Need help with low profile sub design under back seat of truck. Driver, Tuning advice needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I am designing a sub enclosure to go under the back seat of a truck for a friend. I need the help of you guys more familiar with car sub design. There are two variables which I need advice. Subwoofer driver choice and Box internal volume and alignment type. The maximum volume is already determined by the rear seat height and is 2.25ft^3.

The details

• The enclosure maximum internal volume is 2.25ft^3.
  • He wants to spend approx $100-125 for each driver assuming two drivers in this enclosure so figure $250 budget for driver(s)
  • He wants to use a Kenwood KAC-9104D he already has.
  • His listening preference is Rock, Metal, Classic Rock. Think ACDC, Metallica, Nickelback, shutup i know this music is not very popular these days. tongue.gif
  • Mounting depth is shallow at only 6"

Now he like the Kenwood XR-W10F and I modeled a sealed enclosure in the volume he has. This driver likes a bigger box for flat response. It has a high Q bump at 50-60Hz, but since he likes rock music I thought he migh actually like that bump for the kick drum. I also modeled ported but it didn't yield any significant output and introduced more issues with excursion so I thought better to stick sealed.

I am pretty saavy with HT subwoofers but as far as Car audio i'm a little green. I don't know as much about small cabin gain in a car, and not sure how much extension is really needed in a car sub either so ADVICE IS GREATLY NEEDED. His amp choice works with those subs when wired to 8ohms. I assume the amp is capable of 250WRMS @ 8ohms based on its specs and excursion is under control with 125W/driver in that sealed volume.

He hasn't bought the subs yet, I just wanted to make sure nothing stands out as "just plain wrong" with this design before we move forward and see if another driver choice might work better.

Nicholas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-462

Two of these subs. About ten bucks over budget but they will rock.

.7 cubic foot per woofer for 1.4 total. Tune it to 30 hertz and that set up should provide ample clean low end for any music.

That amp wil power those two subs with 900 watts of power when they are wired parallel for a two ohm load DCR. The amp also has a built in SSF to roll off below tuning to keep the woofer from unloading on anything below 30 hertz.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page