So who makes the best modern small enclosure sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I have a "vintage" Kicker Solobaric 12" sub in the recommended .66 c.f. sealed enclosure (& 500 watt mono amp) and it's been flawless since the late 90's. It's now starting to sound funky like clipping/distortion and rather than diagnose it, it's time for something new. However I want to stay with something similarly small as trunk space is important.

Who's making the best bank for the buck sub for an enclosure under 1 c.f.? I'd probably get a new amp as well. It looks like I can get a new Kicker L7 & 1 c.f. sealed enclosure along with something like a Hifonics 750 watt amp for around $500 but I'm looong out of the car audio loop so I'm wondering what might blow this away for less money.

Thanks!

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and help support the site. Help Support
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Credence still makes the original "Solobaric" subs. They made them for Stillwater. So I would give them a look.

Image dynamics works well in a small sealed enclosure

Dayton HO series works well but you might consider porting that thing as they realy shine in small ported. They sound very fine doing it.

I would suggest avoiding the L7 in small sealed. I have seen very little success going that route.

Amplification is cheap now days. A mono Class D amp can be had for under 200 bucks in the power class you are looking at. JBL makes a quality product and their factory refurbs are a fantastic deal. I bought my sons 2 1500 watt sub amps as factory refurbs and he has been abusing them for the last 2 years. If you have a preference for brand or aesthetics look for that. I like the plain black amplifier. If you like more flash, I would have a hard time recommending something.

I have had fantastic luck with Sundown audio. They are a boutique brand that has catered to the SPL crowd but they just happen to make a dang good product. I tend to work on several systems a year as a hobby so if you have a specific brand set of questions, I can try to answer.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
10 years and still in production: The Infinity Basslink. It's an intergrated powered sub of about 0.84 cubic feet and 200 watts rms power. It has a "servobaric" design with one active and one drone 10" speakers. The active driver has a feedback winding for the amp which results in extremely low distortion. Typical subwoofer driver distortion is 3-5%, which kinda renders the difference between an amp with 0.001% distortion and 0.1% a moot point. But with the active servo design reducing distortion, the Basslink has less than 0.3% total distortion at full volume, which is 1/10th of the typical amp/driver combination.

I'm a believer, I have bought 3 BassLinks so far.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Along the lines of what cubdenno said: Image Dynamic does well in small sealed as does Polk's MM line (which I've got in my 350Z). I've got a Kicker L5 sealed in my truck and its never really impressed me, they tend to do better ported and with lots of power.

My equipment list is
. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Thanks all.

I ended up going with an Alpine 12" Type-R in a 1.0 c.f. sealed box running 900 watts from a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D D-Class Mono Block.

It takes up a little more space but sounds much cleaner.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
and help support the site. Help Support
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page