Any Developments for Digital Decks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, it's CES week and I haven't gotten a chance to sift through everything that's been unveiled thus far, but has any company shown any car decks specifically designed to support hard drives and such?

I would prefer not to go with my other options, which include using a portable FLAC player and using an aux connection (seems ghetto) or streaming via bluetooth (I figure there is quality loss with this one).

Seriously, how hard is it to make a head unit with a built-in SSD? I think I saw something from CES that involved Android; I guess that's a step in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good question.

Anyone know of head units that will play flac via hard drive/usb?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehendge Jazz View Post

Good question.

Anyone know of head units that will play flac via hard drive/usb?

Or a big SD/HC card would work for me.

Thanks,
Mike
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Well, it's CES week and I haven't gotten a chance to sift through everything that's been unveiled thus far, but has any company shown any car decks specifically designed to support hard drives and such?

I suspect most head units (with USB) already support hard drives. My JVC 800 dvd player supports a hard drive.... and it's more than a year old (It doesn't support FLAC though). I can even watch a movie from the hard drive.
Quote:

Rear USB Port for Video and Audio playback from Flash Memory Drives, Digital AUdio Players and Portable HDD Devices up to 10 GB Capacity

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...3&archive=true
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does anyone know why the car deck maker seem to have given up on high fidelity? I'm looking for any player that will play lossless audio (WMA Lossless preferred, but I could go with FLAC), and I haven't found one yet. Lossy compressed audio seems to be all that's supported these days.

Sad.
Mike
post #6 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Does anyone know why the car deck maker seem to have given up on high fidelity?

Well.... WAV audio is a pretty good quality, but I would question anyone who thought they needed anything more than that in an automotive system. The acoustics in even the best cars is nothing short of just plain bad. It's not like you're EVER going to accurately reproduce what a FLAC can offer in the first place.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Does anyone know why the car deck maker seem to have given up on high fidelity? I'm looking for any player that will play lossless audio (WMA Lossless preferred, but I could go with FLAC), and I haven't found one yet. Lossy compressed audio seems to be all that's supported these days.

Sad.
Mike

It's not that they have given up on hi fi. It's a dollars and cents thing. How many mainstream players out there play flacs? Now compare that to how many ipods, iphones and mp3 players there are and you start to see why the manufacturers have migrated that way. If you want hi fi, buy a cd player. If you want it portable, buy an ipod for apple lossless or a zune. If flac is your line that you won't cross, then make a carpc.

And Barney, while I understand your point I disagree. I avoided the apple bus for a long time. When I finally went all out on my car install, I rapidly discovered the downside of lossy codecs. I bought a damn ipod and started ripping cd's to lossless. There is an audible difference in a lot of cases. If I do play an MP3 I try to stay in the 256 as a minimum in bit rate.

Am I going to hear a difference at 70 mph? Heck no. Or when I have the volume set on 11? Nope. But it's not always listened to at that point and sometimes I like to sit in the car and just be enveloped with great sound. So i use lossless if I can.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #8 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

And Barney, while I understand your point I disagree. I avoided the apple bus for a long time. When I finally went all out on my car install, I rapidly discovered the downside of lossy codecs. I bought a damn ipod and started ripping cd's to lossless. There is an audible difference in a lot of cases.

I don't debate for a second that you can tell the difference with lossy codecs... I certainly can.

But as already stated, my JVC can play back WAV on hard drive (16bit @44.1.... same quality as CD). Why you would want... or need anything better than that is really a moot issue because you simply can't reproduce that quality in a car.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page