Buying my wife a car stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So my wife wants a new car stereo for her 2005 Toyota Corolla. She currently has the 6 speaker system but wants something with bluetooth and/or AUX/USN connectivity. In looking around on the Crutchfield site, she settled on this unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWHR81B/JVC-KW-HDR81BT.html?tp=5684

Of course, Crutchfield doesn't have it in stock. Neither do any of the local retailers. I did find this place that has it online for a good price. Has anyone used them before?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_31343_JVC_KW-HDR81BT.aspx

A concern is making sure to get the proper size. The Crutchfield guide lists Double-DIN as a possibility. To the naked eye, the opening is big. The above link lists single-DIN stereos when I enter her vehicle information. I am inclined to trust the Crutchfield data more but don't want to have to return it.

Lastly, they don't include any harnesses or brackets. My wife doesn't want me messing around with the install so she's going to pay to have it done, Should I not worry about those things since the place doing the install will provide them?

Thanks in advance.smile.gif

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500W235BT/Alpine-CDE-W235BT.html?tp=5684

Give this a look if it fits. I run an 06 Toyota as my stero car with six speakers and double din works for me.

I would go with crutch field because they supply everything including instructions. The wiring harnesses make it so easy that there is no wire cutting. It is unplug harness from old deck. Remove old deck. Get insulated butt splice connectors and crimp harness adapter sent by crutch field to new head unit harness . Wire tie it neatly and plug into dash. Only difficult thing is the steering wheel controls adapter and that isn't terrible.

I am partial to alpine because I use them and have had great luck. Don't know enough about the jvc to offer any pro or con.

Really want to make her smile? Add a small powered sub in her trunk. Nothing crazy. Just enough to give a small bump in the foundation.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Give this a look if it fits. I run an 06 Toyota as my stero car with six speakers and double din works for me.

I would go with crutch field because they supply everything including instructions. The wiring harnesses make it so easy that there is no wire cutting. It is unplug harness from old deck. Remove old deck. Get insulated butt splice connectors and crimp harness adapter sent by crutch field to new head unit harness . Wire tie it neatly and plug into dash. Only difficult thing is the steering wheel controls adapter and that isn't terrible.

I am partial to alpine because I use them and have had great luck. Don't know enough about the jvc to offer any pro or con.

Really want to make her smile? Add a small powered sub in her trunk. Nothing crazy. Just enough to give a small bump in the foundation.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #4 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

I appreciate the info. I'll pass it along to her. She definitely doesn't want a sub, though. She would prefer the trunk space more. If it was up to me, I'd install it for her but she is adamant about having it "professionally" installed. I learned years ago to pick my battles.biggrin.gif

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 AM

Liked: 10
I also suggested "Alpine CDE-W235BT" same as cubdenno

Your wife will love it.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I'm working on it. Her first response was that she didn't like the look.rolleyes.gif

I'm ready to leave that up to her and start looking for speakers.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the speakers the door 6X9's, dash two inches and rear package shelf 6X9's?

Drop in replacements are going to cost a couple hundred to over five hundred if you get the image dynamic set.

I suggest just replacing the front speakers and leaving the rear factory ones in place. You may even want to swap the head unit first ans see if it sounds better with the factory speakers. I thought they were surprisingly decent in my solara.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_24364_Precision-Power-PPI-PC2.65C.html

These will require an adapter. I have installed these in a car for a friend of my son. Not bad.

There are cheaper sets out there. I run active and buy raw drivers most of the time. So without hearing them myself, it's hard to recommend.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #8 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

Are the speakers the door 6X9's, dash two inches and rear package shelf 6X9's?
Drop in replacements are going to cost a couple hundred to over five hundred if you get the image dynamic set.
I suggest just replacing the front speakers and leaving the rear factory ones in place. You may even want to swap the head unit first ans see if it sounds better with the factory speakers. I thought they were surprisingly decent in my solara.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_24364_Precision-Power-PPI-PC2.65C.html
These will require an adapter. I have installed these in a car for a friend of my son. Not bad.
There are cheaper sets out there. I run active and buy raw drivers most of the time. So without hearing them myself, it's hard to recommend.

She is nuts. I told her to get the stereo installed first and take it from there because I also like the sound of the factory speakers. If she did start replacing speakers, I thought that it would be a better idea to start with the 6X9's in the back and go from there. I think the speakers in the door are 5 1/4" but I need to verify that. If she wants to replace the tweeters as well, I'm filing for divorce.biggrin.gif

post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally got the stereo and got it installed. Sounds great. The stock speakers are doing a good job as well. More importantly, my wife is happy. smile.gif

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page