Wires connecting amplifier and speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I assume my car has original speaker wires that are connected to my front and rear speakers. Do I need to buy new speaker wires or I can use the originals? Also does it make a big difference to buy 14 gauge speaker wires from crutchfield for better performance or it really makes no difference? Also to connect a 4 channel amp to power do I need to buy one power cable? I'm seeing only for 2 channel amps and it says for 4 channel you need to buy additional cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuV2SPD View Post

I assume my car has original speaker wires that are connected to my front and rear speakers. Do I need to buy new speaker wires or I can use the originals? Also does it make a big difference to buy 14 gauge speaker wires from crutchfield for better performance or it really makes no difference? Also to connect a 4 channel amp to power do I need to buy one power cable? I'm seeing only for 2 channel amps and it says for 4 channel you need to buy additional cables.

Original head unit or did you put one in?

Anyway,

You CAN use the factory wiring. It can be a pain though. Couple of methods are to use the rear speaker wires to connect to the amp and then jumper to the front speaker wires in the dash . OR you can run speaker wires to the front in the dash and splice to the factory speaker wires.

16 gauge wire is probably going to be fine unless you are running kilowatts on a sub and the run is fairly long. Buying big speaker wire is generally a waste of cash. Also though going too small can be detrimental.

Depending on how you are using your amp will determine the number of cables.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 3 Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The installer did use the original rear speaker wires to connect the front speakers to the amp but did use a piece of stronger cable to actually connect to amplifier.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page