 2 to the negative of coil 1. Attach your speaker wires from the amp to the positive of coil1 and the negative of coil 2. Do this on both speakers. End result is a 4 ohm load. OR>>>
2. parallel wire each coils positive and negative to the appropriate amp terminal. This nets a 1 ohm load.

Option 2 is where you need to be careful.Easy to smoke an amp if it's truly not 1ohm stable! Another option is to get 2 smaller 2ohm stable mono amps and run each sub off its own amp. Sundown Audio is a brand I am very familiar with. My son just went from a Sundown SAE1000D 1000 watt at 1 ohm to 2 JBL14001 amps. 1 amp per 2 subs for a total of 3ooowatts. Anyway, the Sundown was efficient and never strained under the load. I hate for people to spend money on a "deal" that dies quickly most often after the warranty expired. Anyway. hopefully my rambling has helped.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Also, Should I look into getting a capacitor? Didn't know if I would need one for a 1200 watt amp..
post #4 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernuts View Post

Also, Should I look into getting a capacitor? Didn't know if I would need one for a 1200 watt amp..

No. Caps generally are a waste of money. if you don't have one, there is no need to buy one.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #5 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the answer about the caps.

II've already decided i'm going to buy that amp you recommended when I upgrade, but i'm curious if you've heard anything about the ones I linked, and would they work? I'm definitely going to upgrade down the road but for right now I really can't spend more than about 200...Would you mind taking a look at those amps I listed and let me know what you think?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I don't know. I am sure all are fine. Also look for MB Quarts Discuss line. have you thought about used as well?Or ebay

http://www.db-r.com/sell/store2/inde...roducts_id=248

this is where my son got his SAE1000D. The owner is a great guy. My son's was a refurb from 2 years ago. Still plays fine. The amp I linked to above will do 1500 watts. He occasionally gets them in and installs new amplifier boards etc... . it's a good price.For 1500 watts.

XBL-Steelhouse1

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page