Recommendations for head unit which works well with iPhones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since more and more of my radio listening in the car is iPhone-based (iTunes music, podcasts, Pandora, etc.), I need a good way to integrate the iPhone into the audio system. Tape adapters and FM transmitters are just not cutting it.

I am looking for a standard single DIN sized unit which has front USB support for my iPhone. I would like HD radio built in. Bluetooth would be a plus, as would be an additional USB port for a second device.

Browsing Best Buy, there are several units which have these features (and many more online), but none of the head units really distinguish themselves. They all seem to have the same busy look with tiny buttons and poor UI.

Your comments and recommendations are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked: 15
I'd recommend the Kenwood KDC-x996. It has Bluetooth streaming, bluetooth calling, rear usb and a fairly easy to use interface.

I know you wanted a front usb, but I usually keep my phone in my glove connected to this because it browses iphone / ipod files really slick.

My only complaint is that its a little hard to see in the sun / glare, but some cars its not a problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I am partial to Alpine as they "HAD" the best interface. Now pretty much all brands do well with apple products. I suggest figuring out what else you want (bluetooth,power,processing) and start eliminating from there.

The high end head units have a much more polished UI. But with that come cost.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #4 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

I'd recommend the Kenwood KDC-x996. It has Bluetooth streaming, bluetooth calling, rear usb and a fairly easy to use interface.

I know you wanted a front usb, but I usually keep my phone in my glove connected to this because it browses iphone / ipod files really slick.

My only complaint is that its a little hard to see in the sun / glare, but some cars its not a problem.

Yes, I think its perfect with your requirements. Also I want to get Kenwood KDC-x996, because it has all the features which i was finding. Its a great information to me.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I ended up ordering the Kenwood KDC-BT752HD through Crutchfield. It was a little more expensive than at Amazon, but I liked the idea of the tech support, and Crutchfield includes the wiring harness and dash kit. I compared the Crutchfield supplied dash kit to the one available at Walmart, and the Crutchfield one was much nicer.

I am 2000 miles later I'm pretty happy with the unit. The controls could be a bit more intuitive, and I sometimes have a problem where I start the car, begin listening to my iPhone via USB, but moments later the Kenwood handshakes with the phone via Bluetooth and automatically switches away from USB, cutting off my music. There is probably a way to defeat this, but I haven't found it.

I agree with the earlier poster who said the USB in the front can be a pain. I do leave a cord plugged in there at all times, so it does dangle down and looks tacky, but that's fine because it matches the rest of my car... If you wanted a nicer appearance, rear USB with a cord routed to the glove or a suitable dash or console pocket would be much better. An option for both would be great.

Thanks to all who responded.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page