iPhone/iPod Adapters for Factory Car Radios - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for an adapter to connect my iPhone to the factory car radio that doesn't have an AUX input or bluetooth. I've seen companies such as Grom Audio, USA Spec and Peripheral that sell them. They utilize the CD or SAT radio connection on the back of the factory radio. Anyone using any of these? And if so, what's your opinion on how they work? I've tried some of the FM adapters, but they don't work too well. I'd like a direct connection, 1 connection via dock connector solution that will play my music and charge the phone at the same time.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Never used any of those but I use ProClip mounts, they are pricey but really nice. They have one with a built in dock connector, so the iPhone just slides in and connects right up, no fumbling with cables every time you get in / out of the car.

You can also buy a cable which has a dock connector on one end and a USB (for power) and line out (for AUX hookup) on the other end. I do agree the FM transmitter things suck - I've own two and both were terrible, finally just swapped out the radio for an aftermarket deck with USB input and was much happier. Got lucky with our newest car as it has an AUX plug already in the armrest, so I didn't need to do anything but add the ProClip + audio cable + micro USB 12V plug so it charges the phone.

I would see if there is a forum for your particular car and see what other owners recommend as a good factory interface. Each make/model is different so you'll get better ideas for people who already have the same car.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3 of 4 Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Grom get s fantastic reviews. So much so, that I just bought one for my wife's Mazda3.

XBL Gamertag : iChip
post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Received the Grom unit and it took all of 15 minutes to install and it works perfect.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page