Digital Media Head Units (Need help choosing) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Budget: < $200 (head unit), < $200 (dash speakers & door speakers), 8ga Amp wiring kit, possible "big 3" upgrade, already have a Kenwood subwoofer I plan to use with built in amp.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just hoping some of you can help me out here.

I'm going to be upgrading the audio system in my 2001 S10 ZR2 and I'm really curious about these media head units. It's been a long time since I've did anything related to car audio so this is all new to me. I would love to rid myself of cds as they take up so much room.

Anyway my biggest concern is audio quality. How do they stack up against a good after-market cd player? Same question with the AM/FM tuner...better or worse?

Should I run from some of the lesser known brands like Boss or Dual? I noticed a couple models were nearly identical in features from more well known competitors.

I would think no moving parts would improve against noise artifacts and what not. I'm just curious from an audiophiles perspective do any members here own one of these?

If using an SD card to store and playback music...what capacity limit do most of these head units have?

Feature Desires ideally paring with my Droid X:
  • Hands free calling (bluetooth capabilities)
  • Pandora Radio Streaming(not sure I'd really use that, but I'd like the option)
  • External Storage (prefer AAC, MP3, WMA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Answers below in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

Budget: < $200 (head unit), < $200 (dash speakers & door speakers), 8ga Amp wiring kit, possible "big 3" upgrade Not necessary, already have a Kenwood subwoofer I plan to use with built in amp.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just hoping some of you can help me out here.

I'm going to be upgrading the audio system in my 2001 S10 ZR2 and I'm really curious about these media head units. It's been a long time since I've did anything related to car audio so this is all new to me. I would love to rid myself of cds as they take up so much room.

Anyway my biggest concern is audio quality. How do they stack up against a good after-market cd player? Same question with the AM/FM tuner...better or worse? That actually depends on the bit rate your "digital media" is encoded at. If the media player has a god D/A convertor, but you are playing cruddy files, it's gonna sound like crap. I use my ipod in my car. But I rip to lossless files using itunes lossless format. i use no less than 320bit for all my MP3's that I have.

Should I run from some of the lesser known brands like Boss or Dual? I noticed a couple models were nearly identical in features from more well known competitors. I would say YES. I have only installed the Alpine model.305 or something. But there is a definate you get what you pay for. I would invest my money in the head unit first if it meant getting a better unit or not

I would think no moving parts would improve against noise artifacts and what not. I'm just curious from an audiophiles perspective do any members here own one of these?

If using an SD card to store and playback music...what capacity limit do most of these head units have? Entirely dependent on bit rate of files. bigger the files less amount of music.

Feature Desires ideally paring with my Droid X:
  • Hands free calling (bluetooth capabilities)
  • Pandora Radio Streaming(not sure I'd really use that, but I'd like the option)
  • External Storage (prefer AAC, MP3, WMA)

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 4 Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ended up going middle of the road with the Sony DSX-S200X

Now onto finding an amp...
post #4 of 4 Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Digital Media Head Unit is Multi Purpose use. Head units give the user control of the vehicle entertainment media: AM / FM, satellite radio, CDs, tapes, MP3, GPS navigation, Blue-tooth, etc.. Many units Head audio only allow the user precise control over detailed features such as audio volume, band, frequency, speaker balance, speaker fade, bass, treble, EQ and so on.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page