AE SBP12 IB Subwoofer specs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Been chatting with this fellow about these new speakers.. http://www.aespeakers.com/news.php?start=0&news_id=26

I have 98 Lexus GS400 with an OEM 10" sub mounted to the rear deck. The price dif between a 10" and a 12" is minimal, so I am thinking I may just build an MDF adapter to fit a 12" in the same mounting location as OEM. I'll be driving it with a Kenwood 8105D amp. The trunk itself is 15 cubic feet when empty.

I'm also entertaining Fi Car Audio IB subs, but he can't make any IB based at the moment, if anyone's had experience with either, I'd love to hear it.

My biggest issue with my current OEM sub is it hits its limit pretty quickly, and I get major distortion when turned up to around 75% of my personal maximum listening taste.

I've already put dynamat down all over the rear deck, and will probably buy more for the door panels and other spots that may need it.

I'm not a speaker tech, I just enjoy my music Those speaker specs are all foreign to me, do these specs look better than any other type of IB subwoofer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Acoustics Elegance subs are amazing subwoofers. designed with low distortion motors and built for accurate musical reproduction. You will be getting a great speaker going with John's stuff.

Also remember that IB requires less power to get to the mechanical limits of the speaker. The nice thing is, as you have deduced, you can use really any size speaker. You can also, if you feel the one is not enough, build a manifold that fits the current single woofer mount that allows you to mount 2 or 3 subs. You get the increased output of multiple subs with little loss in trunk space.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Good feedback, thanks

Forgive my lack of spatial comprehension... how would I shape the manifold to fit multiple subs for a single OEM 10" hole in the rear deck?

The specs do indicate 500w thermal .. would my Kenwood 8105D be enough to power more than 1 of these subs?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

With IB, Thermal is not usually an issue. mechanical limitations are. There is no enclosure compliance that your woofer is working against with IB.

As for a manifold, Think 5 sided box that the open face is attached to where your current factory sub mounts. Two of the sides would have the mounting holes to to the two woofers facing each other.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250256

This is a link to a IB attic install using a manifold. Hopefully it will give you the idea I am trying to get across.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

omg that is amazing.. makes me want to buy a bunch and build out my HT some more

I'll email those guys over at AE, as I don't know if 15 cubic ft would be enough for 2x 12's to sound that much better than a single in an IB configuration.

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

more subs=more output. On the same total amount of power. Spreads the power over 2 motors which means less excursion. means less distortion and thermal compression. Thats it.

that trunk size will work fine. Not truly IB but they model as a large leaky sealed enclosure.

XBL-Steelhouse1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page