Beginner questions about sub and amp setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently installed an amp and sub in my 2004 civic. Everything is up and running and so far there dont seem to be any problems. I just had a few questions. This is the setup.

-amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XIA2...60.html?tp=115
-sub: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-XNBP12D-I.../dp/B0009PMVK8
-head unit: http://htyp.org/Insignia_IN-MP101

(Its important to note that I only have one of those subs shown above. since i got it from my friend and he blew the other one. Also Its in a different single sub box, not the one shown in the picture)

Basically the part im somewhat confused about is all the settings on the amp. Also with this setup what is my risk of blowing the sub? should I be very careful when turning it up or do I have nothing to worry about. Its currently only in single channel mode, but if I used bridged mode (300Wrms) would that blow my sub?

thanks a lot for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
How many ohms are the single sub? Is it a single or dual voice coil? How many watts is rated for?

That amp will push 300 watts to a single (bridged) 4 ohm load - so you need to determine if your single sub represents a 4ohm load and if it can take the power. As for blowing the sub that might depend more on the box its in then anything else. Small sealed box = almost impossible to blow, big vented box = death to subwoofer if driven hard below its tuning parameters. Generally your ears are a pretty good judge, if it sounds nasty at high volumes then your pushing it too hard.

As for amp settings you should have the low pass on and set to around 80-120HZ (depending on your front speakers). Bass boost adjusted to whatever sounds good to you, just don't over do it as the amp will clip and send distortion to the sub. Once again your ears will let you know.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

http://www3.dealtime.com/Dual-Dual-1...XNBP12D/prices

according to that site they are 4 ohm dual coil (unless they are referring to both combined?)

Though on the back of each sub it says 550W 8 ohm.

The single box isnt huge, i dont know the exact specs but its about the same as ive seen for other 12 inch subs. Also the box is ported, but its a fairly small opening

When I mess with the settings there is HPF-Full-LPF, but full and low pass sound about the same to me. Whats the difference?

edit: i just read that when they were in the original box they were wired in series at 8ohms. But since im using it alone it should now be 4 ohms correct?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4778 View Post
according to that site they are 4 ohm dual coil (unless they are referring to both combined?)

Though on the back of each sub it says 550W 8 ohm.

edit: i just read that when they were in the original box they were wired in series at 8ohms. But since im using it alone it should now be 4 ohms correct?

When I mess with the settings there is HPF-Full-LPF, but full and low pass sound about the same to me. Whats the difference?
Still confused as to what ohms these sub really are - label says 8 ohms, but is that per voice coil or per speaker (already wired in parallel)? Now many terminals (+/-) are on the back of the sub? One DVC 4 ohm sub would either be a 2 or 8 ohm load. So, in the original box two of these subs wired in series to each other would be a 4 or 16 ohm load, but not 8.

Anyway you want a 4 ohm configuration since that's what your amp in bridged (mono) mode is designed to push, not sure that is possible with this sub since I can't determine it true ohms with so much conflicting information.

This tool should help: http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...woofer-wiring/

LPF is low pass and that's the one you should use. The reason you heard no difference is because its a bandpass box, thus its doing its own low pass filtering. However it still better to run the LPF on the amp so its not trying to amplify frequencies the speakers can't reproduce anyway (just wasting power and generating heat).

As for the box - its the biggest factor in subwoofer output, if you've got the wrong box (size of box OR port) who knows what your getting as far as output goes. As long as your happy that's all that matters.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM

My friend just installed my JVC player. I have two amps and three subs (2 8" and 1 10"). The player has an equalizer. It has low (with 4 bars), mid (with 4 bars) and high (with 4 bars). FYI, I don't know anything about this. Can somebody please help me on this. If I want a lot of bass which one to adjust. For each bar there is a certain frequency which I really don't know.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

There are two ways to adjust an EQ: the correct way and the "it sounds good to me" way. Nothing wrong with doing it by ear, as the correct way involves buying some software and/or hardware and understanding what how it all works. Thankfully the cost has come way down.. you can get decent results by just using an iPhone app: http://www.studiosixdigital.com/rta.html

The quick answer to your question: bass is the "lows", so if you want more bass turn the last four up. Just keep in mind if you crank them way up you'll clip your amp most like resulting in nothing but distortion.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 PM

To JMII,
Thank you very much. This will really help me.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 AM

Hi All,

I've joined this forum purely because i can't find the answer online anywhere (easily at least). I have had a Bluetooth Parrot system installed in my car for a while now which works fine until recently since i have installed a Sub and Amp in my car as well, and noticed that the Amp only picks up what is playing through the radio and not the Bluetooth system. The Parrot Bluetooth seems to use all the speakers in the car bar the Amp.

Does anyone know how to set the Parrot Bluetooth system up to go through the radio properly so the Amp picks it up. I use Spotify from my phone so it would be a pain if i had to burn loads of CD's just to listen to the music i want .

I can provide additional information if it helps

Thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Hi am completley new to this but can some on help me pleaase !!! Ive put in a amp and sub in my car, when i turn my main headlights on my cd player turns off and wont turn back on it says goodbye to me then wont do anything but it works with just side lights on.
And my interior light wont turn on but when i flick to come on when doors open i puts the light on my dashboard for my main head lights. Could this just be a fuse problem or due to wire interferance ?????
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by georrge View Post

Hi am completley new to this but can some on help me pleaase !!! Ive put in a amp and sub in my car, when i turn my main headlights on my cd player turns off and wont turn back on it says goodbye to me then wont do anything but it works with just side lights on.
And my interior light wont turn on but when i flick to come on when doors open i puts the light on my dashboard for my main head lights. Could this just be a fuse problem or due to wire interferance ?????

I would say you have wired the head unit incorrectly to the factory wiring.

Did you use a wiring harness adapter?

What head unit?
What car?

Would help if you started your own thread.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #11 of 11 Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM

Hi sorry i didnt know how to but ive sorted the problem it was a blown fuse replaced it and it all works fine now
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page