Help finding a head unit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to put a double din receiver in my '09 Rabbit, and I'm not really familiar with car audio (coming from HT audio) so I was hoping to get some good recommendations here, or to be pointed in the direction of some knowledge.

Trying to keep it under $400, but really the cheaper the better, as I don't need many features. I'm ideally looking for a unit that will give me a (guessing a sub pre-amp would be nice, what kind of wattage should I be looking for?). Features I'm looking for:
- Bluetooth phone and music streaming from an iPhone 3GS
- SD card slot
- Physical volume knob
- Red lighting to match the stock dash (the less obnoxious the better)

I like the clean look of many of the nav/DVD receivers, however I have no need for nav (my phone is better), DVD, HD Radio, Pandora, steering wheel controls, etc. and I'm looking to keep to my budget.

From what I understand I should be looking at Alpine and Pioneer decks, but features seem to vary wildly each model year, and SD slots seem to have disappeared along the way.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ximity View Post

I'm looking to put a double din receiver in my '09 Rabbit, and I'm not really familiar with car audio (coming from HT audio) so I was hoping to get some good recommendations here, or to be pointed in the direction of some knowledge.

Trying to keep it under $400, but really the cheaper the better, as I don't need many features. I'm ideally looking for a unit that will give me a (guessing a sub pre-amp would be nice, what kind of wattage should I be looking for?). Features I'm looking for:
- Bluetooth phone and music streaming from an iPhone 3GS
- SD card slot
- Physical volume knob
- Red lighting to match the stock dash (the less obnoxious the better)

I like the clean look of many of the nav/DVD receivers, however I have no need for nav (my phone is better), DVD, HD Radio, Pandora, steering wheel controls, etc. and I'm looking to keep to my budget.

From what I understand I should be looking at Alpine and Pioneer decks, but features seem to vary wildly each model year, and SD slots seem to have disappeared along the way.

Thanks for any help or advice.

this one I put in a lot of lately and it's a pretty cool unit,it has everything you wanted except the volume is up & dn buttons instead of a knob.
it has HD radio & detachable face.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P8400BH
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got the Pioneer AVH X5500, love it!

No SD and slightly out of your budget (esp when considering added cost of iPhone cable). Why use SD when you can hook up the phone or use Bluetooth?

I have an android phone and find it easier since I can stream Pandora via Bluetooth, my phone is mounted above for nav and other things.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF