Building a Multi-User, Wireless, In-Vehicle, Video Library - AVS Forum
Car Audio, Video, and Nav > Building a Multi-User, Wireless, In-Vehicle, Video Library
graystrickland's Avatar graystrickland 11:09 AM 03-23-2011
I have three kids of various ages and conflicting tastes in movies. We take a lot of long, multi-day trips. I'd like to setup an in-vehicle video distribution system and library. I'm asking for feedback and suggestions on how best to do it. Here's what I have so far:

* STORAGE: I'll just put everything on a 1tb USB 2.5" drive.
* FORMATS: 99% of my stuff is either plain vanilla Divx or Nero Digital MP4. It all works on the lowest-level Popcorn Hour A100 media streamers in my home.
* ROUTER/WIFI: I'm looking at either the Option X.1 or the Option Globalsurfer III. Both will act as a file server if you plug a usb drive into them.
* VIEWING DEVICE:
iPAD: I've experimented with the Azul media player for iPad. It'll play all of the Divx that I've tried it with so far. Of course, the iPad can handle MP4 natively. I use an app called FileBrowser to pull files over my home Wifi network. It works fine, except that it insists on downloading the entire file before it begins to play. I think that this is a limitation of iOS and thus may never be any better.

XOOM: I don't have one of these yet, so it's hard to judge, but I guess that a Xoom would work at least as well as an iPad. I am concerned that the router can stream three separate video files to three separate users simultaneously. I don't know whether the bottleneck would be the usb drive, the router or simply Wifi in a moving car. If I can't stream 3:3 then this is not worth the time/effort/money to put together.

Your thoughts and suggestions? Don't be shy to suggest a radically different approach.

cubdenno's Avatar cubdenno 03:59 PM 03-24-2011
pretty sure the bottleneck will be the USB input into the router. Trying to get 3 movies simultaneously is going to speedily eat up that USB bandwidth. Even USB2.0. Other than that running wireless to each unit, while increasing the time it takes to get the full movie onto each device, it should still be doable. i would make sure that you have movies preloaded from home and then start downloading different ones as they are watching the preloaded ones. Hopefully that made sense. With 3 kids of my own, we also did the separate screens on long trips.
modernninja's Avatar modernninja 06:06 PM 03-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland View Post

I have three kids of various ages and conflicting tastes in movies. We take a lot of long, multi-day trips. I'd like to setup an in-vehicle video distribution system and library. I'm asking for feedback and suggestions on how best to do it. Here's what I have so far:

* STORAGE: I'll just put everything on a 1tb USB 2.5" drive.
* FORMATS: 99% of my stuff is either plain vanilla Divx or Nero Digital MP4. It all works on the lowest-level Popcorn Hour A100 media streamers in my home.
* ROUTER/WIFI: I'm looking at either the Option X.1 or the Option Globalsurfer III. Both will act as a file server if you plug a usb drive into them.
* VIEWING DEVICE:
iPAD: I've experimented with the Azul media player for iPad. It'll play all of the Divx that I've tried it with so far. Of course, the iPad can handle MP4 natively. I use an app called FileBrowser to pull files over my home Wifi network. It works fine, except that it insists on downloading the entire file before it begins to play. I think that this is a limitation of iOS and thus may never be any better.

XOOM: I don't have one of these yet, so it's hard to judge, but I guess that a Xoom would work at least as well as an iPad.

I am concerned that the router can stream three separate video files to three separate users simultaneously. I don't know whether the bottleneck would be the usb drive, the router or simply Wifi in a moving car. If I can't stream 3:3 then this is not worth the time/effort/money to put together.

Your thoughts and suggestions? Don't be shy to suggest a radically different approach.

Radically different in this day and age would be to tell your kids to look out the natural tv's (also known as "windows") and when they complain, use the" I'll turn this car right around" or the" don't make me stop this car and backhand you" lines as positive reinforcement to enjoy the world around them.
Up
Mobile  Desktop