Need help with subwoofer wiring/setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The other day I ordered a Pioneer 10" Dual 4 ohm Champion PRO Series Car Subwoofer ( TS-2502D4) and the Boss PH2.800 2-Channel amplifier for my car. I had planned to bridge the amp and run it at 2 ohms, but it's max impedance is 4 ohms bridged or unbridged(Which I didn't realize when I had purchased, their site said the Phantom series could run 2 ohms, unfortunately I didn't see the asterisk). Since my subwoofer has a dual voice coil, would running each coil to a different channel harm the subwoofer?

Pioneer TS-2502D4:
800 watt RMS
3000 watt peak
4 ohm impedance per voice coil

Boss Ph2.800:
RMS @ 4 ohms 260 watt x 2 channels
RMS Bridged 520 watt
Peak Power 800 watt x 2 channel
Peak Bridged 1600 watt
Minimum Impedance bridged or unbridged 4 ohms

I suppose the real question is, should I run each voice coil independently or....?
I read about series wiring, so that it is 8 ohms to each coil and 4 ohms on the amp(bridged), but wouldn't that technically halve the power output of the amp? Because the subwoofer uses quite a bit of watts, the more the merrier! I may not quite be understanding the basics of the wiring yet though, I am just looking for the best way to use this combo, because buying a new amp with my current job is out of the question at the moment.
This is my first ever subwoofer and I would appreciate some input smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Chadwick View Post

The other day I ordered a Pioneer 10" Dual 4 ohm Champion PRO Series Car Subwoofer ( TS-2502D4) and the Boss PH2.800 2-Channel amplifier for my car. I had planned to bridge the amp and run it at 2 ohms, but it's max impedance is 4 ohms bridged or unbridged(Which I didn't realize when I had purchased, their site said the Phantom series could run 2 ohms, unfortunately I didn't see the asterisk). Since my subwoofer has a dual voice coil, would running each coil to a different channel harm the subwoofer?

Pioneer TS-2502D4:
800 watt RMS
3000 watt peak
4 ohm impedance per voice coil

Boss Ph2.800:
RMS @ 4 ohms 260 watt x 2 channels
RMS Bridged 520 watt
Peak Power 800 watt x 2 channel
Peak Bridged 1600 watt
Minimum Impedance bridged or unbridged 4 ohms

I suppose the real question is, should I run each voice coil independently or....?
I read about series wiring, so that it is 8 ohms to each coil and 4 ohms on the amp(bridged), but wouldn't that technically halve the power output of the amp? Because the subwoofer uses quite a bit of watts, the more the merrier! I may not quite be understanding the basics of the wiring yet though, I am just looking for the best way to use this combo, because buying a new amp with my current job is out of the question at the moment.
This is my first ever subwoofer and I would appreciate some input smile.gif

Mason, running either stereo or series wired bridged will be fine. End result will be the same amount of power to the subwoofer.

That amp will put out its rated power if it gets hit by lightning. Just letting you know. The good thing is, it will make a good starter amp for you. Run the sub with it. When you save enough money, buy a class D mono sub amp to power the sub and use the boss to power your door speakers

Make sure you put that sub in the correct enclosure. Not sure of your musical preference, but can suggest some enclosure options if you like.

remember the gain on the amp does not make it put out more power. It just allows you to adjust where on your head units volume knob the amp hits max power (if that makes sense.)

Good luck and if you have any more questions, let us know!
Mason Chadwick likes this.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

Mason, running either stereo or series wired bridged will be fine. End result will be the same amount of power to the subwoofer.

That amp will put out its rated power if it gets hit by lightning. Just letting you know. The good thing is, it will make a good starter amp for you. Run the sub with it. When you save enough money, buy a class D mono sub amp to power the sub and use the boss to power your door speakers

Make sure you put that sub in the correct enclosure. Not sure of your musical preference, but can suggest some enclosure options if you like.

remember the gain on the amp does not make it put out more power. It just allows you to adjust where on your head units volume knob the amp hits max power (if that makes sense.)

Good luck and if you have any more questions, let us know!

Thank you for the help! I'm supposed to receive the amp and sub on friday, but I decided I would send back the amp and get a monoblock, spending an extra $35 for the amp. If I had enough money to buy both I would use the amp for my deck speakers(door speakers are stock and very ******).
I now plan to get the Hifonics HFi1000.1D Amplifier. It's rated for 750 watts RMS at 2 ohms. It also has quite a few other good perks too(such as a subsonic filter and the ability to run at 1 ohm in case I plan to upgrade my system).

I think my only other question is should I run my amp at it's full capacity? Or can I run it lower? I figured since it is capable of 1000 watts RMS at 1 ohm that I could run full power on 2 ohms without it overheating. I would like to get as much output as possible, but not so much as to distort the sound or overheat my amp. If my subwoofer is rated for 800 RMS, could I run my amp at say 500-600 watts and still get good sound?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Thank you for the help! I'm supposed to receive the amp and sub on friday, but I decided I would send back the amp and get a monoblock, spending an extra $35 for the amp. If I had enough money to buy both I would use the amp for my deck speakers(door speakers are stock and very ******).
I now plan to get the Hifonics HFi1000.1D Amplifier. It's rated for 750 watts RMS at 2 ohms. It also has quite a few other good perks too(such as a subsonic filter and the ability to run at 1 ohm in case I plan to upgrade my system).

I think my only other question is should I run my amp at it's full capacity? Or can I run it lower? I figured since it is capable of 1000 watts RMS at 1 ohm that I could run full power on 2 ohms without it overheating. I would like to get as much output as possible, but not so much as to distort the sound or overheat my amp. If my subwoofer is rated for 800 RMS, could I run my amp at say 500-600 watts and still get good sound?

Since your sub is dual voice coil and 4 ohms DCR per coil you can run it 3 ways.
Series for an 8 ohm DCR at the amp
Stereo for a 4 ohm DCR on a stereo amplifier (per channel)
Parallel for a 2 ohm load DCR at the amp.

So hooking this up to your new mono amp, run it parallel for a 2 ohm load.

Look for a ported enclosure. something in the 30-35 hertz tuning range if it says. Tuning higher might be a bit louder but it will also tend to sound worse.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #5 of 5 Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

first off i am glad to hear you are returning the amp...i am not a ran of running DVC subs from two stereo channels.

Now not sure if it is allowed or not, but let me offer up the opportunity for you to PM me about a 3 month old rockford fosgate mono amp i am selling...its a couple months old, and in like new condition.

Here is a link...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KlQY8IoGne0/p_575P5001BD/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P500-1bd.html

Tim
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page