I regret not buying a DVD player for my car in the first place, what to do.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Me and my friend both just changed to a new car and wanted to have a video system installed.

But after seeing this picture, I got the idea to get an iPad and use that as a car DVD player. One product, two uses right? So while I use my iPad to entertain my passengers, my friend got himself a 7" Touch Screen 2 Din Car DVD Player a whole bunch cheaper than my iPad.

Conclusion? I think I ended up spending too much for mine. The picture above and what I got in reality were two different things. Comparing with my friends DVD player, I feel that I should have given it a second thought in the beginning as well.

What's more my friends device has GPS, a large hard drive, radio, it can be linked with the car computer, it can be used to find the nearest gas station if you're running out of gas and more importantly: I don't like people messing with my iPad the whole time! :P Also, the wireless remote controller and custom-made rack to fit the iPad in the seatback were not exactly cheap either. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting the same player as my friend now. Does anyone have an iPad installed in the back, or a DVD player for that matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM

What player does your friend have? I've been looking at the JVC KW-NT3HDT.

-PSF in VA
post #3 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 51
JVC is good. I have the 830. (I bought the one without the nav because I already have it in terms of a portable Garmin unit)

The 830 is double din dash mount but I've added head rest monitors and one roof top monitor for the passengers in the back. (I also added Dolby Digital 5.1 ability as well as a tv tuner) It's got dual zone ability so you can watch a movie and listen to the radio at the same time, hands free blue tooth, detachable face, steering wheel control ready, blah... blah... blah. I wouldn't suggest the built-in navigation though. First, the dvd player is dash mount and can not be moved. Sometimes the sun comes in so bright that you can no longer see the screen. This is not good when trying to find a location while driving. Second, there have been a number of occasions now where I have needed to use the nav unit outside the van... either hiking in the back woods or just sitting in the kitchen mapping something out. When I need it for a drive it simply snaps into a holder mounted on the upper left corner of the windshield (charging wire has been neatly run inside the roof post). IMO... a nav unit will serve you much better if it's portable

For what it's worth though, I had a dvd player strapped to the back of the drivers seat once upon a time too.... it was kind of cheesy
post #4 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Mounting an iPad is a good idea, but not so realistic in my point of view. iPad is more useful as a mobile appliance rather than a fixed car audio appliance. You need to wire it with extra effort every time.

I stick with the dvd player. I'm now using an eonon d1305, quite nice. A little pity to see this d1305 is only $299 now, can get a removal tool for free. but I got it with 310+. http://www.eonon.com/Christmas.aspx
It's always the case, I know the best time to get a good bargain is the christmas season, but I just can't wait to own it when I first saw this cool toy
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 AM

I am using a seagate theater which was $40 on newegg but can be had easily for $50 or so. It powers a 500 gb portable hard drive ($60 at Office Depot) which has 300 mkv movies on it at 400x800 resolution. I use a 6" 400x800 screen in front ($70) and a drop down 400x800 12" screen ($100 ebay). Took me about four hours to install but a pro shop could probably do it for $200 or so labor.
with seagate theater mounted with velcro under center console ashtray remote works from front or back seat Hard drive is in glove box and can easily be removed to add and remove films.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page