speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just bought a 2013 elantra with a nav. It has a upgraded 6 speaker system, 1 pair in the rear door and component in the front doors and has a supposed external amp. I was thinking of swapping out the factory speakers for a better product as I wasn't thrilled with the factory speakers.

I went into my local audio store and was told that probaly not worth doing @ this time. He said wait untill the speakers are older as they aren't that bad. He said if I really wanted better sound I would need to change the speakers and ext. amp and add a sub. He said I would spend 2 to 3 grand and though it's probaly not worth it.

I swapped out my speakers in my previous car and there was a big improvement,but that was going from a full range to a 2 way speaker.
Do you think changing my speakers only and getting a better quality speaker would improve the sound or am I just wasting my money?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hello?? No one here into car audio?

<<<<<< Looks around the room and see's no one.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

I just bought a 2013 elantra with a nav. It has a upgraded 6 speaker system, 1 pair in the rear door and component in the front doors and has a supposed external amp. I was thinking of swapping out the factory speakers for a better product as I wasn't thrilled with the factory speakers.

I went into my local audio store and was told that probaly not worth doing @ this time. He said wait untill the speakers are older as they aren't that bad. He said if I really wanted better sound I would need to change the speakers and ext. amp and add a sub. He said I would spend 2 to 3 grand and though it's probaly not worth it.

I swapped out my speakers in my previous car and there was a big improvement,but that was going from a full range to a 2 way speaker.
Do you think changing my speakers only and getting a better quality speaker would improve the sound or am I just wasting my money?

thanks

Odds are, the factory speakers are not that bad. I would start by adding a powered subwoofer. AND/OR something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-8-Serie.../dp/B003KN2TQ2

It will provide amplification and logic 7 auto EQ that is pretty bad assed. It will also provide crossover functionality. A small amplifier and subwoofer would just rock your system! Giving you that bottom octave and a half with the authority your current speakers just can't do. This allows your current speakers to play what they were intended to play

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Odds are, the factory speakers are not that bad. I would start by adding a powered subwoofer. AND/OR something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-8-Serie.../dp/B003KN2TQ2

It will provide amplification and logic 7 auto EQ that is pretty bad assed. It will also provide crossover functionality. A small amplifier and subwoofer would just rock your system! Giving you that bottom octave and a half with the authority your current speakers just can't do. This allows your current speakers to play what they were intended to play

Thank you for the reply

It does look like an interesting product.
I think my home audio sound has spoiled me.
Will also check into a subwoofer

Thanks again
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting a 12" hertz sub and kenwood amp for it and also replaced the front component speakers with hertz speakers and it sounds great. I kept the volume of the sub down and kept it musical rather than the booming subs that I hear all the time. Its sounds much better, clearer, more dynamic and detailed as that is what I'm used to with my paradigm speakers at home.
Very happy!!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wish I had caught this thread a while back.

I too recently bought a 2013 Elantra but not with the "better" Navigation head unit, just the standard blutooth enabled unit. Frankly, I think the sound system is pretty mediocre, at least in the standard Elantra, *especially* the speakers. You mentioned yours had 6 speakers - were you talking about four 6 1/2's in the four doors and 2 tweeters in the top part of the front driver/passenger door panels? I ask because the way the rear window/trunk panel is constructed, there's no easy way to get any exposed speakers in the back unless you have enclosures custom made.

I pulled my entire system out of my old car and am in the process of figuring out if I can get it into the Elantra. It includes:

4 Focal 165 V1 speakers (one 6 1/2" woofer, one 1 3/4" tweeter per )
Alpine 12" subwoofer SWR-12D4
Alpine 4 channel Amp MRP-F600 (speakers)
Alpine 1 channel Amp MRP-M500 (sub)
Alpine CDA9887 Head Unit

I will likely upgrade the head unit later and probably with something a bit nicer than the Alpine 9887(which honestly is an outstanding unit regardless), but there's the cosmetic issues getting any new head unit single or double din to elegantly sit in the dash panel, not to mention the hassle of integrating any new head unit with the steering wheel controls.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i just bought a hyundai elantra GT. with the upgraded 6 speaker system ( i think all the GT's come with this ).

Today i pulled out the front speakers and replaced them with some MB Quart comps....and its an improvement, but to be honest the factory speakers sound pretty decent.

Tim
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page