Pyle PLCM7300BT 7" TFT Mirror Monitor/Backup Night Vision Kit with Bluetooth Manual Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Click on Picture to Enlarge

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM7300BT/7TFT-Mirror-Monitor-W-Rear-View-Night-Vision-Camera-Built-In-Bluetooth

Manual is in the "Manuals and Downloads"

Hi,

I have discovered that the Backup Camera products have a very poor manual, both my old one and my new one.

Information on the Internet is very poor also, so I have written the following and request help to improve it. Perhaps a new useful manual will be the result.

Questions for similar products are welcome.

Quote:

05/21/2013

This is a purchase to replace the monitor for my "Tview RV102C Back-up Camera".

The RV102C backlight has dimmed to the point that the display is almost useless even with the contrast turned way up. Because of the long tunnel effect of my long van it was on whenever I was driving. I hope the same will not happen with the PLCM7300BT. The RV102C is out of production, but the PLCM7300BT appears to be designed (And the manual written) by the same people.

The existing camera's (2) will be used, I expect with no problem. New camera tested with my HTPC, existing camera(s) tested with new monitor. NTSC is NTSC. They both worked.

The manual for the PLCM7300BT is just as bad as the RV102C one was, useless. So here is some more information.

Monitor wiring, black and red wires passing through a little box.
Black to ground, Red to +12 Volts which my Van Conversion Shop connected to the fuse box, a fuse that has power only when the key is turned on. Inside the little box is a 2 Amp fuse, a choke, two capacitors and a diode which eliminates power spikes on old vehicles (I think starting motors were the cause, new vehicles with all their computers have no problem ). The diode may be for protection for reverse power connections or overvoltage protection by blowing the fuse. Circuit board is hard to trace. The RV102C also had the same little box!

Two Video connectors, one male and one female. Female is for camera/

A Green wire which I will not connect as I want the monitor to be on all the time. This will change when I move the camera power switch from the back of my van to the dash. (I and the Van Conversion shop owner, who had taken the Dodge training course, failed to realize that the camera would drain my camping battery, a switch at the back of the van was the solution.)

Testing the Green wire action with my bench power supply produced the following results.

The Vehicle Key in the run position and the PLCM7300BT off. Connecting the Green wire to + 12V turns the monitor on and switches to the camera Video input. The Green wire is intended to be connected to the back up lights, with newer vehicles with LED back up lights, I must confess that I have no idea.

The back up light wire at the rear of the vehicle is where the camera power is intended to come from.

The Vehicle Key in the run position and the PLCM7300BT on. Connecting the Green wire to + 12V switches to the camera Video input. Removing the + 12V on the Green wire switches back to the other Video input.

If you connect the second Video input to anything that is not a camera, and use it when the vehicle is in motion, you go directly to jail!

Both 16:9 and 4:3 Video sources can be connected, see the Menu options. (NTSC)

There appears to be a microphone supplied which plugs into the bottom of the PLCM7300BT. I have no mobile phone so I can not do any testing, I have read elsewhere that all is not well with the blue tooth function. Those words are suspect as I see two speakers on the back of the monitor and the supplied microphone. The monitor touch buttons and the remote can adjust the speaker volume, "Analog variable increase / decrease" in the manual.

Comparison with the "Tview RV102C " with the "Pyle PLCM7300BT".

Touch buttons on the PLCM7300BT work quite well and the remote does also. The RV102C is horrible on both counts.

The PLCM7300BT has a better mirror when it is off, but for me little value in my long van.

(As I found little information about similar products on the Internet, I have no objection for this to be posted elsewhere.)

A little rewriting and maybe they will make it into the PLCM7300BT's manual which is badly needed.

SHF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I have replaced my "Tview RV102C" with the "Pyle PLCM7300BT" monitor keeping the existing cameras.

Basically I am disappointed.

I had hoped to view the monitor with my sunglasses on ($1 at Dollar Tree), but I cannot not. The picture is about as bright as the "Tview RV102C" was with the contrast turned way up. This is the same with both of my cameras, one mounted on the license plate and one in the rear door.

With the sunglasses off, I would rate the "Tview RV102C" having a brighter picture but then that was when the back-light was at full brightness when it was new.

Also, the picture adjusts on the "Pyle PLCM7300BT" monitor not as well to changing light conditions as I remember the "Tview RV102C" did.

I have yet to do any night driving or twilight conditions, but someone has reported elsewhere that the performance is not good.

I have the "Pyle PLCM7300BT" camera connected to my HDTV and watching it's picture as the sun moves the white areas loose definition.

In some sun angles it might be possible to miss a child sitting on the ground, something that I consider a must.

In most cases, the "Pyle PLCM7300BT" will do it's intended job, but a better camera and monitor can be built and may have.

Problems:

• The mirror is so good that the picture is hard to view sometimes, not a problem with the "Tview RV102C", I had the picture using ~ 2/3 of the screen and by looking at the right side and the left side my eyes could select either the picture or the mirror. I had to turn the "Pyle PLCM7300BT"monitor so that the view out the rear door of my van was not visible.
  • The Bluetooth message when the monitor is turned on is annoying. I will try and measure the off current to see if it is possible to have the power connected all the time. With a vehicle used every day this might be possible. Not in my case.
  • Finding the back up light wire at the front of a vehicle for the green wire may be a problem, this is how the expert installers earn their money. My van conversion shop charged a large cost to install my first back up camera system. How to hide the monitor wires above the windshield, connect the power to the fuse box, run the Video cable to the rear of the van and down under the van to the license plate mount for the Video and power cables they all did. Both shop owners did part of the work.
  • As the Video cable needs to be run to the back of the vehicle, running a green wire back to the front along the same path from the back up light power connection is a solution if the back up light connection is hard to find at the front of the vehicle.
  • I may be able to adjust the settings to obtain a better picture, but quick tests at stop lights indicated no joy.
  • If possible I will replace the back-light in my "Tview RV102C". I looked very hard for an replacement but none were available and TView no longer has it on their website, but a direct link I saved enabled me to get a copy of the also poor manual.
  • I will be comparing my two license plate cameras to see if the original one is actually better than the new (Not to be used). The second camera Video and power cables are not hidden and available for easy connection to the new camera.

I hope this is useful, ask if you have any questions.

SHF

post #3 of 3 Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the wiring for my Dodge 2003 Van

Click on picture for larger view

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav