Schumacher Electric auto battery charger - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally listened to you all and got a cheap charger at Walmart, 6A charge maintainer, microprocessor controlled, 72W 6amp fast charge 4A medium and 2amp slow 6V/12V automatic.

Hooked it up and let it sit over night. In the AM the remote unlock didnt work so I knew it wasnt charged. Looked at the charger and it said full charge. I unplugged it and tried to start it, dead. Reconnected, put back to fast charge, it started...the fan revved higher and higher then shut off. I unplugged and reset, put on slow charge, fan stayed low reve so I left it for 2 hours. Came back, said full charge, but was dead.

Gonna take the cheapie back today

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

pulled all three batts and brought them in, charger is on the starter batt, it kicks in for a few mins, then off for a few, I'll keep checking with the DMM...hope I'm getting somewhere!

post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

stupid photobucket acting up

post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Have you looked into onboard Marine chargers? Like THIS

Granted its expensive, but I've seen pics of your build and I would venture to guess that adding an onboard, 3 bank, dedicated charger is the only way to go. I got one on my boat and your literally plug it into an outlet and let it do its job overnight. Its specially designed to charge deep cycle batteries that have been drained after a long day of fishing.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #5 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

Have you looked into onboard Marine chargers? Like THIS

Granted its expensive, but I've seen pics of your build and I would venture to guess that adding an onboard, 3 bank, dedicated charger is the only way to go. I got one on my boat and your literally plug it into an outlet and let it do its job overnight. Its specially designed to charge deep cycle batteries that have been drained after a long day of fishing.

Thanks JMII I'll have to check into that!

so theres a little trick to getting completyely discharged AGMs to start taking a charge. The charger has 2 ways of shutting off, sometimes as soon as it starts charging the cooling fan gets louder and louder till it clicks and stops charging for a bit..then it kicks back in for a while and shuts off again, other times it thinks/says the battery has a full charge then you have to disconnect then reconnect until it kicks off again, process repeat. Once the battery gets a small charge then the process stops or becomes much less frequent and then it takes over a day to get over a 12V charge. So far I brought 1 battery back to life, the 2nd large 100aH is now starting to take charge...hasn't kicked off for a while. Tomorrow I will try to get the little starter battery going again.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Liked: 10
Was that 7.76 volts that you measured? If so that battery was beyond dead. You certainly can bring lead acid batteries back to life especially if the internal structures are still fine, but I have never seen one at 7 volts. In my experience even you bring it back it may not have the same capacity as before. Depending on how much time or passion you have, it's less trouble to replace it.

I also suggest checking the acid levels. Open up those six top screws and add distilled water if it's low. Don't add anything else. No salt, no sulphuric acid. Just distilled water.

Best of luck.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thank you! Theyre all charged, its running again, but like you said...do they hold as much as they did? prolly not
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Liked: 10
i have the same one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page