Any thoughts budget priced FLAC cap. Kenwood KMM-100(U) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problems I have.

Sirius radio via FM - FM station crowding in my area.
-Solution: AUX IN front panel

I currently don't have a CD changer
-Solution: USB 2.0 @ 1A front panel will accept Flash drive

My CD library is already ripped to FLAC on my media server
-Solution: FLAC support cool.gifbiggrin.gif

Cheap middle aged curmudgeon (Me)
- solution <$100

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KMM-100U

For reference - my home system (what I'm accustomed to at home):
-Pioneer Elite VSX 43 TX
-Infinity RSb fronts (vintage 1978)
-soso Infinity 5.x completer set for center and surrounds
-Parts Express 15" 1000 watt kit Sub
-WDTV Live Hub media server

I've got plans to further improve the sound in the ride (Xterra). This would be the first step.

The question is - does anyone have experience with this head unit? I've exhausted most all the reviews on the web and I don't have one locally to audition.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just literally put one in my nephews new to him car last month. So far he likes it. He has his music on his phone so the lack of CD was not a biggie. It cost 80 bucks from crutchfield.

He does not have flac files but the quality was not bad at all. The onboard amp seemed to power his interior speakers fine.

My concerns and how I addresses them:

Single set of RCA outputs. This limits the ease of upgrading to a full of board powered system with fade capability. Though honestly if he does, I will suggest a processor like the JBL MS8 or Alpine H800.

There is no crossover functionality to limit the bandwidth for the onboard amplifier. he is a kid that listens to high bass content music. So break up is going to happen if not addressed. I simply added some 6db/oct (caps) to the interior speakers at 300 hertz. cost was about 20 bucks. He was happy. And the speakers don't distort and break up when the bass hits.

Otherwise, a good media player. You should enjoy it.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

Just literally put one in my nephews new to him car last month. So far he likes it. He has his music on his phone so the lack of CD was not a biggie. It cost 80 bucks from crutchfield.

Yup, that's where I saw it first.
Quote:

He does not have flac files but the quality was not bad at all. The onboard amp seemed to power his interior speakers fine.

Matches up with some of the stuff I read in some of the reviews.

USB section specs out with:
Frequency Response (±1 dB) 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (1 kHz) 105 dB
Dynamic Range 90 dB
Channel Separation 85 dB

I figured it should be at least above average.

Quote:

Single set of RCA outputs. This limits the ease of upgrading to a full of board powered system with fade capability. Though honestly if he does, I will suggest a processor like the JBL MS8 or Alpine H800.

We'll have to part company there my friend. It's all in the "Cheap middle aged curmudgeon" thing. My two possibles are the Clarion EQS746 off the two RCA's:

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2011/audio/accessories/EQS746/us-en-product-pf_1259459740345.html

Or something like this at speaker level:

http://www.nvx.com/xfloc4.html

Then to a 4 or 5 channel amp.
Quote:

There is no crossover functionality to limit the bandwidth for the onboard amplifier. he is a kid that listens to high bass content music. So break up is going to happen if not addressed. I simply added some 6db/oct (caps) to the interior speakers at 300 hertz. cost was about 20 bucks. He was happy. And the speakers don't distort and break up when the bass hits.

I don't have that issue and if I add an amp I'll have a crossover there.

Thanks again for the input.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I would go the clarion. But I like eq functionality.

And totally understand the middle age comment.. Am there myself. Though I rock the processor In my car.biggrin.gif

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well it came in and I got it installed. It has considerably more low end than the factory unit which I like. So far i like it. Wife likes it, too. Nice front sound stage and decent fill. Still playing with the limited tweaking capability (Bass, Mid, Treble, B Boost, and Loudness). What I didn't expect (and obviously overlooked when browsing the manual before purchase) was a SP SELECT feature:

(From Manual) "SP SELECT OFF/ 5/4/ 6 × 9/6/ OEM: Selects according to the speaker size (5 inches or 4 inches, 6×9 inches or 6 inches or OEM speakers) for optimum performance."

I spooked myself with it a little. To change it you have to remove the face and press the reset button and re-do the initial setup. Well, when I did and cranked it back up I was faced with bad engine whine and a loud repeating pop at higher volumes. Turned out to be the AUX patch cable wasn't fully seated.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page