I am a noob and i need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok so i just bought a sub with an amp and amp kit from ebay and im not gonna lie i have no clue how to install them and i dont really wanna pay anyone to do it for me so can anyone help me please? i watched some videos on youtube but they are kinda confusing. i think i am also going to need to buy wires to connect the sub to the amp cause i dont think they came with that. i will upload pictures of everything that i have and if you could please tell me what to do

Shot at 2011-12-27

Shot at 2011-12-27

Shot at 2011-12-27

Shot at 2011-12-27

Shot at 2011-12-27

Shot at 2011-12-27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Crutchfield has a pretty good, (but generic) guide located here:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf.../amp_guide.pdf

Basic Amp install goes something like this...
1) Power wire with fuse from + side of car battery to + on amp.
2) Short ground wire from - on amp into clean, solid metal bolt/screw into vehicle chassis.
3) RCA signal wire from radio output to amp inputs. In your case use the subwoofer or low pass (if available).
4) Speaker wire from amp outputs to speaker box inputs, wiring sequence may vary based on required ohm load, check amp manual!
5) Correct gain and crossover settings on amp dialed in. This may require some tuning by ear. Remember the gain control is not a volume level, its designed for matching the radio's output voltage to the amps input level. Turning it "up" will just increase noise and distortion.

The hardest part is normally routing all the wires thru the car since you have to find a hole in the firewall and make sure none of the wires get pinched or cut.

IMPORTANT: the fuse protects the CAR not the amp, so put it as close to the battery as possible. Keep in mind the power wire will draw plenty of current, thus it could cause the vehicle to catch fire if not installed properly!!! Do the ground wire first, then all other wires, once everything is locked down tight you add the fuse LAST.

And yes it looks like you missing the speaker wires that would go from the amp to the subs. You can grab some at any home improvement store, between 16-12 gauge will be fine.

My equipment list is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

thank you i just got everything set up today now im only waiting on my new head unit which should be here tomorrow because the factory one doesnt have rca outputs

the other thing is that i could not find a hole in the firewall so i had to run the wire through the door.. is that okay?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremal View Post

the other thing is that i could not find a hole in the firewall so i had to run the wire through the door.. is that okay?

Doesn't sound safe, but it depends...

Got any pics? Did you go thru a rubber grommet?

On my Dakota the stock antenna is wired from the fender thru the door so I guess its a possible solution. Just seems like a really easy way for the wire to get pinched and short out.

My equipment list is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

i dont have pics now ill take some tomorrow and ill upload them
and no it doesnt go through a rubber grommet it just goes from under the hood behind the door hinges down to the floor and inside the car but yeah ill show you tomorrow
its just that all the wires that go through the firewall have rubber grommets exactly their size so theres really no way i could use them and i dont think i would be able to drill a new hole i think what i did is maybe not as safe but easier

EDIT: i just took some pics but its kinda dark. ill take more tomorrow

Shot at 2011-12-29

Shot at 2011-12-29
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Hard to tell from the pics but if there is no grommet then your risking getting water into your car and/or the wire being cut by the metal hole. Both situations are clearly not ideal. So try to figure out some way to seal up the hole: foam, silicone, etc.

What kind of car? Did you check if there is forum specific to your model? For example I'm lucky to have excellent resources at my350z.com. Since chances are someone else has already figured out which factory grommet has enough room to force a wire thru.

My equipment list is
post #7 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

okay i got better pictures now
and i have 02 explorer and yeah i checked but i couldnt find anything
and i didnt make any new holes in the car

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #8 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Ummm I hate to break it to you but that is a mess and UNSAFE!!!

Try this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a..._ford_explorer

My equipment list is
post #9 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

ok i guess ill try that later.
ok so now what happened is i got my headunit last night. now i tried to hook it up and it didnt work. then i tried putting the old one back in and still doesnt work.. do you know why?

EDIT: i had a blown fuse..lol
everything works great now except that i couldnt find a hole. but its okay ill work on that later
i also need to work on tuning the amp
thanks for helping though
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Uhh, I have an 02 explorer, also red, and there is a hole under the dash that you should be able to go through. If you are laying in the truck so your head is by the pedals its above the brake pedal and left. O can take a picture of it tomorrow and post it.
Also you can drill a new hole and simply biy a rubber gromit. That's no different then the way the factory does it anyway
post #11 of 11 Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yikes.

In my toyota, there is a hole underneath the wheel well, yes you have to take out the well cover for access, for wiring purposes.

That's obviously a home-made job buddy.

In my build, I ran the power cable to the car's fuse box, typically there will be a couple of unused slots for use, so when done, it looks like FACTORY, not that jumble of mess!

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page