Wanna hear opinions about headunit and subwoofer upgrade! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought my car about five years ago, it had some decent car audio already installed. Never bothered about setting or anything until now.

Sitting in my VW golf 5 is the following :

DEH-P5630MP www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/DEH-P5630MP/page.html
DLS UP36 3-way speaker system http://autosound21.co.kr/shop/board_data/automanual/dls-speaker-UP36-spec.pdf
DLS Ultimate A6
2x12 " Cerwin Vega MAX12 subwoofer not sure but I think it's these http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_16863_Cerwin_Vega_VMAX_124.aspx
2x JBL GTO 2000

The plan is to upgrade to get a better sound quality sound (think its called SQL around here).

From what I've heard cerwin vega is kind of a SQL/disco heavy bass subwoofer.
So I think about changing subwoofer to something else, 2x8",1x10" or 1x12"?
As Im used to 2x12", I still want a subwoofer with priority is SQL, but still being able to get some nice bass feeling.

Heard good things about a sub called Gladen SQX 10 VB High-Performance.

And headunit I think about getting either Alpine 178BT or Pioneer DEH-80PRS.
Some people saying alpine is the best, while others say pioneer.. No idea here what to get.

What would you upgrade if you had around 600USD? Live in sweden, so probably will have a hard time getting subwoofers made over there..

PS. I really not into this, got no clue about settings, and such.. Basiclly my dad bought this car 6years ago with the audio already installed. 1 year ago I bought it and most of the time I've been happy with the disco-heavybass sound. Also quite satisfied while listening to pop/rock/ambient/all kinds of music.

But Im done turning volume to max just to make whole car vibrate :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

bump!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The 80prs is a pretty cool head unit that will allow you to run active, have some auto tune functionality. If you want to have a lot of adjust-ability via EQ, then the Pioneer would be the way to go. The alpine is a nice head unit as well. I rock Alpine in my vehicle. No complaints.

You are running (2) 2 channel amplifiers. (75 watts X 2) 220 watts bridged to 4 ohms.

I would suggest adding a mono amplifier and up the power to your subs if they will handle it. A JBL GTO14001 would supply 1200 watts at 4 ohm and 1500 watts at 2 ohm for about 9db of gain with your current system. IF THE SUBS WILL HANDLE THE POWER> very important!

Something you may try is a change in the sub enclosure. Is the enclosure sealed or ported? If sealed, look for a ported design. Something that should give a bump in the low end. (~30-35 hertz tuning).It appears that you are driving a hatchback (the holy grail of cars for bass response.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm! I dont really care about "alot of ajust-ability EQ" I wont mix alot, I just want so setup the settings right then leave them be. As I not into configuring car sound, which of these is easiest to setup? smile.gif

Always thought my dls ultimate a6 was more then enough to drive my sub. Whats the reason for getting another mono amp?

It's sealaed (no holes), from what ive read isnt ported most mostly used my SPL people?

What do you mean with hatchback, holy grail of cars etc. biggrin.gif

Sorry for asking these stupid questions, but i totally lost when it comes to car audio smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well shux.... My fault... I missed the a6 part. Plenty of power.

Hatch back is a car without a trunk/boot. Rear is accessed through a door/ hatch. The y are very bass friendly.

So now I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to do. You want as much bass or more than you currently have and better sound quality. Right?

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe i was unclear before. It feels as if they guy who built this system kinda focues abit on SPL.. While I would much rather have better sound quality/SQ/balanced sound instead of SPL. That's why I thought it might be good to get a new head unit and a new subwoofer, like 10".
But again, im totally newbie in car audio smile.gif Maybe a new head unit and get some help to configure it the right way is enough to make it sound better biggrin.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahhhhhh.... Ok

Then get the pioneer 80prs. Put it in. Not knowing how your front two amps are wired to the three way (either biwired or each amp bridged and run as a separate right and left.)

Run the auto tune sequence and let it eq your system. Reduce the gain on sub amp to more level match the front end. If you want to get some space back, then yeah I suggest dropping to a single 12. You can even use just one of your current subs or if you want to buy a new one just cause, then in a sealed enclosure, just find one that fits your budget.

I would rather you have the capability of excessive bass with the ability to reduce the output then to revamp the subs and then you end up with no ability to get loud like before.

And for the record, a proper ported enclosure has better distortion response than sealed the louder you listen due to the reduction of woofer excursion.

XBL-Steelhouse1

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page