Box for Alpine SWR 1043D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,
I just got into the Subwoofer department with an Alpine SWR 1043D running on an Alpine M500/1. I just ran all the wiring in my car and I'm waiting to build my box.

Here is where I needed a little advice. I want to tune the box to 32-34hz to get a good range of benefits from the 10". My thought is that the 10" is ideal for rock/metal where a slotted box tuned to a semi-lower frequency would be good for dance/techno. Kind of getting the best for both worlds. Opposite ends of the spectrum right?

I also attached a picture of the dimensions i used from the RE L-Ported Speaker Box Calculator

The recommendation for the sub is 1'-1.5' ported. The net volume before the sub displacement (but after the port displacement it looks like on the calculator) is 1.181ft^3 and the frequency is 32.2317hz. I'm assuming that after the displacement of the sub (.08ft^3) the volume should come down to about 1.1ft^3 and the frequency will increase a little bit.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks you!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Size of the woofer is no indication of what type of music it will play well. As what type of box design also does not dictate whether a particular genre of music will sound great out of.

I listen to predominately rock and use a 15 ported. Sounds incredible. My son can get in and play rap/hiphop and it will leave you awestruck. The box design is the biggest make or break for a subwoofer. A well designed ported will out do a sealed any day.

Honestly, For your sub, Do a ported tuned to 35 hertz. in car it will get into the 20's audibly. make sure you have enough port area to keep port velocity down, port compression and port distortion down as well.

I am traveling for work so do not have my modeling software here with me. I can model it when I get back home tomorrow night.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."