Car receiver that will play Flac through USB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search here and found a few older threads and wondered if there are any decks today that will play Flac files through USB? I recently converted almost my whole CD collection onto a 1 TB USB portable drive into Flacs to play through my WD Live media player. I need to get a new car deck so something that would play this format would be great. I think it would be more practical to take just a 32 GB USB stick with me in the car as I can pull off a week's worth of music onto the key. However if there was a deck that could use a 2nd 1 TB drive mounted in the car that would be useful too.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1MCv99eYnQR/p_113KMM100U/Kenwood-KMM-100U.html#details-tab
post #3 of 13 Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks.
If this also played CDs that would be great but it might be all I need. I did some more research and found that a lot of head Units also play WMA files but in the fine print, it's only the lossy ones up to 192 bit. No mention anywhere of playing the WMA lossless.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Wow I almost thought I was reading my own post from another forum a few months ago. At that time I didn't find anything. The $79 solution from Kenwood didn't seem like a good option to me, I even sent Kenwood a bit of a nasty e-mail telling them how idiotic it was to put the FLAC capability only in their cheapest deck... a deck targeting a market that wouldn't even know what the capability is.

Anyway JVC is your solution. Interesting JVC and Kenwood are the same company, maybe JVC is meant to be the higher end line. This is a GPS Navigation deck... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWNT310/JVC-KW-NT310.html?tp=20212 that plays FLAC. I have not looked through their other decks but my guess is they have standard decks that do it. I ended up with a Kenwood that plays WAV in my truck before discovering the JVC but put the JVC-KW-NT310 in my Civic. Will probably later put the JVC in the truck.

mk
post #5 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might want to look at a FiiO X3 audio player. You can play about anything you want and load them on a 64gb card.
All you need is a audio input for your radio and you can take it anywhere. It is also has gapless playback, witch you will have a very hard time
finding a radio that will do that.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 12
I just use my Samsung galaxy s4 with 64gb ext mem card with poweramp. it plays flac
post #7 of 13 Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaw View Post

You might want to look at a FiiO X3 audio player. You can play about anything you want and load them on a 64gb card.
All you need is a audio input for your radio and you can take it anywhere. It is also has gapless playback, witch you will have a very hard time
finding a radio that will do that.

Thanks, this does sound very nice. I am also looking into a new smartphone that might do the same as noted by the previous poster.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's not that they put Flac on the cheapest set. It's that the HUs with no CD drive are a LOT less costly to make. There are many new HUs with no optic drive now called Digital Media Recievers.

I found 5 or 6 units by Power Acoustik that will play Flac at Sonic Electronix. Some are 2 Din and others have motorized drive displays.

Here's one of the less costly ones. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43650_Power-Acoustik-PD-622NB.html

This one comes with a desktop dock! http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43655_Power-Acoustik-PD-718NB.html

And this has a 9.3" screen and Dock! http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43653_Power-Acoustik-PD-931NB.html
post #9 of 13 Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 PM

The new Pioneer "NEX" Series all support FLAC through USb and SD.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
While I've been waiting for parts to start my truck install, I've been thinking about this FLAC issue also. My Sony XAV-601BT is out of the box but not installed. It doesn't play FLAC files. While waiting I saw a YouTube of a new Sony XAV-612BT with HDMI. That made me curious if it would play FLAC files. Just to meet the HDMI standards means it has to be able to play hi res audio.

Anybody know anything about this double din HU? Mine should still be considered unused if I were to upgrade it.

I shouldn't loose site of the fact that both my Sony and my Galaxy S3 have MirrorLink and the S3 plays FLAC.

Patrick
post #11 of 13 Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougw133 View Post

The new Pioneer "NEX" Series all support FLAC through USb and SD.

I'm curious how you determined this? I just visited Pioneer's website, and it doesn't make any reference to FLAC on the site, or in the PDF manuals that can be viewed. I could see it playing FLAC via BT, like any other BT-capable DIN, but didn't see anything about FLAC support through USB.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbd1 View Post

I'm curious how you determined this? I just visited Pioneer's website, and it doesn't make any reference to FLAC on the site, or in the PDF manuals that can be viewed. I could see it playing FLAC via BT, like any other BT-capable DIN, but didn't see anything about FLAC support through USB.

Seems they shuffled the site around bit. hard to find the "Compare"

Here is the link, just compare two models and click the "playback" tab. States FLAC is supported by all models.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/ch.GPS-Navigation.Compare
post #13 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone find any other head units that play FLAC's? Any follow up on the units mentioned above? I'm getting serious about replacing my 15 year old 12 disc player.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page