what does it take to get 150dB @ 25Hz? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the cheapest route to get 150dB at 25Hz? Two hardcore 15's and two SAZ amps, one HO alt and 10 batteries? Small vehicle walled or CRX subs up port back? How much would it all cost? Fiberglass, MDF, 2x4's, all thread, sound deadener, decent looking/running vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So I gotta plan the vehicle as well? I think honestly the easiest cost effective approach will be a pickup truck. V8 with a blow through. 3 alternators of at least 250 amp each. most likely a GM based one

This vehicle allows you the space to put your box and batteries and equipment. It has enough motor to run a multi alt set up.

After that it is a sub/enclosure set up that playing with a small bandwidth to achieve the maximum peak at the frequencies you are wanting to hit. think large low tuned band pass. other wise look on you tube for the 48 10" subs from sundown. He does it. Pick up, blow through and a bandpass. Hits a 160 at 30 or something.

Not Cheap no matter how you do it.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I had a thought. How about 2 tubaHT enclosures in a SUV or a single 1 in a hatchback.
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

I was reading a review and using the Dayton 15 DVC (~150 bucks) he is in house doing 120's off 30 watts. thats in a room. 30 WATTS!!!! 1/2" material... I am going to build one for my home theater this summer. I may find someone who has a SUV and try it out.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you know I almost bought five DTS-10s? Three for the van and two for the HT? Imagine THAT! lol

What I sought out to determine before either going large subs large low tuned or horns, was subsonics. Its clear to me that 20Hz on up horns are unbeatable. Fantastic. But 15Hz on down, no good.

Im also learning that in the van I am willing to give up the subsonics to get more 25Hz-35Hz... horns would have really rocked in that 1/8th space, eh?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What brought on this thread was yesterday my girlfriend and I started going through my saved receipts, emai receipts, etc. We just finished.

I spent aproximately $10,776.26 on everything but the van, $4070 for the van, ballpark $14,846.26. I spent $15k to build the van.

To date, though this is NOT a competition vehicle, I did a 148.2dB @ 25Hz without the 2nd HO 300A alternator installed and 2nd spool of power wire. No tinkering and tweaking yet.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page