Number of files limitation on USB Car Deck - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a Clarion CZ201 USB car deck under the impression from an official Clarion retailer that there was no limitation as to the amount of files that the deck could handle from a USB device (usb stick or external hard drive.)

I finally got all my songs ripped and plugged my new external hard drive into it... and of course the drive will only recognize the first 3000 MP3's. I have almost 13,000 and wanted to just put it on random play and be done with it.

This was the express purpose for which I bought and had this deck installed, and it doesn't do what I wanted.

I emailed Clarion and asked them if there are any work arounds or firmware upgrades that will change the 3000 file cap and I also asked if they sell any other decks that have a higher capacity of file playback.

They emailed me back and said no, you can't get around it and they didn't even bother to answer if any other of their units do what I want to do. Nice work Clarion customer service. I guess they weren't interested in selling another deck potentially.

Anyways, are there any USB car decks out there that don't have limitations on how many files they can handle at one time?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If Clarion, which is *supposely* a better brand is this shi**y, I hold no hopes for u.

My experience is, they ALL have limitation and DON'T SPELL IT OUT.

My next build, having head-MP3 capability is too painful, then you are begging for firmware updates... NO. I will just use my iPhone or whatever, and that talks to my head via wire or stereo bluetooth and I know am good.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

To be honest I have no problems with the deck itself, I am more frustrated that I was told by an official Clarion retailer that this deck will do the one thing I wanted it to do, but it won't and now I'm stuck with it.

That and I guess Clarion customer service really doesn't give a **** about helping me out. I guess the sale has been made and that's the bottom line.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just curious from the time that you put the USB device how long does it take to read it and begin playing.

I ask because I have a Sony unit with a USB input and initially I was using a 16gb stick and it took about 3-5 minutes before it would play.

I have since decided to put the music on 4gb sticks and I am up and listening in under a minute.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I apologize for the length of time it took me to reply. I haven't checked this thread for a long time.

I don't have an exact answer for you, as after getting frustrated that my deck wouldn't recognize more than 1/4 of my music I blanked the drive and am now using it for something else.

However, what I can tell you is that I have used both USB stick and a one terabyte usb external HDD and both devices came in under what your first experiences were. I might even go as far to say that it would be around a minute or a little more than... and I had 123 gigabytes of MP3's on the external drive.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Just shooting in the dark here....
But I don't suppose what filesystem you used on the USB HDD would have any effect on the number of files the unit could find?

I've run in to some things being picky about that, like when updating a the BIOS on one of my modern laptops , it would only accept the file on a FAT16 formatted USB.

As the above poster has already mentioned, I preferred to go with just adding a line in to my stock car stereo and using my ipod, no nice integrating, but much less pain getting it all to work together.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page