Car bass rattle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is 'good' bass in a car/truck in terms of acoustic proximity? and how should it sound like inside and outside of the vehicle in question? i.e., rich, deep, low, thumping, rumbling, etc?

further, if the bass is contained in the vehicle is that good? that is, it is not noticeably heard outside of the vehicle

is it good or bad bass if the bass can be heard but not felt 15 feet away or be heard and felt 15 feet away?

i'm thinking, in the distant future, of producing such sounds for experimental purposes.

My 5.1 audio system bedroom setup:
10'1" L x 9'11" D x 8' H. One corner opens up to a space (for the door to open/close) that measures 2'4" L x 2'11" D x 8' H.
AVR: Denon 1712
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS41-LR
Center: Pioneer SP-C21
Rear: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR
Subwoofer: SVS PC12-NSD
TV: Samsung UN46EH6070...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post

What is 'good' bass in a car/truck in terms of acoustic proximity? and how should it sound like inside and outside of the vehicle in question? i.e., rich, deep, low, thumping, rumbling, etc?

further, if the bass is contained in the vehicle is that good? that is, it is not noticeably heard outside of the vehicle As a dad, home owner and car audio enthusiast the less heard outside the car the better. For both other people, yourself and the hobby. As more and more munincipalities are ticketing people for excessive stereo usage and as a dad who had his baby woken up after a hard "get to sleep" night when an inconsiderate person drove by windows open heavy bass content music turned to max after 9pm it is becoming more imperrative that one is able to contain their systems output in the interior of their vehicle. I also have a 140db system so understand the desire to jam out. Also note I think that if you are going to ticket people for their stereo, so also loud exhausts/harley's also be ticketed.is it good or bad bass if the bass can be heard but not felt 15 feet away or be heard and felt 15 feet away?

i'm thinking, in the distant future, of producing such sounds for experimental purposes.

As for everything else, are you looking for a metric in which to measure the output of a stereo on the outside of a vehicle? They have competitions specifically for this. The SPL is measured on the outside.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alot of your questions are subjective. In my experience there's only two types of bass. Distorted and not. Distorted is ALOT of fun. Undistorted bass is not as fun. It tends to disappear and you feel it more than hear it.

For cars you'll want a sealed cabin. Bass tends to get louder. Trust me, I learned my lesson trying futilely to get good bass in a convertible. What a waste of money. Sounds great top up, but I didn't get that car to keep it up so... lesson learned.

Whenever you're ready to produce the sounds for research, you'll need alot of amplifier power and subwoofer drivers that can produce those frequencies with minimal distortion. Distortion happens at both the amp and speaker. For research, I imagine you'll need both to be as low as possible. Unless the quality of it isn't important and you just want volume.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I always get a chuckle when the bass heads roll by, thinking how cool their car's bass sounds, when what we hear outside is flatulence from the license plate buzzing on the trunk lid.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page