Is this a decent setup for my car? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Driving an 09 Honda Accord Sedan with 6 speakers, no navigation or climate control features. Here's what I whipped up real quick from crutchfield reviews and amazon prices. I have no knowledge of car audio, so I didn't pick these things based on anything else besides thinking they were cool lol. I do have a brand new 12" sub sitting in my garage, but I don't know if I'm gonna use it, we'll see how the components work. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm also not gonna be installing this myself, I have to find a skilled professional for the job.

Kenwood Kac-8405

Polk Audio AA6514-A MM6501 6.5-Inch System Speaker System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Deck has only one set of preamp outputs. No bluetooth but it does do Pandora off an Iphone. So if that is what you are after, then you are golden.

I would suggest running the rear speakers off the head unit. Skip buying rear speakers. Use factory unless they are not there.

The money you save on rear speakers,I would put toward an 8" or 10" subwoofer. By a prefab sealed enclosure. You may be out an extra 50 -100 dollars but the end result should make you even more happy with your upgrade. That low octave foundation is wonderful to have.

Use the 2 rear channels of the amp bridged to drive the sub.

Overall, it should be a solid great sounding system.

You don't have to spend a ton of cash to have great sound or have kilowatts of power.

Good luck!

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I've done an install using that Alpine amp and its a clean unit. I ran Polk MMs in my previous car and highly recommend them as well. Since you already have a 12" woofer I would add it for sure - even if its underpowered it will keep you from driving the smaller 6.5" too hard. As cub suggested run the sub off the bridged channels of the Alpine amp and let the radio power your rear speakers.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #4 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

I've done an install using that Alpine amp and its a clean unit. I ran Polk MMs in my previous car and highly recommend them as well. Since you already have a 12" woofer I would add it for sure - even if its underpowered it will keep you from driving the smaller 6.5" too hard. As cub suggested run the sub off the bridged channels of the Alpine amp and let the radio power your rear speakers.

Jeebs... Reading>me

I totally missed you having a 12" sub!

Use that puppy!!

Thanks for the insight on those Polks JMII. Because of your past responses, I have recommended them to a couple of my son's friends. Solid performers. They sound good!

Unless you are trying to hit high SPL >140db, that 150 watts to a sub will be fine. It won't overwhelm your front end and still provide adequate bump. The nice thing is, it's cheap to add a dedicated sub amp of 500 watts. Just make sure you buy at least a 4 gauge wiring kit to handle a possible amp addition/upgrade.

Also give a look at some 5 channel amps and maybe a headunit with more than just 1 set of rca outputs.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

awesome, thanks for the help guys.

I just wanted a headunit with auxiliary in the front lol, pandora and all that other stuff I didn't really care about. So, I can probably save more money by picking a different unit that's really basic. I don't even have an iphone/pod, but I do run music from my phone and will get a media player in the near future.
What's the benefit of having more than one rca output on a headunit? Like, what else would I be connecting to it?
Sorry, I'm a huge newb, lol.
hmm, underpowered sub might be ok, I don't like too much bass anyway.
I probably will just run stock rear speakers then.
I should also get some dynamats, yeah?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomowski View Post

What's the benefit of having more than one rca output on a headunit? Like, what else would I be connecting to it?

More RCAs allow you to feed more amps. Most decent decks have 3 sets of outputs: front, rear and subwoofer - with some kind of built in crossover and/or sub level control.

Dynamat? Yes its worth the $$ if you install it right. You need to strip out most of your interior, thus its a major project. In most installs I do at least the doors and the trunk, the rest of the car is deaden from the factory somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

Thanks for the insight on those Polks JMII. Because of your past responses, I have recommended them to a couple of my son's friends. Solid performers. They sound good!

They are a little bright at first but warm up once they break in, especially if set to the -3dB tweeter level on the crossover. Given their small magnets (slim mount) they actually have decent mid-bass output with the advantage of fitting in tight places. My only complaint with them is the lack of angle/swivel tweeter brackets and despite being "marine certified" the passive crossovers are not epoxy coated. They are a 3 ohm design with really high sensitively so they get insanely loud without much juice, yet seem to be able to handle more power if you've got it. I ran the 6.5" at around 75 watts and 80Hz high pass. They sound better then Infinity Reference speakers in my truck with the same power.

I haven't messed with Polk's DX (bottom) or SR (top) line, only the middle-of-the-road MM line and have been very impressed. In fact I use (and recommend) the MM subs as well: they work great in small, sealed enclosures. And once again they get plenty loud without being power hungry like the Kicker L-series square subs I've got in my truck. The MM subs are very smooth, deep and mellow, more of an SQ sub along the lines of Image Dynamics, not peaky and boomy like Kicker's stuff.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomowski View Post

awesome, thanks for the help guys.

I just wanted a headunit with auxiliary in the front lol, pandora and all that other stuff I didn't really care about. So, I can probably save more money by picking a different unit that's really basic. I don't even have an iphone/pod, but I do run music from my phone and will get a media player in the near future.
Sorry, I'm a huge newb, lol.
hmm, underpowered sub might be ok, I don't like too much bass anyway.
I probably will just run stock rear speakers then.

Multiple RCA's will allow you to fade and potentially have better subwoofer level control. IF you run seperate/offboard amplification.

As for dynomat and the multitude of other products out there for vibration control.

sounddeadenershowdown.com

There IS NOT a better site dedicated to not only selling you a product but also explaining to you the science behind the reasons given. Don is a hell of a stand up guy. He can explain why 25% coverage of "dynomat" like material is about the most you need for that type of product. Why any more coverage and you are throwing money away due the the exponential diminishing returns of using more product.

Less product means less cash spent.

Honestly, with your power levels, I would have to hear the vehicle you drive to even see if you would even need it. odds are, probably not.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #8 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks cub, I'll install first and see what it sounds like.
I'm probably changing the headunit to..i have no idea what lol. only function I really need is front aux.

since it's cyber monday...
CRUNCH GPV1100.2
1100 Watt 2-Channel Amplifer

for my sub!

also changed the alpine amp to a kenwood. cheaper by few bucks lol. I guess I'm gonna have to connect front and rear to the amp, cause if I bridge it for the two front, it'll blow em out. Or can I just use two channels on the amp without bridging?
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page