10 and 12" ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello everyone,

want to say i know very little about car audio and thanks for input.
ive looked around on the internet and had a hard time finding what i want to do so thought I'd start here in asking myself.

i have a 12" sub 200w rms. and a 10" sub 300w rms. both 4ohm
can these be plugged into an audison sr1d ?
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sure.
These amps don't see the size of components. They just see the impedance. Hook them up in parallel for a 2 ohm load and the amp will push out 460W. I would imagine that's peak value they've noted on the amp page, but if you take the root mean square of that, you're still pushing more than 300 watts so you will have to be careful..... push too hard for too long and you will most likely blow the 12", but as long as you respect that then it will work fine.

Your sub enclosers will of course not be quite the same because they DO take component size into account.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I agree with BB. A lot of people will poo poo the decision to run different sized subs. Just make sure they do not share the sameenclosure space. keep them in separate chambers and you should be fine.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #4 of 4 Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 10
You can definitely make this work. This is how I would do it:
I'd get two separate monoblock amps for each sub.
Each sub would have its own enclosure box.
You can give each sub the correct wattage it requires to run safely at the RMS rating and Impedance.
It would be good to know if they are Single-Voice-Coil or Double-Voice-Coil. I would then go to sonicelectronix.com to see wiring guides.
Run a single wire from your battery to a power distribution block. Distribution block must be in between both amps. Then have two wires powering the amps.
You can get another distribution block for ground or just ground the two wires from into the sanded, non-painted surface on the chasis.
Now the trick would be to have your RCA cables go from a single to double output. I'd plug my RCA to my Headunit/Equalizer and run it to the amps, then split it into two.
Obtain a Digital Multi-Meter to measure your final impedance of your subs, meaning once you wire them, get the correct impedance for the proper RMS wattage needed to run your subs ideally.
Finally, since you have two different amps and subs, you have to tune the amps gain so you don't get distortion.
Use this website, http://sparky3489.webs.com/amplifiergain.htm , to match your final impedance of your subs and the RMS Wattage. For example, once you wire your sub, you may end up with 1 ohm impedance with 300 RMS Wattage. At the cross section of the chart in the link I provided, make note of the Voltage. Follow the steps in the link and adjust your gain for optimum output from your subs. Basically what you are doing is adjusting the gain/sensitivity to get close to distortion/clipping level, where your sine wave starts to square off at the peaks, and turn the knob one step below where clipping occurs. You can tell by ear where distortion occurs. When the 60Hz tune is playing in your subs ONLY, you will hear a hum and as you increase the gain, the hum will change pitch and start to buzz. Buzzing means you are in distortion field. Step it down a notch and get back to the hum. The buzz comes when you surpass the indicated voltage value in the link I've provided.
That's it.
If you've got any questions feel free to PM me.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page