Focal Polyglass 165 V30 worth the money? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm looking at buying the Focal Polyglass 165 V30 6.5" 2-Way Component Speaker System. I was wondering if they were worth the money or would you recommend that I buy something else that is better for the same money. Here is the system I'm trying to build.

I'm looking to upgrade my current system in my 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I currently have the 7 speaker infinity without navigation. What I'd like to achieve is a system built for sound quality. I want tight and clean bass that doesn't overpower my components.

What I currently have:
1) JL 500\\1 sub amp
2)JL 300\\2 amp

What I need:
1) Front component set (I want FOCAL 165 V30 or opinions on a component set around the same price that you think will out perform these in sound quality)
2) Headunit (I am undecided and not partial to any brand of headunit. I'm looking to spend upwards of $400. It needs to have bluetooth\\bluetooth audio streaming, ipod\\iphone hookup)
3) Device to integrate steering wheel controls with the headunit.
4) Sub box that fits under the rear seat. (I know JL makes a stealthbox with a single 10W3v2 that is around $550. I think they over price this box bigtime considering the sub is worth around $180 new. What are your ideas for a box\\sub combo)

I plan on using my rear stock speakers for rear fill for the time being. Should i reuse my existing wires or wire everything from scratch? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Pat

2005 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500, Quad Cab Short Bed, 4x4, SB 3600, NV56, 35/12.5/17, Carli suspension, Amsoil 6080, Pusher horn, 2nd gen exh. swap, boost fooler, Smarty SSR, Dipricol gauges, HID's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 PM

Not worth it if you like car audio as a hobby. I say this because you can get better performance by choosing the component speakers yourself and going with an active system with a very customizable EQ which is FAR easier and cheaper these days. You will also be tweaking it to perfectly fit your car cabin and ears while an expensive set of component more likely will not be perfect for all cars and ears.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

Not worth it if you like car audio as a hobby. I say this because you can get better performance by choosing the component speakers yourself and going with an active system with a very customizable EQ which is FAR easier and cheaper these days. You will also be tweaking it to perfectly fit your car cabin and ears while an expensive set of component more likely will not be perfect for all cars and ears.

What EQ would you recommend? I had another person recommend Hybrid Audio Technology for component speakers and I must say what I've read so far and heard on youtube they sound much better than what I've heard from the entry level focals.

2005 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500, Quad Cab Short Bed, 4x4, SB 3600, NV56, 35/12.5/17, Carli suspension, Amsoil 6080, Pusher horn, 2nd gen exh. swap, boost fooler, Smarty SSR, Dipricol gauges, HID's
post #4 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 AM

id highly recommend the Kenwood Excelon X995 head unit,it will do everything you need plus has 4v pre-outs.

here is a link to one on ebay,they run about $210 on ebay and about $450 locally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-Exce...item23171812e2

they are amazing,a friend of mine has one and there are so many features and choices,right on down to light color.

as far as using your stock wires...i would go to walmart and get the adapter needed to wire that h/u to your stock wiring...by theory everything should work..including the steering wheel controls.

22rms watts is plenty for the stock speakers,when you wire in the amp,then you will need to wire in whatever speakers you will run off it.

i run the Kenwood Excelon 6x8's in my Ranger off my stock decks power 50x4 (22rms per channel) and they are ear piercing loud and crystal clear.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalli445 View Post

What EQ would you recommend? I had another person recommend Hybrid Audio Technology for component speakers and I must say what I've read so far and heard on youtube they sound much better than what I've heard from the entry level focals.

It's actually the active portion that I wanted to stress. I use the Alpine CDA-105 (I think) with the Imprint module. I didn't buy or use the microphone or software. I just added the Imprint box to enable the digital crossover and EQ. The EQ is only 5 or 7 bands, but it was enough.

It's the technology compared to before. In the old days it was all taken care of on the analog end. Analog line-level was run to analog crossovers then to analog EQ (or the other way around) then the amps. Nowadays it's digital which solves SEVERAL oddities. All you see out of it is the RCAs making things simpler and cheaper. My headunit and the box was about $350 ish, my speakers are basic Pioneer component sets. I threw out the analog crossover it came with and the sound is simply amazing.

Before you would have to try different speakers hoping to find the right ones... now with an active system and EQs, you just choose decent speakers then tailor it to fit your needs. I've owned mine for about 2-3 years and I'm still tinkering and perfecting it. At least all I do now is press buttons as to before where you tear apart your cars to replace speakers.

It's so much more enjoyable.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

It's actually the active portion that I wanted to stress. I use the Alpine CDA-105 (I think) with the Imprint module. I didn't buy or use the microphone or software. I just added the Imprint box to enable the digital crossover and EQ. The EQ is only 5 or 7 bands, but it was enough.

It's the technology compared to before. In the old days it was all taken care of on the analog end. Analog line-level was run to analog crossovers then to analog EQ (or the other way around) then the amps. Nowadays it's digital which solves SEVERAL oddities. All you see out of it is the RCAs making things simpler and cheaper. My headunit and the box was about $350 ish, my speakers are basic Pioneer component sets. I threw out the analog crossover it came with and the sound is simply amazing.

Before you would have to try different speakers hoping to find the right ones... now with an active system and EQs, you just choose decent speakers then tailor it to fit your needs. I've owned mine for about 2-3 years and I'm still tinkering and perfecting it. At least all I do now is press buttons as to before where you tear apart your cars to replace speakers.

It's so much more enjoyable.

From what I hear about Hybrid Audio components I think I'll go with those. The Pioneer avic-930bt has a built in EQ. This should do the same thing you were talking about right? Are you implying its better to get rid of the crossovers in a cheaper component set and use an aftermarket or built in EQ to get better sound out of your speakers?

post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:

From what I hear about Hybrid Audio components I think I'll go with those. The Pioneer avic-930bt has a built in EQ. This should do the same thing you were talking about right? Are you implying its better to get rid of the crossovers in a cheaper component set and use an aftermarket or built in EQ to get better sound out of your speakers?

You throw out the passive analog crossovers (make note of the frequencies and slopes) and replace it with the digital crossovers. This is what most people call an active setup. The EQ portion is optional, but it usually comes with it anyways.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
HAT makes good speakers. They are a boutique brand tht is becoming more mainstream. Scott Bulwalda (owner) is a great guy. Got to meet him when I was traveling for work and stopped by his facility and got to listen. PProbably the best after sale support I have seen from small company. From either HAT or the many followers/users.

There are other brands that are just as good or better in price and/or performance.

The thing about running active is you can tailor the crossover points, level etc to your vehicle. Passive crossovers are a generic "fitzall" that are not necessarily going to be superior and are really just a tweeter protection system.

I run the Alpine H701/C701 combo processor controller.

Love it. Does everything you could ever want for most people.

Crossover
front 1
front 2
rear
center
sub
Selectable slopes from 6db/oct to 30db/octave
31 band graphic eq5 band parametric eq
Time alignment

plus a whole lot more

I can run fully 3 way active with rear and sub since I don't run center channel.

It's magical.

There are other options as well. Alpine H660 or MS-8 from JBL
Audison Bit one or Bit ten
Pioneer has a couple of decks that do a 3 way active.

I went all DIY and bought raw drivers and went the active route. 4 years ago. I have swapped different drivers here and there which my processor allows since I run active.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #9 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

HAT makes good speakers. They are a boutique brand tht is becoming more mainstream. Scott Bulwalda (owner) is a great guy. Got to meet him when I was traveling for work and stopped by his facility and got to listen. PProbably the best after sale support I have seen from small company. From either HAT or the many followers/users.

There are other brands that are just as good or better in price and/or performance.

The thing about running active is you can tailor the crossover points, level etc to your vehicle. Passive crossovers are a generic "fitzall" that are not necessarily going to be superior and are really just a tweeter protection system.

I run the Alpine H701/C701 combo processor controller.

Love it. Does everything you could ever want for most people.

Crossover
front 1
front 2
rear
center
sub
Selectable slopes from 6db/oct to 30db/octave
31 band graphic eq5 band parametric eq
Time alignment

plus a whole lot more

I can run fully 3 way active with rear and sub since I don't run center channel.

It's magical.

There are other options as well. Alpine H660 or MS-8 from JBL
Audison Bit one or Bit ten
Pioneer has a couple of decks that do a 3 way active.

I went all DIY and bought raw drivers and went the active route. 4 years ago. I have swapped different drivers here and there which my processor allows since I run active.

Honestly the active\\passover crossover's and adjusting them is all over my head at this point in time. I like what everyone has to say about the Alpine 9887. My only problem with it is how it is not compatible with the iphone 4s and it doesn't have the USB input. If it wasn't for that I'd buy that HU. What I really like about the 9887 is it has the option to use IMPRINT to dial in the sound. I think that is a great idea for people like myself who are new and not experienced with tuning stereos.

I think my other option is the Alpine CDA-117. I like the fact it is compatible with the iPhone and I can stream audio with bluetooth. From what I've read it doesn't have as many features for adjusting the sound like the 9887 does but later on I could always get a processor I guess. Does anyone know if IMPRINT still works with the CDA-117? If it does this would probably be the main selling point for me at this time. Thanks

Pat

post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Actually the Alpine iDA-X305 might be my best bet with IMPRINT. This sounds like a winner for what I need. I'll pair it with Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5's and a JL 300\\2.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Does anyone know if IMPRINT still works with the CDA-117?

Yes... Imprint works with the CDA-117.

I'm going with that combo in my 350Z. And if it works out well I swap out the Pioneer in my truck too. One thing I like about the CDA-117 is the six preset buttons at the bottom. My current Pioneer deck is like iDA-X305, great for iPhone/iPod use but sucks when it comes to changing channels/stations.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page