Receiver choices and a question..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My nephew is looking for a receiver for his car, i have been out the car install business for about 30 years LOL....

His only real concerns are a iphone input, bluetooth maybe or just a 1/8th" jack....and cd player

Is it possible to get hookups so there isnt any wire cutting, just plug it in ?

Thanx guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

LOL! car stereo installation hasn't changed much, they are still called Head Units, not receivers, and always need to be installed with tools, cutters, and assortment of tools, *if* u want it done nice and neat.

Lots should come with an AUX jack. Stereo Bluetooth is nice if your portable has that capability. CD... why would anyone need CD these days when u can buy a 16GIG thumb drive for nothing? Oh yeah, USB jack for a thumb drive is pretty standard these days.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

LOL! car stereo installation hasn't changed much, they are still called Head Units, not receivers, and always need to be installed with tools, cutters, and assortment of tools, *if* u want it done nice and neat.

Lots should come with an AUX jack. Stereo Bluetooth is nice if your portable has that capability. CD... why would anyone need CD these days when u can buy a 16GIG thumb drive for nothing? Oh yeah, USB jack for a thumb drive is pretty standard these days.

LMAO, i'm a relic MrBobb. So USB is standard, i'll refer to it as a head unit.
Will his iphone bluetooth be compatible ?

So there is no universal adapter to connect... Is it still a scratch with a AA battery to find out which is which...

...and now MrBobb do you have a fav or is there one under $200.00 that you may recommend.

Do you believe back in 1980 i was making coax drivers for back decks in muscle cars out of 15" woofers and piezo tweeters, Lol...Eq was a must and we were caniblizing home eq's that would operate on 12vdc once the transformer was removed, biggest problem was regulating the 12vdc...Ahhhhh those were the days, 8 track tapes.

Thanx for your help....

I think im getting a little excited.......
post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

You don't have to cut the factory wires, just get the necessary adapter and plug it in. You'll have to splice the new radio wires to the adapter, but that's it if you using the deck for power.

Most radios these days support iPhones over USB, way better then a 1/4" aux in because the USB port will also charge the phone and you get the audio digitally.

Any of the major brand names these days will do the job: Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Clarion. Really comes down to what features you need and which UI (user interface) you fancy. I'm kind of old school myself in that I prefer radios with actual BUTTONS and not touchscreens or nested menus. I made the mistake of buying one of those new mech-less (no CD), all digital Pioneer units and I hate it because the simple act of changing radio stations requires navigating thru a menu

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^ What model suited your old school needs, along with having a few bells and whistles. He will be using the unit to power speakers.

So get an adapter that fits so i dont chop up the cars adapter, gotcha. Then its same ol' splice and tape, does anyone solder any more ? I don't mind getting out my iron....
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

^^^^ What model suited your old school needs, along with having a few bells and whistles. He will be using the unit to power speakers.

I'm going with an Alpine CDA-117, however that might be overkill for your needs. I suggest you swing by Best Buy and see which radio has the controls your most comfortable with. I'd just recommend anything with preset buttons, a basic EQ and maybe a built in crossover so you could add amps later.

Solder is the preferred way to go... but I've always just used butt splices or quick connections (male/female) plus heat shrink.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #7 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

I'm going with an Alpine CDA-117, however that might be overkill for your needs. I suggest you swing by Best Buy and see which radio has the controls your most comfortable with. I'd just recommend anything with preset buttons, a basic EQ and maybe a built in crossover so you could add amps later.

Solder is the preferred way to go... but I've always just used butt splices or quick connections (male/female) plus heat shrink.

BB here i come !! Thanx JMII
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page