Lossless gapless head unit supporting external hard drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone found a head unit capable of playing lossless, gapless music (preferably FLAC) from an attached high capacity (say 1TB) hard drive?

I'd love to be able to load my FLAC music onto a hard drive, plug it into the car an have everything I own available while driving....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Amen brother!

I'd settle for a USB stick or an SDXC card (say up to 64 GB) instead of spinning platers. But still, just copying FLAC's to the car and listening to them in thier glory is sort of the holy grail for me. Been looking for a while and I still haven't found one.

But maybe someone saw something new at CES (or other show) this year. I can hope.

Mike
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Some JVC supports FLAC

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029028&pathId=147&page=2

But WAV has become the more popular, which is supported by pioneer, alpine, jvc, and I'm pretty sure kenwood as well

I now have a pioneer HU and do mostly wav from both stick and hard drive (pioneer has 2 usb inputs), and the sound is great.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the jvc. Do you know for sure if it supports gapless playback?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Not that I know of. Not with wav or flac anyway. There are some hu's which can be set to 'fake' gapless playback with a sound effect at the gaps (such as my pioneer), but I've always looked at it as a bit cheesy and don't use it.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 AM

I don't understand why these features aren't standard. Empeg/Rio had gapless playback (MP3) in 1999. Long out of production, but you can still find them used and I believe the v3 Alpha firmware supports Flac http://www.empeg.com/downloads.

My all-singing, all-dancing 2011 Kenwood with Satnav etc. can't do either of these.

The other great thing about the Empeg is it stays on for a preset time after you turn the ignition off, so it doesn't have to reboot when you start the engine of pop into a shop for 5 minutes.

The Empeg can take 2 hard disks but read this before going large http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Drive_Upgrade&file=index

Although I'm not using mine at the moment, it still tickles me to think my 2001 unit has an Ethernet port, runs Linux etc. It was very ahead of it's time - image how good their unit would be if they made one today.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page