amplifier with high damping for jl 12w7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i want something with low harmonic distortion and high signal to noise ratio.. but the amp needs to have a strong hold on the subwoofer (forward, backwards, and stopping power)

i have seen only a couple amps with enough power and low harmonic distortion.
the damping factor was as high as 3000
but that was for 4 ohms
i read that the damping factor will double if the impedance is 8 ohms.
therefore, wouldnt the damping factor be cut in half at 2 ohms?

anyways.. the amplifier had a price tag of $1,400
i was hoping for something with a much lower price for people who deserve it.
maybe something used or a small company.

i dont have the money right now.
but maybe in two or three months i will have it.
i'd like to see these amps brand new in the $500 - $800 range

i'm willing to stare and drool at a picture if anybody can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Damping factor is a useless number. Just buy the power you want that matches the load you are offering that fits the space you have. It's like trying to find the amp that has the fastest Slew rate.

taken from a wiki article.

"the damping factor at any particular frequency will vary, since driver voice coils are complex impedances whose values vary with frequency. In addition, the electrical characteristics of every voice coil will change with temperature; high power levels will increase coil temperature, and thus resistance. And finally, passive crossovers (made of relatively large inductors, capacitors, and resistors) are between the amplifier and speaker drivers and also affect the damping factor, again in a way that varies with frequency."

Modern solid state amplifiers, which use relatively high levels of negative feedback to control distortion, have extremely low output impedancesone of the many consequences of using feedbackand small changes in an already low value change overall damping factor by only a small, and therefore negligible, amount.

"Thus, high damping factor values do not, by themselves, say very much about the quality of a system; most modern amplifiers have them, but vary in quality nonetheless. Given the controversy that has long surrounded the use of feedback, some extend their distaste for negative feedback amplifier designs (and so a high damping factor) as a mark of poor quality. For them, such high values imply a high level of NFB in the amplifier.

Tube amplifiers typically have much lower feedback ratios, and in any case almost always have output transformers that limit how low the output impedance can be. Their lower damping factors are one of the reasons many audiophiles prefer tube amplifiers. Taken even further, some tube amplifiers are designed to have no negative feedback at all."

So again, don't worry about damping factor. a friend of mine has a set of dual mono macintosh amplifiers on a set of klipsch horns. The amps are high dollar and very much sought after. Their damping factor is below 10. The speakers sound fine.

Since it's a sub, and the distortion levels of the speaker are way higher than the amplifier, get whatever you want. Look for a JBL BPX500 or BPX1100. Or get a matching JL Audio 1000 to put on that sub. I run Sundown Audio and have been absolutely happy with them.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page