AVS Special Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milwaukee suburbs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm looking at getting a new Cayman S (981), and the only audio options are either really poor (base, CDR+, Bose) or massively over-priced (Burmester - $6K+). The trouble is that pretty much everything in the Porsche appears to be tightly integrated, so I'm not sure that there is an easy way to do a full system upgrade. That said, test-listening to the Bose system made me want to puke - it really, truly, is a horrible-sounding system, and particularly at this price point. Almost any comparably-priced luxury car has a relatively good-sounding base stereo - why does Porsche put such junk in their cars and then try to charge big $$$? Anyway:
1) Has anyone here done an aftermarket swap in one of these cars?
2) Does anyone know how decent (or poor) the sound quality is in the base or CDR+ head units is?
3) Does anyone know if the wiring with CDR+ and/or Bose would allow a relatively simple swap of amps and drivers (hoping that the Bose head unit doesn't have screwy built-in EQ to compensate for cheap speakers)?
4) Does anyone know whether or not all of the amp/speaker pre-wiring is in every car, or if it is only present when the car comes with one of the "upgrades"?
5) Any thoughts on shops in the SouthEast that have done this sort of work and can be trusted not to trash a brand new Porsche?
Thanks in advance....