Subs/Amp for an 08 Forester. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Budget:$500-$750(Including diy install and diy sealed enclosure costs).

The sub-woofers and amp will be going into a 08 subaru forester(midsize suv). The system is for car audio, so 100% music. I'd prefer to listen to the subs pretty loud, I like a lot of bass heavy music. No appearance requirements needed. Backlog of a few months is fine. Suggestions on an amp and sub combo appreciated.

Also I'm arguing with friends on whether 10inch subs or 12inch subs should go in. I'm leaning towards 10's based on my cars size, but a few friends swear decent 12's finely tuned won't be too boomy. Any insight appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Two Polk MM 10"s and a Kicker Class D mono amp is what I would do. Pretty loud subs for a small sealed enclosures, which I prefer anyway.

If you have the space the 12"s would be louder and slightly deeper, just model the box with WinISD and adjust the size so the Qtc is between .7-.8 to avoid it being "boomy". Of course this is all very subjective... vehicle shape, EQ settings, personal preferences, etc all come into play.

Will three 10"s fit? Might break the budget but I always figure max enclosure size first (space your willing to give up) then divide by the number of drivers I can fit in an effort to gain surface area. All things being equal two 8"s will perform about the same as one 12" from a SPL standpoint. Depending on the box + vehicle cabin gain they can have about the same in car frequency response too.

$300 - Kicker ZX750.1 amp: 750 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms
$220 - (2) Polk MM1040 subs: 350 watt 4 ohm SVC subs, recommend .66 cu. ft. sealed air space per sub

$520 + $20 DYI enclosure building supplies + $50 wiring + $10 in pizza to bribe friends to help = $600 + tax, tag, title, your mileage may vary moving up to 12"s adds about $80, so its still within your budget and for a bass heavy music fan that might be the best bet.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3 of 3 Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The Polk MM series is a great series of woofers. I seriously always overlook them. Neo motors, decent Xmax. Liveable small box requirements.

JBL/Infinity subs are also a bargain/gem that often get overloked as far as car audio brands.

The sundown Audio SA line are absolute beasts. the 12 works well in 1 cubed sealed. they run a little higher than the others mentioned. They are designed to be low distortion. Have excellent Klippel results and really produce. They shine when you port them but they sound good sealed. Have an aquaintance who ran 4 of them sealed in a Tahoe. ridiculous output, and great tonality. He was a rock music guy and he was tickled.

Have also run tens and a single 12 ported and if you like extended lows, they will definitely pressurize your vehicle.

I push Dayton Audio subs a lot the Reference series subs (HO and HF) are great performers.

Alpine R series are excellent.

Amps:

I am a huge fan of Sundown audio. They have a SAX1200D that will do 15oo watts at 1 ohm all day long.

Kenwood has some very decent sub amps. reasonable.

The best value that i have installed for kids are the Audiopipe brand of class D. the 1800 and 3000 are or seem to be solid performers for reasonable money. Plus you have some room to grow.

I bought a 1500 watt mono sub amp and haven't looked back since then 4 years ago or so.

Look at the brand outlets for bargans. I look at the Harmanaudio ebay store as well as the polk audio and find really good deals. Like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-MM154...item5ae00dec20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PA1200-1-Hig...item53e6feecf3

Yes it's a 15 but what a 15... and the amp has all the power you would want plus if you ever changed setups, you can add more subs without fear. A true beast.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page