Chev Volt Sound - 30% smaller, 40% lighter and uses 50% less energy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

In all the hoopla surrounding the new Chevrolet Volt not many people have discussed the type of entertainment system in the vehicle. As you might expect, you can't have the usual in an unusual car. The Bose Energy Efficient Series sound system uses a proprietary design and exclusive Bose technologies. The new sound system delivers premium high-quality audio, but is 30% smaller, 40% lighter and uses 50% less energy than automotive sound systems with comparable performance.

Bose High Efficiency Technology
The Bose Energy Efficient Series sound system features Bose switching amplification, High Motor Force speakers and proprietary control circuitry to reproduce sound at concert hall volumes, while reducing its power consumption by half. The Bose amplifier runs cooler than conventional linear amplifiers, and uses a smaller, lighter heat sink, significantly reducing its size and weight. Using exclusive control circuitry and switching technology, its energy consumption is dramatically reduced, yet it delivers eight channels of custom equalization to power the speakers: three High Motor Force woofers, one located in each front door and one integrated in the spare-tire well, two 1-inch tweeters integrated in the A-pillar; and two 4-inch neodymium mid/high-range speakers, placed in the rear doors.

Using select materials and custom design, the system delivers the performance of larger, heavier speakers. Drivers and passengers will hear musical detail throughout the frequency range, including the deep low notes required to reproduce lifelike audio.

The Bose Energy Efficient Series system comes standard on the 2011 Chevrolet Volt. For more information visit Bose.

Scott Fauque (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - - -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GM/Chevrolet Volt VIN #01234's first week gets 1549 MPGu (Miles/Gal_used)

My wife and I flew to NY last Friday and picked up the Volt from Neal (great experience). We had a great day in NY on Sat (car sat in hotel parking, tho). We drove 1/2 way home (IL) on Sun and stayed at a Bed and Breakfast where they let me charge from the garage. Drove the other 1/2 way home Mon and arrived about 4:15pm. 38 CS MPG @ 65 MPH at 40ish degrees. I charged for a couple hours and then flew off to play racquetball on electricity and a natural high.

Test drives everyday for friends and co-workers. Did two today so ended up using < 0.1 gallons of gas on my way home from work.

Attached is my first full work week. 154.9 miles driven on 0.1 gallons equals 1549 MPGu (Miles/Gal_used).

My first full day at home I drove to work and back then charged for a couple hours then went to play racquetball. Here is what it looked like that day. 0.0 gallons of gas. Arrived home with 1 EV mile left and while taking the picture in the garage with the car on it went to 0 EV miles left and the display changed to a fuel pump (but did not start).

I'm living the dream and am in a good place right now as my wife told me tonight. I'm considering writing more of a story of how I got here and the trip etc.

FYI, I charge the Volt from midnight to about 4 a.m. when my hourly electricity rate is lowest. It probably cost me about $0.60-$0.70 per day to charge. Gas at my local station is $3.69 for regular unlead. I wave when I go by. My previous ride to work took 2 gallons of gas per day.
LL
LL

Scott Fauque (
) - - -
(as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In a parallel universe someone was playing Devil's Advocate on several points with me. Here is my summary of points to that person. It may be interesting to reads of this thread (or not ).

I have literally read 100's of articles on the Volt, the SAE internal 60 page mag, the Chevrolet Volt book on it's development, hundreds of hours on internet forums about the car. I've been around the rodeo on this one. And so to be clear, I'm giving you personal experience and examples and not just what I have only read.

Executive Summary of points:
  • Last week 154 miles and used 0.1 gallons of gas (with my current electric rate I charge the volt for about $0.70 per night). I'm not stating MPG but MPGu (Miles/Gal_used) as this is a Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV) primarily designed for electrical only usage and backed up after batter depletion with a "gas generator" that runs the motor.
  • Drove yesterday in 35ish degree weather comfortably with heated seats and cabin on the battery only
  • It is currently sold in 7 states and because of the great response it will be sold in all 50 states this year. (please note the Prius sales when they first stared 0.3K http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius#Sales )
  • My first day to work I drove ~23 EV miles (11.5*2) and it showed 18 EV miles left on the battery (41=23+18). That was at around 40 degrees. 41 > 25
  • On a *full* depletion it takes 8-10 hrs on 120v which is a garage outlet and a normal overnight charge that *most* people could do. (Or 3-4 hrs on 220v, a racquetball friend (electrician) and I installed the $490 220v charger but originally I was just going to use 120v).
  • The 1st generation of anything is expensive (flat screen, cell, computer, etc). MSRP is $41K minue $7.5K tax credit makes it $33.5K. I bought but some were leasing it for about $350/month.
  • The T shaped battery goes down the center and T's behind the passengers. This week the back and forth to work there was 1 person in the car -- me, or 2 during test drives or my wife and I's trip back. The back seat is decent for adults 5'10"ish or kids. Perfect start.
  • Cost justification: You do not buy a 1st generation of this type of vehicle because of the cost savings but if you look at the cost on my gas this week that was pretty decent (0.1 gals)!

PROFESSIONAL AUTOMOBILE reviews and drivers awards
TECHNOLOGY related awards
EXTENDED detail reads

Scott Fauque (
) - - -
(as of 26-Nov-2001)
post #4 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Nice write up Scott. I for one appreciate a user's review.

The only issues I have with electric vehicles and the "push" being used to sell them is my experience with the same sort of "push" used back in the late 70's and 80's to have an all electric house. Compared to gasoline it is less expensive now. it may always be less expensive compared to gasoline based cars. But once there are a sizable user base of the plug in automobile owners, that user base is now a draw on the power grid. And as memory serves, that is one area that needs to be looked at. That is just the tip of the iceberg with my lukewarm welcome in that regard.

As for "Green" meh. That battery is large and I have yet to see a "green" battery. Ever see what was in one?

Though that said, I am not much of a tree hugger anyway, so am watching this in the hopes that new battery tech will come out of it.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank!

That is a major major effort by all the large companies producing plug-in electric vehicles. They are working with the *literally* hundreds of different utilities.

The basics tho is not much electricity is used at late night & early morning. As an example, I charge my Volt from midnight to 4am when my ComEd electric rates are "off peak" and the cheapest.

They made very flexible charging schedules *in* the Volt. Below are just **some** of the options you have when setting it up. It was actually very very simple to do.

From another site:

A delayed charging screen accessible on the touch sensitive center stack let's drivers program in delayed charging, to take advantage of nightime utility rates, letting the car know what times it will be needed each day.

Owners can choose one of three different charge modes; immediately, delayed based upon departure time and delayed based on both rate and departure time.

Scott Fauque (
) - - -
(as of 26-Nov-2001)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Scott - thanks for the info... its hard to get much real world Volt info. Head over to http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com and contact the editor with your findings they'll love to hear from you.

My equipment list is
. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page