Clarion or Pioneer? Opinions please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-20-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been a while since I've been up to date on car stereo equipment, but I've recently dove back in to research for a purchase.

I am looking to replace my fiance's HU in a 05 Xterra and thought a double-din would be a nice way to go. I narrowed my choices down to two from Crutchfield: a new model from Clarion, the CX501 and '10 model from Pioneer, the FH-P8000BT. Feature-wise, they are similar. The Clarion has front facing USB and Aux, which I like for ease over a cleaner look. The Clarion is $80 cheaper.

I know Pioneer has a good reputation, and I know Clarion has been around for a while. I just don't know if Clarion is a good bet for quality. Personally I have a Kenwood which has been rock solid, but Kenwood doesn't have an option for me in the $250-$350 range.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Clarion? I am willing to pay for better quality, but if Clarion is as good, then I'd go for the front-facing ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I've run Clarion gear before... no problems = good stuff.

I run Pioneer now but that's mostly because I have a Pioneer Sirius Connect unit that I swap between two vehicles. Pioneer also seems to have a decent iPod/iPhone connection, can't speak to that regarding the Clarion because I switched units before I got my iPhone.

All the name brand gear is pretty decent these days, hard to go wrong it really comes down to the features and user interface. I've gotten used to Pioneer's menu system so I can navigate their decks pretty quickly.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3 of 4 Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had a couple Clarion units,and I've had a few Pioneer as well.I much prefer Clarion over most other brands I've had(kenwood,alpine,sony,eclipse,pioneer) with the exception of Kenwood and it would be a tough choice for me between those two.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM

i really like the pioneer unit myself, have the unit the has the ipod connection and pandora link which works great, especially when you listen to as much music as i do, and it also works good with my system.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav