Rosen Nav Unit Audio Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Rosen Navigation/Stereo in dash unit that was installed by the dealer in a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe with the Infinity system. It plugs into the factory Infinity amplifier which in reality is a JBL unit made for Hyundai.

Background hiss is noticeable, there is faint audio when turning the volume to zero, and the unit exceeds 102dBA at 50% volume, all indicating that the Rosen head unit is overdriving the amplifier. Rosen says no one else complains about it, so they will not do anything under the warranty. They admit that they are sending speaker level audio into the preamp level of the amp. I am going to try a speaker-to-line attenuator and have ordered the appropriate connectors and will build my own pads.

Both the head unit and amplifier have a + and - connector for each of the four channels. I cannot find any wiring information for the amplifier other than a connector pinout, but I am guessing the inputs are differential balanced, with no reference to ground. I do not know if the speaker outputs from the Rosen head unit are also differential balanced.

I assume the best approach will be H-pads with a 20dB drop. Has anyone here dealt with this kind of interface? I would like some input (pun intended) on this project.

I also have a problem where any key press on the head unit, whether a physical key or a screen softkey, results in a thump in the audio, regardless of volume level. I am guessing this may be related to an improper interconnection between the units and am hoping it will be solved by the attenuators. Has anyone here run across such a problem, or have any ideas of the cause?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 12:50 AM

No idea, hahaha
post #3 of 5 Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Sounds like a dirty connection somewhere. I had similar problems with ground floor noise on an old eclipse and random pops. I switched out the ground wire to a high quality one and tested different areas and it helped quite a bit. Pops maybe cause by inconsistent power somehow? You have a capacitor?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapzoom View Post

Sounds like a dirty connection somewhere. I had similar problems with ground floor noise on an old eclipse and random pops. I switched out the ground wire to a high quality one and tested different areas and it helped quite a bit. Pops maybe cause by inconsistent power somehow? You have a capacitor?

What is a capacitor going to do in this situation?

OP, seems like you are on it. Shame the factory amp doesn't have a gain pot to seal with the signal in difference.

I also agree that if you get the level down that pulse should go away. Question on that, Does it happen when the volume is low?

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I found that the Rosen head unit was indeed overdriving the factory amplifier. I added a Scosche OEA4 LOC inline with the Rosen output and set it for a 20dB drop and that completely solved the hiss, bleed-through, excessive volume and key-press pop problems.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page