Trying to hijack XM signal....SO CLOSE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me...this is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm SO close...I have an '08 Chevy Tahoe with XM. I use the aux input on the front of the HU for my mp3 player, and I needed another input for my pnp Sirius unit. I read this post about how you can hijack the audio signal from your XM module to your car's HU and use it like another Aux input. In that thread, the author says the sound is great, but he has an older car and there were only three audio wires out from the XM unit; left, right, and common. My car has four; left positive & negative, and right positive & negative.

I hooked it up to this 1/8" jack with the two positives as left and right, and the two negatives combined to the common. It works, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the aux port on the front of my radio. It's quieter and it kinda sounds mono-ish, like when you pull a headophone jack out half-way. I'm thinking the key lies in the fact that I have 4 wires compared to his 3.

I'm thinking (praying) I just need something like a "line-level adapter", or a "line-out converter" or something. Is there any way to tell what kind of signal the XM unit is sending to the HU; speaker-level, line-level, or something else? Am I on the right track, or should I bail on this project? I HATE doing that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 54
You need a common ground adapter. Cheaper HU's operate with 4 wires as opposed to 3 since the amp section is a bridge system. (The grounds actually aren't grounds but a negative output operating from a negative amp).
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks SO much for the reply Barney. So is one of these what I want: Scosche FAI-3A or PAC OEM-II? It seems I would need to use one of these devices backwards since my Sirius unit is going out and into the HU. Typically, these are used out from the HU and into an amp or something with RCA inputs, right? Will that work?

Actually it looks like THIS is really what I want, but can I use it backwards?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page