Best 6.5" Coaxial Speaker for ~$120 a pair - Quality over Volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I'm new to car audio and just checked out some speakers at Best Buy. My favorites from what they had were the Polk DXI651 and the Alpine SPE-6000 with the Polk having the slight edge up on the Alpine with better clarity.

I'm looking for the best sounding speakers I can get. I'm not planning initially on having an amp or a sub so good bass would be nice but is not essential. How does the Polk and Alpine compare with what you've heard in the $80-$150 range? What recommendations do you have?

If it helps, I have a 2003 Honda Civic LX and I'm looking to put these in the doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yeah the Alpine type S 6 1/2-6 3/4 speakers are hard to beat. For bass, the bigger the cone the better it usually produces bass. When installing, make sure to seal any large holes on the inner door skin (not water drain holes in the bottom) to give you better low end response.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

Yeah the Alpine type S 6 1/2-6 3/4 speakers are hard to beat. For bass, the bigger the cone the better it usually produces bass. When installing, make sure to seal any large holes on the inner door skin (not water drain holes in the bottom) to give you better low end response.

hmm, interesting, I actually preferred the polk (sorry if my wording was a little confusing) over the alpine for the 6.5 in. but I loved the Alpine SPE-6090 (I'm putting 6"x9"s in the back) and didn't get a chance to hear the polk's 6x9s because they weren't at the store. Most of the detailed comparison between the two was done on a jazz female vocal song.

So the type S speakers are highly-regarded? Do you or anyone know about the sound of the DXI690? All recommendations and input are greatly appreciated.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Not familiar with the polks as far as listening. I have installed the Type S speakers and thought that for a car audio driver, it did very well. The new type R are even more amazing but well out of the budget. I am all for, if you like it, get it. pretty sure the polks will suit your needs as well as the Alpines.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page