Clarion Subwoofer Repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently acquired dual 12" Clarion subwoofers; unfortunately one of them has a tear in the foam surround. The tear is about a few inches along where the surround meets the cone.

I was wondering if there is anything I can try to repair it with. I've read around a bit and saw some people have used tissue paper and nail polish, goop, flex grip, etc. I also read that some materials won't bond well with some materials.

I haven't uninstalled the sub to find out what model# it is, but I'm sure Clarion probably uses the same materials in their subwoofer lineups.

Here is an image of the damage:

Anyone have any experience repairing Clarion subwoofers? Can I get away with just patching the tear from the outside without taking the sub out and patching the underside?

Suggestions and comments much appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
give it a try. The worst that happens is it doesn't work. I have seen everything used from duct tape (seriously) to silicone. the problem you will have is it looks like it tore along the edge of the cone to surround joint. because that is going to be a difficult area to repair due to the constant movement and force it will have to endure.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

give it a try. The worst that happens is it doesn't work. I have seen everything used from duct tape (seriously) to silicone. the problem you will have is it looks like it tore along the edge of the cone to surround joint. because that is going to be a difficult area to repair due to the constant movement and force it will have to endure.

Would you happen to know if Automotive Goop will work good with the foam surround, or will it eat it. Goop seems to have awesome reviews on how well it works ... I just don't want to make things worse off than they are now.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

No clue bud. Sorry.

Problem with anything, especially foam surrounds is that once they tear, they will tear more easily. at the original tear of course.

What model of sub? it may end up being easier to just replace the thing. Clarion subs if i recall are not that pricey.

XBL-Steelhouse1

Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance to take the subs out yet to check the model. I'll probably just try to buy some of that Goop and see how it goes, using a tiny bit of duct tape if necessary to get by till I can just buy some replacements, thing is I'm going to want to replace both at the same time which will probably run me a few hundred at least.

I'll be happy if the repair lasts a few months for the summer, then buy some decent ones later on.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Look for some good flexible/rubbery tape and the adhesive goop. read the label on the goop. try to patch both sides. use tape on top with goop to help seal. Use thin layer of goop on the back side to help seal.

XBL-Steelhouse1

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I finally took the sub out to check the model number ... SRW1285

And I guess it's not a foam surround, it's rubber composite (although is feels like foam to me .. Lol). When you say flexible rubbery tape ... electrical tape? will that work at all?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

It might. we ARE treading in water that my experience level is zilch. smile.gif

Oh I have done the screwdriver through the surround and have been able to "fix" it. Your tear is a bit more significant. You could try some good super glue and then goop to try to fix and seal the tear. Or tape. After all, there really is no wrong answer as you are just trying to extend the usability by a few months.

XBL-Steelhouse1