01' Mercedes ML320 project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got a guy that wants two 17"-20" screens in the rear for his kids, the factory HU is touch screen but doesnt play movies. The face folds down and has a cover type deal for possible expansion or just lack of an option, and a disc changer in the rear. He wants the monitors to run off the changer and a DVD player added into the expansion area. I don't think it is possible but I'm trying to find out for sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm not sure about the stock unit, but IF it's possible it would be a lot of work for not much pay out. An after market unit will have twice the options at 1/2 the price. You can also get into dual zone systems this way too (grown ups can listen to the music while kids watch the movies)

As for multiple monitors... not a big issue but he will need a video distribution amp because there is usually only ONE output for external monitors.

Not sure if there is such a thing as a separate dvd changer, but the monitors surly will not run off of it. Monitor control usually comes from the HU, so that's where the external monitor feed will be found
post #3 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

I'm not sure about the stock unit, but IF it's possible it would be a lot of work for not much pay out. An after market unit will have twice the options at 1/2 the price. You can also get into dual zone systems this way too (grown ups can listen to the music while kids watch the movies)

As for multiple monitors... not a big issue but he will need a video distribution amp because there is usually only ONE output for external monitors.

Not sure if there is such a thing as a separate dvd changer, but the monitors surly will not run off of it. Monitor control usually comes from the HU, so that's where the external monitor feed will be found

Thank you Barney, I informedf him a few times it would be easier to replace, but he is determined to use the slot that I don't think is even for expansion. I'll print that off for him and show him a second opinion
post #4 of 5 Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

but he is determined to use the slot that I don't think is even for expansion.

My PURE GUESS is that it's for theft deterrent (hiding it). Out of sight... out of mind.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really want to help him, but it's so much easier when people get youre helping them because they don't know. I've got enough to hopefully convince him to add stand alones
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page