WAV File Playback Support For Newer Head Units? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Maybe I'm behind the curve, but I recently bought a new car and immediately wanted to upgrade the crummy stock sound system. In my older car, I pulled my gear which includes a Alpine 9887 head unit which will play back WAV files from my iPod via the direct iPod usb connection. I've been really happy with the audio quality from the 9887 (except for the hassle of the whole "Imprint" tuning ordeal with additional hardware and software).

I was thinking about getting a new double din unit with all the bells and whistles instead of dropping in my old Alpine but as far as I can tell, all newer head units including all Alpines will only play back MP3, WMA and AAC encoded music files through an iPod (unless I want to use a standard Auxillary connection which kind of defeats the purpose of best music audio quality + iPod control through the head unit).

Have all car audio head unit manufacturers dropped WAV file support and if so, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I seems odd they wouldn't support it, but I would try converting your WAV to ALAC on your ipod since that is Apple's native lossless file format. I located a PDF of the user manual for this head unit, and it doesn't say if it does or doesn't support WAV, ALAC, or any other lossless formats.

Alpine 9887
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_CDA-9887.PDF

I know Pioneer, Kenwood, and JVC have all support WAV in the past, and if you say Alpine does, then you might have to just try a new head unit out and see if it supports it or not because it looks like those details are not included in the manuals anymore.

If your factory stereo supports WAV, is iPod ready, and you want to keep it, you could always attach an external equalizer to take the place of an aftermarket head unit. Here are some models: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/equalizer.html
The prices vary, and you can always get them cheaper somewhere else. This would probably work best if you had upgraded all the other audio components in the vehicle.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a new pioneer (avh-p8400bh double din) which continues to support WAV
post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BigBarney,

Does it support WAV via USB storage? Could I plug a USB HD and have it play from that?
I'm guessing you'll lose all Tags though with WAV, so you can't sort, search, etc , via album/song/artist/ whatever..?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Yup. So does JVC.,

The tag info is not there, but you can still search through file name.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page