Android Tablet Car Stereo / Nav / OBD Display + More... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did a few searches and couldn't locate anything in this forum. Please provide link(s) if I missed threads.

I want to replace the display and cassette deck in my double DIN with a 7" android tablet PC. An iPad or 10" tablet will not fit. I'll probably go with an Acer Iconia A100 tablet. Not sure if the OS is honeycomb or ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) but that doesn't matter.

My questions are mostly what components to buy (amp, connectors) and how / where to mount the amplifier and components to preserve sound quality. I've read that minimizing cable lengths of certain types of signals is very important. I'm either going to do this to a '97 BMW E39 (528i) or an '08 Merc Mariner (same as Ford Escape / Mazda Tribute)

Here's a link one guy's install:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1768938&highlight=android

Has anybody here been there / done that and have the scars to show?.... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was just coming here to ask the exact same question. I was planning on getting a Pioneer AppRadio2 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+2+(SPH-DA100)) which has an Android connectivity kit which would hook up to my Galaxy Nexus via MHL. Supposedly it only works with certain approved apps though, although Google Navigation works pretty nicely with it (depending on which review you read). But some of the lower rated reviews scared me a bit, so I'm holding off buying it before I check all of my options again.

I like the idea of the AppRadio2 since I'm a Verizon customer, and almost all of the Android double-din options I've seen (mostly Chinese ones) require a HSPA (GSM sim card) service provider to get an internet connection. That was when I started looking for just a double din player that would allow me to just use a TV-Out mode on my phone (aka TV-In on the double din unit). Searching for that, I found the AppRadio2.

A 7" tablet is not a bad idea though, especially with Google supposedly coming out with a $200 dollar Nexus option sometime this summer.

Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but I'm interested in any ideas people have for this also...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Currently there is not an aftermarket solution to utilize the android or android tablet as a source. I know it could be done as there are people who have used the Ipad and the Nook as the source. They usually output to some form of preamp that gives you volume control and rca's to feed the signal to whatever amps you plan to use.

MS-8
Bit-one
H800

these 3 processors are probably the most common.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

cubdenno,

Thanks for sharing. Aftermarket hardware / software for a tablet, especially and Android OS, would be a nightmare for any manufacturer as they simply couldn't keep up with all the variations in OS, inputs /outputs, etc.

I'm going to DIY this. Just looking for some help from others who ventured into the swamp... Kinda surprised there aren't more folks on this forum into it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

I was just coming here to ask the exact same question. I was planning on getting a Pioneer AppRadio2 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+2+(SPH-DA100)) which has an Android connectivity kit which would hook up to my Galaxy Nexus via MHL. Supposedly it only works with certain approved apps though, although Google Navigation works pretty nicely with it (depending on which review you read). But some of the lower rated reviews scared me a bit, so I'm holding off buying it before I check all of my options again.
I like the idea of the AppRadio2 since I'm a Verizon customer, and almost all of the Android double-din options I've seen (mostly Chinese ones) require a HSPA (GSM sim card) service provider to get an internet connection. That was when I started looking for just a double din player that would allow me to just use a TV-Out mode on my phone (aka TV-In on the double din unit). Searching for that, I found the AppRadio2.
A 7" tablet is not a bad idea though, especially with Google supposedly coming out with a $200 dollar Nexus option sometime this summer.
Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but I'm interested in any ideas people have for this also...

EVV,

Thanks for that link. That is a nice HU w/ 50W x 4 channels. Looks like it's primarily built for the iphone market. 6 bills seems rich but I will probably blow that much experimenting with setups to find one that works. Looks like you have to buy the apps separately.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hey just wanted to add this link I found last night, http://avic411.com/index.php?/forum/62-appradio-appradio-2/.. Idk if you're into this stuff, but it seems like they got some hacks available for the AppRadio2 I posted about before... it looks like the place to check out as far as getting unofficial apps working..

Alot of the good stuff available already is intended for the iPhone, but it shouldn't be to long until Android stuff is available
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page