AVS Forum banner

Compact Sub - Recommendations?

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  cubdenno 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking for tight, accurate, punchy bass. I'm looking for a small sub, but I'm not familiar with the downsides of those small, under the seat subs, are those generally less accurate than full speaker/ enclosures? Or is it just a question of the amount of sound being produced?

Also, what are some good compact subs?

Thanks

#2 ·
Budget?

Vehicle?

Listening tastes?

Amount of space you have available like mounting depth etc. MAX. I like to know max and work down from there.

I will suggest a good 8" sub in a small enclosure or better yet a 10" that likes a small enclosure.

Dayton 10HO in a small (.5-1 cu/ft) enclosure. Add a small Class D mono amp and you're pretty much good to go.

#4 ·
Budget: $200

Vehicle: '98 Honda Accord Sedan

Listening tastes: electronic, rock, jazz (Radiohead, Dave Matthews Band, Modeselektor, Flying Lotus, etc)

As far as available space, that depends on whether I use the trunk or not. I'm not looking for car shaking bass, I just want a respectable balanced amount. So should I still use the trunk, or would an under the seat solution still deliver high fidelity bass? That Dayton sub looks really nice, I'm just a little concerned that it will deliver too much sound.

#5 ·
Get the Dayton 10HO and place it in a half cu/ft-ish sealed enclosure and power it with whatever amplifier you have. Mount it in the trunk and call it a day. it will give you a solid foundation that is accurate and musical. For the money, it will be hard to beat. As for output, that is a simple amplifier gain adjustment. I will bet, that you will be driving around with it turned up while having an ear to ear grin. They are that good and I know first hand how once you have that lower octave foundation how much more enjoyable music can be.

#7 ·
Looks perfect. Make sure you pre-drill the screw holes. It will save you splitting that wood. Also test fit the sub in the hole before you drill. There is a decent return policy if the sub does not fit and you do not want to attempt modification!

Good luck!

#11 ·
That will work fine. You can also get the same stuffing at walmart around the same price. That Parts express amp may not have enough a$$ but for 10 bucks, its a cheap thing to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.